Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 04:31 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times

Advertisements

I drank fluoridated water in all three of my pregnancies. My kids are smart adults.

I don't know. There is naturally fluoridated drinking water and I would wonder if an IQ study has been done on those populations which have drunk it for decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 02:59 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
They must not have fluoridated water in Japan or Korea, where IQs have not been lowered ten points to US levels. And we all know that no race is superior to another, so it must be something like that causing it.

Old 09-06-2019, 07:54 PM

6,344 posts, read 2,898,603 times
Quote:
The study found even in cities that had fluoridated water, women got most of their fluoride from other sources, such as food, tea and toothpaste, "so I think it's a mistake to focus too much on the water fluoridation piece here."
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...s-intelligence

Fluoride fear mongering fail.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:00 PM

50,794 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
It actually confirms that fluoride during pregnancy lowers IQ. It just states people get it more from other places than from water. But if I were pregnant I wouldn’t take that to mean consuming lots of fluoridated water is fine, it still concludes in the end that pregnant women should limit intake of fluoride. Certainly that would include fluoridated water even if it’s not the main source of fluoride.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I drank fluoridated water in all three of my pregnancies. My kids are smart adults.

I don't know. There is naturally fluoridated drinking water and I would wonder if an IQ study has been done on those populations which have drunk it for decades.
It didn’t state it lowered them significantly just a few points. So instead of 125 maybe their IQ would be 130 without fluoride. 125 is still high. The article states it matters more at the lower end as it would put perhaps millions of kids who might have been borderline into the intellectually disabled range. That makes a big difference when it comes to school budgets, disability, etc.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:25 PM

6,344 posts, read 2,898,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It actually confirms that fluoride during pregnancy lowers IQ. It just states people get it more from other places than from water. But if I were pregnant I wouldn’t take that to mean consuming lots of fluoridated water is fine, it still concludes in the end that pregnant women should limit intake of fluoride. Certainly that would include fluoridated water even if it’s not the main source of fluoride.
No - because too many variables were not taken into account. No one knows how much fluoride any of these women really got. Just because the water isn't fluoridated does mean they are not getting fluoride from other sources.

Old 09-07-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
No - because too many variables were not taken into account. No one knows how much fluoride any of these women really got. Just because the water isn't fluoridated does mean they are not getting fluoride from other sources.
If you re-read my post, I acknowledged more than once that the article stated more of it was coming from other sources than water. But regardless the conclusion is still the same, that high fluoride levels in pregnant women results in lower IQ babies. Therefore fluoride should be avoided from as many sources as possible if you’re pregnant, including water. I’m not really sure what you’re arguing.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:23 PM

2,495 posts, read 867,239 times
"Effects of drinking water fluorosis on L-type calcium channel of hippocampal neurons in mice."
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/30583209/

Old 09-07-2019, 05:47 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It didn’t state it lowered them significantly just a few points. So instead of 125 maybe their IQ would be 130 without fluoride. 125 is still high. The article states it matters more at the lower end as it would put perhaps millions of kids who might have been borderline into the intellectually disabled range. That makes a big difference when it comes to school budgets, disability, etc.
This is one study. Fluoridated water occurs naturally and I would like to see a study of people who have drunk naturally occurring fluoridated water in their communities for generations. Frankly I don’t believe this. If it shows up in other studies in other locales, then I’ll believe it.

How could you even measure “lower IQ” if it were only a few points lower? Makes no sense.

Old 09-07-2019, 06:17 PM

2,495 posts, read 867,239 times
Fluoride ions bind to calcium (the latter which neural pathways use); that's why it's deleterious to brain function. People who ingest lead and mercury naturally don't do all that great either.

Fluoride ions binding to calcium is the whole idea behind tooth enamel remineralization--which is a topical application. You're not supposed to eat it. (Nobody should be eating antibacterial skin wound ointments either.)

And nobody swishes water around their teeth when they drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events