Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 09:39 AM

1,056 posts, read 725,422 times

Advertisements

The five people who voted for this are stupid beyond belief. They need to take out the problem by the root: poverty. I expected better of a highly liberal state and city.

Prison will NOT rehabilitate them. It will only give them undeserved mental suffering and sink them deeper into poverty. If that's how it's gonna be, I'd rather be dead than poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2019, 10:00 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
I very much doubt that the police will haul the homeless off to jail. They will wake them up and tell them to move along. Wake them up enough times over several days and they will go and find someplace else to sleep.

Old 11-09-2019, 06:28 PM

838 posts, read 565,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
The five people who voted for this are stupid beyond belief. They need to take out the problem by the root: poverty. I expected better of a highly liberal state and city.

Prison will NOT rehabilitate them. It will only give them undeserved mental suffering and sink them deeper into poverty. If that's how it's gonna be, I'd rather be dead than poor.
HA! You think NV is liberal? It may be called 'Sin city' alluding to a liberal stance but we are very much a conservative city/state.

Old 11-09-2019, 06:38 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,208,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
What planet do you live on? A full citizen of the USA certainly has every right to be a vagrant. A vagrant lifestyle isn't unconstitutional.

Some of the problem is poverty. Albeit a small portion. Either the rents need to be controlled or wages must come up or both.
Not even "full citizen". The constitution applies fully and equally to every "person" who is physically present within the lawful jurisdiction claimed by the USA.

The constitution does not endow specific rights, it grants them all, except those which it specifically abridges with the consent of the Supreme Court. It is settled law that a person has a right to peaceably occupy space..

Last edited by cebuan; 11-09-2019 at 06:57 PM..

Old 11-09-2019, 06:50 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,087,205 times
They’ll all be coming out to CA where homeless can do anything with no repercussions. Anything that’s suggested that involves work or commitment to a program or educational in any way is deemed cruel and discriminatory.

Old 11-09-2019, 06:56 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,087,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
I agree, a lot of them are adults who made the choice to do drugs and not work. Don’t have much sympathy there, since we are expected to pay through increased taxes or panhandling for their choice of lifestyle. If they have addiction issues, get them help. If they are mentally ill, get them help. Letting people sleep rough and use the sidewalks as a toilet is not helping anyone. Some type of tough love program would be a huge benefit.

Just building them a house and then what? They need a program for the long haul.
Yes agree. Housing first is a great concept but it’s not reality. The houses are trashed and not kept up and the addicts just use drugs in the homes.

Old 11-09-2019, 07:13 PM

1,517 posts, read 990,346 times
Quote:
They can send them to Portland on a $39 flight.
Plenty of space on freeway frontage / traffic circles / city parks.
No hassles from police.
No air conditioning required. / lots of friends and dogs to associate with.
Can share RVs parked at city parks or try to get a spot at Dignity Village (homeless compound / self managed, so they are pretty picky about which homeless can stay there).

Be careful about sending them to San Antonio. They have a "back-to-W-O-R-K " program.

But you are safe in Portland.

Seattle is a coffee city, so the homeless are caffeinated and violent (will rob you).
Portland is a beer city, mellow behaviors. Lots of bridges to live under when raining. River View, no property taxes!
Please don't give Portland any ideas. Yes, I know you're being sarcastic. Unfortunately Metro grunts probably lurk on sites like this all the time and they'll probably take your suggestions to heart.

Oh, wait.....

Old 11-09-2019, 07:32 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Vagrancy isn't a lifestyle or a right.
Courts have ruled otherwise.

Old 11-09-2019, 07:50 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
What planet do you live on? A full citizen of the USA certainly has every right to be a vagrant. A vagrant lifestyle isn't unconstitutional.

Some of the problem is poverty. Albeit a small portion. Either the rents need to be controlled or wages must come up or both.

Exactly. I think I have fingered out a solution. We should have a law that prohibits landlords from renting to anyone who doesn't have a verifiable income 3 x higher then the monthly rent. No one in this country should ever pay more then 1/3 of their income for rent. Personally I would make it 1/4, but 1/3 is the standard, so I would go with that. This would force landlords to lower their rents to prices most people can afford, or their rental units would sit empty. That would be their choice, but I'm pretty sure most all landlords would rent out their property for a price people can afford, rather then letting them sit empty.

Old 11-09-2019, 07:58 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,621 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Exactly. I think I have fingered out a solution. We should have a law that prohibits landlords from renting to anyone who doesn't have a verifiable income 3 x higher then the monthly rent. No one in this country should ever pay more then 1/3 of their income for rent. Personally I would make it 1/4, but 1/3 is the standard, so I would go with that. This would force landlords to lower their rents to prices most people can afford, or their rental units would sit empty. That would be their choice, but I'm pretty sure most all landlords would rent out their property for a price people can afford, rather then letting them sit empty.
How would you deal with rentals to college students, who have no income, and retirees, who have no income but are living on their lifetime savings?

This would cause an absolute nightmare for people who are offering to subsidize a family member for awhile while they get their feet under them, and are willing to pay for someone's rent for 6 months or so.

In my observation, landlords usually can't lower their rents to what the poorest can afford - rather, they'd just sell the property instead of rent it at a loss and have what is probably a more difficult than average tenant to deal with for a low rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events