Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 09:23 PM

7,441 posts, read 4,213,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
But with kids this young, maybe 3-5, the workers should be interacting with them all day. They are taking them to the toilet, reading stories, playing in small groups with them, learning shapes and colors. They aren't just dropped off to go play on their own and just be "watched" from a distance, you don't understand what child care is.

Typically with kids this young, they need help with lunch, they need help opening their lunch box and pushing the straw into their juice box, etc. It;s not 30 kids who are told to get their lunch bags, sit down and eat. It should be small groups with a high enough adult to child ratio that they can give individual attention. ideally the teacher/worker is interacting with them while doing this stuff, opening their lunch box. A good teacher/child care worker would see that note, pull it out with some excitement, "Ohh, there's a note for you Billy, your mommy says she loves you and is thinking of you!" "I bet she is proud because you are eating such a healthy lunch!"
When my kids started preschool at three years old, they were expected to be completely potty trained.

By age five, preschool is pre-k. Without a doubt, these students were potty trained and fully able to retrieve their lunch boxes from their cubbys and open them. Usually, teachers take turns eating lunch so there might be 20 or 30 kids grouped together. The biggest problem is stopping the kids from talking so that they actually eat something.

It's funny because my daughter and I were talking about her pre-k class recently. It turned out, she was one of the few kids out of 25 who did not get a mommy note in her lunch box. I couldn't imagine that parents would hover over the children like this. School was from 8 to 1, a mere five hours. Surely, a five year old child could be independent for five hours without a reminder note from mommy?

This lunch box note thing should stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 09:33 PM

1,784 posts, read 1,223,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post

I know men who get lunch box notes from their wives every day. . .

Old 11-19-2019, 09:59 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,273,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
PC ALERT PC ALERT!!!!!

It's child care, NOT day care.

Words matter: ‘day care’ vs. ‘child care’

https://www.cpr.org/2014/12/31/words...vs-child-care/
Oh for Christ's sake.....it's the same damn thing.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:14 PM

6,245 posts, read 3,630,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post
The teacher that sent reply message was wrong. But so was the mother that sent along the original note.

The child's mother needs to realize that teachers have to deal with around 30 children each day. She or he doesn't have time to read little Jonny or Jane love notes from their mommy's or daddy's.
How the heck was the mother in the wrong for passing a note intended for her own spring??? She pays for day care and left a short note to tell a child--THE HORROR!--that his mom loves him and yada yada about the snacks. Did it break a law? Was it unethical? Was it above and beyond her pay grade/skills or put her in harm any way? I mean assuming the daycare worker actually talks to the child if she says a minimum of two sentences to him all day it can be that.

And she wrote her response in all caps with an exclamation point like a spoiled little child herself. Lazy and/or immature.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:21 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,675,567 times
This is why kids are growing up and doing crazy things today, that never happened with past generations, was it inappropriate...Yes, but cmon, firing someone over that? Mother needs to get a grip...she is probably considering therapy for this kid now, so he can 'process' what happened.

Old 11-20-2019, 05:33 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,255,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I agree. We know nothing about that employee. Maybe she had a history of stellar performance and was just having a bad day. Or maybe she was a chronic problem. We just don't know. By firing her, that's four other children that can't be accommodated there (many states have laws requiring an adult caregiver for every 5 children), and that may be four children and four sets of parents who loved that worker. The note-writing mother took her kid elsewhere anyway. The tone of the note suggests to me that the mother was probably a PITA for the daycare staff and her taking to social media to trumpet a note that the child probably couldn't read himself also suggests a pre-existing problem.
That's not something that can be chalked up to a "bad day". It is deliberate cruelty directed at a small child.

Old 11-20-2019, 07:11 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,139,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...hock/23863496/

Really sad and immature. Just another reason why I refuse to put my kids in daycare.
I'm a hypocrite. I put my kids in daycare but I now believe it's not the right thing to do.

Had I made better choices; I wouldn't have had to but back then I drank ALL the Koolaid. Every last drop.

Old 11-20-2019, 07:35 AM

35,803 posts, read 18,131,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
This is why kids are growing up and doing crazy things today, that never happened with past generations, was it inappropriate...Yes, but cmon, firing someone over that? Mother needs to get a grip...she is probably considering therapy for this kid now, so he can 'process' what happened.
What? What is why "kids are growing up doing crazy things today" that never happened in past generations?

Old 11-20-2019, 07:54 AM

51,099 posts, read 36,794,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
When my kids started preschool at three years old, they were expected to be completely potty trained.

By age five, preschool is pre-k. Without a doubt, these students were potty trained and fully able to retrieve their lunch boxes from their cubbys and open them. Usually, teachers take turns eating lunch so there might be 20 or 30 kids grouped together. The biggest problem is stopping the kids from talking so that they actually eat something.

It's funny because my daughter and I were talking about her pre-k class recently. It turned out, she was one of the few kids out of 25 who did not get a mommy note in her lunch box. I couldn't imagine that parents would hover over the children like this. School was from 8 to 1, a mere five hours. Surely, a five year old child could be independent for five hours without a reminder note from mommy?

Again, she was doing it for a reason. The child was a bit overweight and she was trying to get him to eat healthier foods. She gave him a healthy lunch that day and she was just trying to give him encouragement to eat the healthier lunch. I don’t know where your kids went to school but in the district that I worked and that would not of been a problem in the slightest. The teachers and workers tried to be on the same page as the parents to do what’s best for the kids.

But you would’ve been OK getting this note from this worker? Telling you to go away with!’s? Screaming no with three!’s and telling you to put your child on a diet? Think that’s a school workers place to do that?

Old 11-20-2019, 07:56 AM

51,099 posts, read 36,794,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Please tell me one field, any field, any job, where a worker would not have been fired for speaking to a customer like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events