Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 12:48 PM

26,659 posts, read 13,852,506 times

Advertisements

Crazy that a Pregnant woman died in the exact same hospital around the same time after being given a large dose of fentanyl. Something is not right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2020, 12:51 PM

3,034 posts, read 2,276,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Crazy that a Pregnant woman died in the exact same hospital around the same time after being given a large dose of fentanyl. Something is not right.
If you read the whole article, you'll see that her OBGYN (who approved of the fentanyl) is a terrible, disgusting person who broke a bazillion laws while on probation for sexually assaulting his patients. So that hospital has ISSUES.

Old 01-23-2020, 01:08 PM

23,943 posts, read 33,838,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I wish I could remember how I found it. I think it was linked on one of the articles I read about this guy.

She had a seizure for some reason. I wonder if she was allergic to it.

Thankfully they weren't that incompetent that they got the baby out alive after killing her

Old 01-23-2020, 03:58 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,111,358 times
After doing some research on this issue, I read something that surprised me. It's not uncommon to prescribe fentanyl for labor pain. Not unusual at all.

Old 01-23-2020, 04:48 PM

22,170 posts, read 9,734,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
This doesn't make sense---a CT scan for a cold? Hospitalization for a cold?
If his oxygen level was 50%, it was clearly more than cold. They rushed him in for treatment? It had to be more serious than a cold. Most people wait hours in the ER. More to this story than they are saying.

Old 01-23-2020, 04:53 PM

22,170 posts, read 9,734,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Oh lordy. Human error and patient death are all too common. I could tell you stories that would make you just as anxious as I am about spending any time in a hospital. It's a scary place, but I've also see some amazing saves as well.
I saw a study a couple of years ago that said that medical errors had surpassed the numbers of all other causes of death. Not sure if it is still the case with opioids.

Old 01-23-2020, 05:10 PM

11,024 posts, read 7,908,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Clara did us all a favor by finding what the family said happened so we have a 1st hand account in addition to what articles say.
No. She said "His facebook page tells the story.

He was given fentanyl (pain killer) instead of the antibiotics they intended to give him."

She doesn't claim it is what his family says happens, she claims it is what happened. I suppose that the possibility there may be self-serving information posted on social media escaped her?

Are there really people who truly believe everything they see on Facebook, of all places?

Old 01-23-2020, 09:59 PM

32,185 posts, read 27,419,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I saw a study a couple of years ago that said that medical errors had surpassed the numbers of all other causes of death. Not sure if it is still the case with opioids.
To be clear though often lumped into general category of "medical errors", most of what occurs in hospitals are nursing related issues; the two services (medicine and nursing) are different with their own hierarchy and care protocols.

Long standing "joke" in nursing schools and profession is that primary role of professional nurse (RN) is to keep doctors from killing their patients. In her (or his) primary role as patient advocate a RN is supposed to act to prevent harm, and or causing to patients. If nurse notices a medication order is incorrect, out of line, etc... she or he is supposed to either adjust (depending upon hospital rules), refuse to administer until order is clarified/corrected, etc....

Then you have fact nurses today still make far too many errors, much of them regarding medications.

From their first days in nursing school all students have the "Five Rights" of medicion administration drummed into their heads.

The RIGHT medication

At the RIGHT time

To RIGHT patient

By RIGHT method/route

In RIGHT amount

Over years to reduce medical dosage calculation errors a vast array of computers, dispensing systems (such as Pyxis), and other systems have largely replaced nurses working out dosages using pen and paper. IV drip rates once routinely written out in calcuations are now done by computer programmed pumps.

Yet, for all this nursing medication errors are still a huge issue; and yes, patients are dying because of them.

https://www.nurse.com/blog/2017/01/0...-prevent-them/

https://www.rn.com/nursing-news/nurs...or-prevention/

We see only what we look for; and sadly often family members and or loved ones aren't told exactly what happened to a patient. It's all swept under rug, especially if patient was very ill anyway.... Nurse or nurses in question may face actions ranging from nothing, to an adverser note on their record to being terminated.

Last bit is often why nurses (or doctors for that matter) don't self report medical errors. If they do there is a risk of adverse action effecting their employment and or license. For hospital's part they also risk facing adverse actions (lawsuits, fines, investigations, negative PR, etc...).

Old 01-23-2020, 11:06 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 19 days ago)

36,086 posts, read 18,359,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
No. She said "His facebook page tells the story.

He was given fentanyl (pain killer) instead of the antibiotics they intended to give him."

She doesn't claim it is what his family says happens, she claims it is what happened. I suppose that the possibility there may be self-serving information posted on social media escaped her?

Are there really people who truly believe everything they see on Facebook, of all places?
Well, I'm not one of those people who believes everything posted ANYWHERE, but that's why I posted the Facebook link so others could decide for themselves. It was clearly a link to what the family says.

On the other hand, I do believe this rings true. I believe he was given fentanyl in a lethal dose, instead of the dose of antibiotics meant to beat back the infection.

We'll see how this turns out. My guess is, that statement will prove correct. Just a sense.

Old 01-24-2020, 12:45 AM

21,098 posts, read 13,682,343 times
I recently watched 'Nurses who kill'. There is a chance, however small, that it was on purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events