Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 03:41 PM

14,480 posts, read 11,277,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Yes, the employee was unprofessional and should get fired.

I haven't seen a picture so I am guessing the boy is grossly overweight? The story suggests that he is a picky eater and only eats junk food aka unhealthy food. That's on the mom.

Feeding your kid too much unhealthy food with the consequence of the child being fat is child abuse in my opinion.
On her Facebook page, the little boy looks average in weight. Very handsome young fella.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2019, 08:23 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,948,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I could understand the mother talking privately with the daycare owner. Her use of social media for an issue that could be easily resolved in private is wrong.

The daycare worker was publicly humiliated. Everyone knows. This will greatly hamper her chances to find new employment. What if she has massive student loans or is supporting her family? What good does it do to make her unemployable?

This use of social media as way to humiliate people for "justice" or revenge is wrong. Why not go back to tarring and feathering for humiliation? Let's be honest about this. Old school is the best school
That's why SMART people weigh the consequences of their words and/or actions before they act or speak. Karma is a b**** and she can slap hard when the situation calls for it.

Old 11-21-2019, 10:30 AM

6,344 posts, read 2,893,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Oh for Christ's sake.....it's the same damn thing.
No it isn't. It's probably triggering people. A couple of years ago at my workplace we were told NOT to use the term d-care. It's CHILD care.

Old 11-21-2019, 10:49 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,245,710 times
Can we not say "triggering" unless its actually a trigger. DAYCARE is not a trigger. People might prefer "childcare" but its hardly a psychological trigger. And if someone is so sensitive they are "triggered" by daycare, i cant really care about that. Sorry not sorry but there is nothing racist sexist homophobic etc etc etc -phobic about the word DAY

Old 11-21-2019, 11:14 AM

127 posts, read 61,396 times
There would have been a come to Jesus meeting in the office between the owner, rude teacher and myself. No shouting or threats as that's not how I conduct myself but just a couple of questions that would have her feeling really stupid by the end of the meeting. I would want to know what compelled her to write such a response and what she hoped to accomplish by sending such a reply? Then I would wait for some sort of answer and an apology. I wouldn't have called for her firing but hopefully she would think twice before doing such a thing again.
We would have an understanding by the time it was over.

Old 11-21-2019, 11:34 AM

745 posts, read 479,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post
The teacher that sent reply message was wrong. But so was the mother that sent along the original note.

The child's mother needs to realize that teachers have to deal with around 30 children each day. She or he doesn't have time to read little Jonny or Jane love notes from their mommy's or daddy's.
But she had and made time to write a note back to the mother. That note would have taken less than 30 seconds to read to the kid.

Old 11-24-2019, 08:29 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,417,031 times
Maybe the kid is a porker and is on his way to future health problems. Even the mother admitted he needs healthier choices. Maybe the mother is too blind to see she's putting him in danger for future medical issues

Old 11-24-2019, 09:05 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,872,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Maybe the kid is a porker and is on his way to future health problems. Even the mother admitted he needs healthier choices. Maybe the mother is too blind to see she's putting him in danger for future medical issues
Even if this is true, the note could be worded more diplomatically. Consider how lawyers write letters, where a stern but polite message is more likely to get a response than an outright threat. Consider...

"Dear Mrs. Parent:

I have some concerns about your child's weight. Please see me face-to-face if you wish to discuss it in more detail. While we are happy to accommodate a parent's request for us to talk to their child, it may not always be possible, due to time and logistics constraints. Thank you for understanding.

Sincerely,
Daycare Worker."

Of course, a true snowflake will interpret even this as a violation of their safe space. But most people these days are still rational-minded.

Old 11-24-2019, 09:21 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
That was the whole point of moms note, read the thread. Also posters who saw the child’s Facebook pics said he does not look fat. But in nutshell note was meant as encouragement for child who was given a healthy lunch vs what he normally likes. Mom also discussed the diet change with the school prior.

Old 11-24-2019, 01:25 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,948,844 times
Quote:

The mother has photos on her Facebook site of him playing in a youth soccer league. He is a normal-sized kid.

Hey, I have a nephew who is technically "obese" according to his BMI (6'4 and 255 pounds= 31 BMI) even though he has a slim waist and flat stomach/no gut. He is a 3-sport varsity athlete who can dead-lift 515 pounds. His BMI is all a result of muscle mass, not fat.

And even if this child did have a weight problem, that teacher is NOT an M.D. and had no business, therefore, trying to diagnose him and telling his mother to put him on a diet. She should have stayed in her lane and kept her big mouth shut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events