Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2019, 05:23 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,949,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
When I've had to deal with hearing impaired customers the communication is almost always written, sometimes spelled out on a phone or tablet type device rather than paper. I can't imagine why this woman would go to a jack in the box at 4am unprepared without some alternative method of communication. It does seem like she may have had an agenda. Not that it excuses the doofus for making fun of her, but c'mon two hours arguing while recording it doesn't sound like hunger to me.

Utilizing written communication would require going to the window to order, not talking through the speaker. Isn't that why she went up to the window and bypassed the speaker?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 05:47 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I do not think the drive through is the place for a deaf person to place an order. Nor is it a place for a mute person to place an order. Nor a blind person. Nor a pedestrian (it is a DRIVE up, not a WALK up!). Nor someone who does not speak American English.
I wonder how many people were working that night who were conversant in sign language?

However, the employee was just as wrong as the customer. The manager ( shift boss) should have been brought in for guidance immediately. "HELP! I can not take this person's order, what should I do?"
Yes, to me also it seems like an entitled person looking for a confrontation with a payday at the end. I would love to be on the jury for that lawsuit! I would ask "Is it reasonable to require that every employer have on staff at all times employees conversant in every possible sign language and spoken language on Earth??"
IMO, no it is not reasonable.
So, is this a case of where the "victim" was partially at fault or am I getting that interpretation wrong? Note that my prev. post doesn't apply to things such as abuse or sexual assault on the victim's end. Just had to put that out there.

Old 09-10-2019, 06:01 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
He's irrelevant. Whether he is there or not makes no difference. Say he hadn't been. they could pull up. Maybe the person would have felt insulted having their son help them.. Whatever.. Since he is not relevant, no need to mention him.

Regardless. Employee shouldn't have taken the bait. So, that's on him.

Remember the video a few years back of the Chick-Fil-A employee at the drive thru? Where the guy kept baiting her and harassing her.. then posted the video to Youtube thinking he was about to be the social justice hero.. And was promptly fired from his job, lost his house and last I checked STILL couldn't get a job because of his actions?

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/outintheope...self-1.4596546

So, that seems to be an update on him as of 2018. I don't necessarily agree with the level at which he was kicked around.. Did he deserve to be kicked around? Oh, after a quote like this..

yeah.. Absolutely. But that actually probably did go on a little too long. After a year or so.. Most people forgot about him, so.. Not being able to find a job for that long.. Tad excessive.

but, you know.. You shoot the Pope, don't expect to be welcome at church..

Oh, the point there was that Chick-Fil-A person handled it perfectly.. In so much as everything turned around on Mr Justice there. Had the employee taken the bait.. Very different story.

I remember that very well--and the a-hat got EXACTLY what he deserved for how he treated that kid who was, in essence, a captive audience. She, on the other hand, was the picture of composure.

You pay for your thrills.

Old 09-10-2019, 06:24 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
(snip)

What this means at the end of the day tho.. Most likely every McDonalds, etc is now going to have a sign at the drive thru that says "Hearing or Visually impaired customers, please pull to window".. along with the menus at the drive thru in braille.
McDonalds, and many other of the fast food restaurants in my area, already have signs like that "Hearing or Visually impaired customers, please pull to window". And, some McDonalds do have braille menus and have for decades (obviously for passengers not drivers).

Old 09-10-2019, 06:29 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Doesn't matter what she said or did. A properly trained customer service rep, no matter in what industry, has an obligation to DE-escalate the exchange, not add more fuel to it by being a jerk in their own right.
I really don't think this has anything to do with "training". This guy's a jerk, he works the overnight shift at Jack in the Box so he's not livin' the dream, and he had someone he could try to control. Probably not something he experiences very often.

Trying to train someone not to grab a power move over someone else isn't really going to work - he surely knew he wasn't supposed to pretend he couldn't understand this customer's request, and refuse her business.

Old 09-10-2019, 06:46 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The son took a two hour video. Who’s going to watch all that?
Oh, please do our nation a favor. Make sure you get rejected from any and all future jury duty.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:10 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,208,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Who is denying anyone sex? The age of consent is 16 in most states as long as the partner isn't more than 5 years older usually, and 15 in some others.

And we are not the only country to limit drinking based on age, ours is just older than many (although this article said some parts of India restrict to older than 25).

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...the-world.html

The US is the only country where the age of consent is above 17 anywhere, including the state of this incident. America institutionally obstructs maturing people from the opportunity to explore lifestyle choices, and then acts surprised when young workers have no judgment skills. Stop treating our adolescents like babies, and they will stop making infantile workplace decisions.

What really happened here was that a problem arose in the first moment, and both parties quickly escalated to placing blame, rather than problem resolution. Which is becoming an increasingly universal outcome these days. Even in forum discussions in the aftermath.

Last edited by cebuan; 09-10-2019 at 07:21 PM..

Old 09-10-2019, 07:14 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Utilizing written communication would require going to the window to order, not talking through the speaker. Isn't that why she went up to the window and bypassed the speaker?
She CAN talk. People here who watched the video said they understood her perfectly. She can’t use the speaker because she can’t hear anything said back, or even know when the person is there ready to take her order. Looking at the person in front of her she can read lips. She walked up to the window and verbally ordered and he not only said no and told her to go away, he mocked her repeatedly.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:16 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,087,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
If she was ALONE it would be a different story. REMEMBER, her SON who CAN HEAR and SPEAK was with her. This was a non-issue if she was a rational person and just asked her son for help. But she wanted to do it the hard way.

It delays the line if someone places their order at the checkout window instead of the speaker box. "There is absolutely NO DIFFERENCE in placing the order at the box or at the window"
Whole thing is a money grab. Employee was rude for sure but at 4 in the morning who the hell does this? And waits for two hours recording. Both her and her son mustn’t have anything to do at all, except to set up businesses to be sued.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:17 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
The US is the only country where the age of consent is above 17 anywhere, including the state of this incident. America institutionally obstructs maturing people from the opportunity to explore lifestyle choices, and then acts surprised when young workers have no judgment skills. Stop treating our adolescents like babies, and they will stop making infantile workplace decisions.
One has nothing to do with the other. As for age of consent, it has nothing to do with when kids start having sex. Kids have never said “oh, we can’t give in to this urge because we’re not age on consent. Kids had a lot of sex in the past 50 years and still do. Age is consent is mainly a concern for older men who want to have sex with teens, kids themselves don’t give it a second thought. It’s never been easier for teens to have sex as the greatest fear, unplanned pregnancy, is easily preventable without needing parental consent except maybe in a few backward Bible Belt states. My generation (I’m 57) had the same thing, I had to wait till 21. Yet I have excellent customer service skills and a good work ethic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events