Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 08:48 AM

29,530 posts, read 22,749,658 times

Advertisements

I don't know, 79 seems to be a bit old for that type of job regardless.

Flight attendant, 79, employed by Delta since 1962, is suing the airline after she was fired over a missing carton of milk as she claims she is the victim of an ageist smear campaign by colleagues envious of hersalary and perks

Quote:
A 79-year-old air hostess employed by Delta since 1962 is suing the airline after she was fired over a missing carton of milk.

In an exclusive interview with DailyMailTV, Ida Gomez Llanos claims she was the victim of a smear campaign by colleagues envious of her salary and perks, encouraged by managers who wanted to replace her with cheaper, younger staff.

After receiving annual pay rises over her 57-year career, Llanos was earning around $250,000 when she was fired - more than four times the average flight attendant salary of $56,000, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Delta Air Lines Accused of Welcoming Criticism of Long-Serving Flight Attendants to Justify Termination
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2019, 09:07 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,141,527 times
79 does seem old to be doing a grueling job like that. Her salary seems a motive for firing her, since the company could employ half a dozen flight attendants at the same cost.

It will be interesting to see the outcome and if Delta reinstates her, or Delta might make some policy changes to prevent this from happening again.

Old 12-05-2019, 09:10 AM

102,255 posts, read 108,215,878 times
Is it normal for jobs to provide annual pay raises indefinitely? I've never heard of that. Usually, there's a ceiling, except for COL raises to keep up with inflation. Is this an airline-industry-wide practice? Annual pay raises for the duration of one's career? If you start at 21, you could get raises for 45 years or more?

I think someone at Delta didn't do the math, when they made that policy. If government jobs offered that (for office staff, say), government would quickly go broke.

Old 12-05-2019, 09:15 AM

102,255 posts, read 108,215,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
79 does seem old to be doing a grueling job like that. Her salary seems a motive for firing her, since the company could employ half a dozen flight attendants at the same cost.

It will be interesting to see the outcome and if Delta reinstates her, or Delta might make some policy changes to prevent this from happening again.
Good for her, if she can keep at it, and do a good job. Apparently the customers are happy with her. I can't imagine having to be on my feet for 8 hrs. a day, or whatever their schedule is, at 79, living out of airport hotels, and so on. Clearly, her salary was motivating her to stay on, but she also seems to enjoy and take pride in the work.

Old 12-05-2019, 09:22 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,296,330 times
I understand the appeal of working into old age to stay active and engaged. C'mon though, retire and let a job open up for a young person!

Old 12-05-2019, 09:29 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,254,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Is it normal for jobs to provide annual pay raises indefinitely? I've never heard of that. Usually, there's a ceiling, except for COL raises to keep up with inflation. Is this an airline-industry-wide practice? Annual pay raises for the duration of one's career? If you start at 21, you could get raises for 45 years or more?

I think someone at Delta didn't do the math, when they made that policy. If government jobs offered that (for office staff, say), government would quickly go broke.
I think airlines are union. Which would guarantee her a certain amount of money. But i should think that eveyone gets an annual raise indefinitely. For example if she was making $1000 a year in 1960 and get an annual raise of 10% (which is very generous but maybe they have a contract) you would make 276k a year in 60 years. Raises are very small now, say 2 or 3 percent, but in the 80s maybe she did really well and got promoted and got a 15% raise. Most people dont work for 60 years at the same company thus this is an unusual situation.

Old 12-05-2019, 09:32 AM

10,599 posts, read 7,825,128 times
Looks like Delta obviously wanted her gone, so they took the best grounds available to them for termination.

Hard to understand why persisted with working in an environment where she wasn't in good graces with her fellow employees. Her pension would/will be quite generous, given all of those years of service.

IMO, 79 is too old for performing the physical duties required of an attendant in the event of an emergency.

Old 12-05-2019, 09:51 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,129,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Hard to understand why persisted with working in an environment where she wasn't in good graces with her fellow employees. Her pension would/will be quite generous, given all of those years of service.
She looks relatively fit.

She said she still has a mortgage and her house is in need of repairs.

She must live paycheck to paycheck.

Old 12-05-2019, 09:59 AM

15,467 posts, read 9,149,540 times
Yeah, it sounds like a totally legitimate firing to me. No way is a 79 year old going to be able to perform the duties of a flight attendant. They went through the process and fired her, just like they would any other employee who can't perform their duties. Tough brake, but you have to know when to call it quits.

I'm amazed that they don't have some mandatory retirement age for flight attendants. I have known a couple of bus drivers who were forced to retire at age 70. Why would they let a flight attendants work longer then a bus driver?

Old 12-05-2019, 10:03 AM

15,467 posts, read 9,149,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post

I don't think Delta was worried about her salary. That is a drop in the bucket for a company that size. If that was the case they would have fired her years ago. It's sounds like her coworkers were just getting fed up with covering for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events