Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 02:38 PM

609 posts, read 264,643 times

Advertisements

Look, if your job requires you to clean up poop smeared on bathroom walls, then yes, you are in a degraded job situation. I wonder consider a job like that to lower my standard of living considerably. I wouldn't mind things like changing out toilet paper rolls and paper towels in a public restroom, but any cleaning or maintenance beyond that would feel degrading to me as a worker. But once again, I've never seen poop on restroom walls and I don't believe all these stories that retail workers tell about customers pooping in dressing rooms. Never seen any of it and I'm getting on in years. Anyway these types of jobs in fast food were never, EVER intended to be long term careers for anyone. The fact that they are nowadays spells trouble for the fast food industry. Anyone trying to make a long term career as a fast food worker is being foolish and sad. It's like trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. as the proverbial saying goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 05:08 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
Look, if your job requires you to clean up poop smeared on bathroom walls, then yes, you are in a degraded job situation. I wonder consider a job like that to lower my standard of living considerably. I wouldn't mind things like changing out toilet paper rolls and paper towels in a public restroom, but any cleaning or maintenance beyond that would feel degrading to me as a worker. But once again, I've never seen poop on restroom walls and I don't believe all these stories that retail workers tell about customers pooping in dressing rooms. Never seen any of it and I'm getting on in years. Anyway these types of jobs in fast food were never, EVER intended to be long term careers for anyone. The fact that they are nowadays spells trouble for the fast food industry. Anyone trying to make a long term career as a fast food worker is being foolish and sad. It's like trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. as the proverbial saying goes.
im not sure how your baby boomer commentary on fast food jobs is relevant to this post.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:11 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I think maybe you don't understand what a slippery slope is.

Anyway, I'm done with this angle on the story.
interesting, i think that you dont. how shocking.

this taco bell probably is serving gays, blacks, whites, muslims, jews, etc. every day and has no need to worry about being accused of illegally discriminating against people. there is no reason to believe that they are on any slippery slope towards illegal discrimination.

ive asked people to leave my offices and so have my staff. im not on any slippery slope as i understand that law and i dont do it for illegal reasons.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:01 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
Look, if your job requires you to clean up poop smeared on bathroom walls, then yes, you are in a degraded job situation. I wonder consider a job like that to lower my standard of living considerably....But once again, I've never seen poop on restroom walls and I don't believe all these stories that retail workers tell about customers pooping in dressing rooms. Never seen any of it and I'm getting on in years. .....
Taco Bell is not alone;

This week the poop smearing I ran into was in the bathroom of the public library (very hot outside, so quite a few were vagrants hanging out). It's often a life by choice (I have been working with homeless shelters for over 30 yrs). There are many reasons.

FF and public spaces are taking it on the ear, as we (USA) enable lifestyles that are not tolerated in many other developed countries.

I volunteer with many immigrant businesses and skills training.
You very seldom fine them homeless, tho of very difficult circumstances. (Often victims of genocide & Government sponsored discrimination and abuse.)

We (USA) have all the elements and resources to right this wrong. But we cannot. and we will not. Tho it would be so simple to do so (but would step on a few toes). I have lived and worked in countries who can handle the problem, and they have. Their society and ALL residents are the better for it.

Businesses (Taco Bell) and individuals (you and I) do not need to fret / bow to pressure (or fear), as the problem is handled swiftly and completely by the government. Not pretty, but effective.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:09 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Back in the early days of our ancestors, everyone was homeless, by today's standards. They slept in trees, foraged for their food and never bathed. They apparently were accustomed to the way each other smelled, as they got together and reproduced. The subjects of this thread are following an earlier version of the way we live. Some folks think that they choose to be that way, but I doubt that's true. Often, no reason other than a series of unfortunate events in their lives, has put them on the street. How many of us are just a couple of strokes of bad luck away from joining them?

Old 09-18-2019, 01:01 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,229,484 times
This woman is not a hero, but a social media glory hound. She knew what the reaction would be bringing in 20 homeless people in a small restaurant. Sure feed the homeless, but do take out or do it in small groups of 5. What a joke this person is. I hope this is the last we hear of her and she doesn't try to sue Taco Bell. I totally support Taco Bell in this case. Some people just want to stir the pot all the time and there are always who don't try to look at all the sides of a story.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:05 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,820,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A woman in Louisville, Kentucky, is accusing a local Taco Bell of kicking her and a group of homeless people out as she was buying them dinner.

Shannon Gridley’s attempt at a random act of kindness began Tuesday night when she was driving under an overpass and she noticed three people sitting nearby.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/taco-bell...191604691.html
I was wondering why I had friends on FB with the boycott Taco Bell avatars. Yeah that's the store on Broadway near Brook st. The homeless people live under the viadock right next to the store because many of the emcampments had been shut down by lmpd, so they have nowhere to go. We're supposed to be a sancturary city...

Old 09-18-2019, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Maybe the employees heard about the homeless woman who stuck a needle in a Taco Bell employee a few months ago.

According to the article not all of the 20 people got food. Instead of virtue signaling, had the woman ordered the food and delivered it to them, they would have. Of course, then she wouldn't have had to notify WHAS.

Stay tuned, though. She said next time, she's taking them to McDonald's.
Ironically the McDonalds a block over was a homeless hangout spot. Had been for years.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
How did Taco Bell know the people were homeless?
They live right next to it under the I-65 overpass. See them almost everyday.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I wish these narcissist social media 'heroes' would stop inconveniencing the rest of the general public.

If these people truly want to help the homeless or do a kind deed for them, then buy the food in the store and then give it to them outside, along with directions to the nearest homeless shelter and help resources for them.
We may be a sancturary city, but we do not have enough shelters for them all and some of them would rather live on the streets than deal with the bullspit, such as with Sallys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events