Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 07:29 AM

208 posts, read 210,792 times

Advertisements

Don't know if this is the appropriate forum for this, or if there is another thread somewhere else. If there is, my apologies for the redundancy. I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank our truckers through all of these hard times. Driving many miles and long hours to haul the goods, whatever they might be, to all of us so that we can have the essentials during these tough times. Of late, truckers are having to deal with closed rest stops, closed restaurants or in some places, where they can't drive up and are refused service if they walk up (heard that on one news channel). And the extra strain put on them during these strenuous times. Today I saw a number of big rigs parked overnight at the local Walmart, where normally there aren't any, and I thought "Well somebody's work hasn't slowed down but has drastically picked up". Yes, I know, so have cashiers, stockers, etc. But in this thread I want to recognize the unsung heroes of trucking in this situation. To all of you truckers out there....THANK YOU!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 09:44 AM

5,299 posts, read 6,072,422 times
Seemed appropriate to pin this thread - an option that hadn't been suggested yet. A location to express thanks for those in essential services, and also to spread positive vibes in general.

Old 03-23-2020, 09:55 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,884,696 times
Thanks to the truckers.

I work in food production, we have two local factories with shipping departments loading those trucks out. Driver check in process and access are more stringent, it's not making it easier for them.

Old 03-23-2020, 09:55 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
I want to thank the construction workers in our neighborhood, who are wearing masks, practicing social distancing, etc. but completing construction projects that need completing. I know those masks are not comfortable to wear all day so I really appreciate them doing so.

I also want to thank the workers in grocery stores. Wow, what stories they are probably going home with every day!

Old 03-23-2020, 09:58 AM

I also want to thank all those parents who are homeschooling their kids, and also getting them outside to walk with them - I've seen a big increase in the number of families walking together in our neighborhood. Also, the parents who post "scavenger hunts" for neighborhood kids, where they ask people to place an object in a window or on a porch or wherever, visible from the road, so they can take their kids on "scavenger hunts" without getting them close to people. I think that's a great idea.

I am about to put a stuffed bear out right now for a neighborhood "bear hunt." As the mother of five, I know it's difficult to keep house bound kids busy and in a positive mood, even in the best of times, and these parents are under additional stress too. Kudos to them.

Old 03-23-2020, 10:11 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,930,657 times
Also moving goods are the freight trains. Thanks railroad workers! (I know one personally. )

Old 03-23-2020, 10:12 AM

44,370 posts, read 20,073,157 times
Great idea for a thread. There are a lot of unsung heroes out there, including truckers, who are ensuring that we have food on our tables.

On Saturday, I was driving on the Indiana Toll Road (I-80) and saw an unused billboard on which someone had painted a giant sign that said "THANK YOU TRUCKERS." It made me smile and I'm sure a lot of truckers feel a little twinge in their hearts when they see it.

Grocery store stockers, checkers and managers also deserve a big thank-you. I've been thinking about making a big thank-you card out of construction paper and delivering it to my local grocery store, so they can post it in their office for all employees to see. I hope to do that this afternoon.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 03-23-2020, 10:33 AM

2,106 posts, read 3,013,928 times
A big thank you to our healthcare workers who are doing what they can regardless of the fact they don't have proper supplies and or equipment needed. God Bless Them.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:07 AM

Mod cut.

For some insight, Tyler is the medical hub of NE Texas. I know several people who work in our local medical fields, including my neighbor who is an ER doctor. This information is from him.

Big thank you to him and to our local hospitals for preparing well for our projected cases. So far so good.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-24-2020 at 11:51 PM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:14 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,038,559 times
Thanks to TSA and CBP who gets tough love from everyone for just doing their jobs. they risk contracting illness year around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events