Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 05:38 PM

130,099 posts, read 12,078,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Sauteed skate wing with capers, brown butter, and lemon is beyond edible - it's absolutely delicious.

Yum yum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 05:19 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Well, if you read the article, once you get past all the sensationalist fluff, they tell you what it is.

A Clearnose Skate. It's "wings" are folded up under itself.
Agree but from the video below it looks like the wings may be fused together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9F4BYRpWOY

Old 02-06-2020, 06:48 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,478,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Agree but from the video below it looks like the wings may be fused together
Highly doubtful. Such mutations never survive long in the wild. The Skate would have been unable to swim and a predator would have picked it off early in it's life if it had been able to feed at all.

Old 02-06-2020, 03:41 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post

So, basically, this article's headline should be FISHERMAN CAN'T IDENTIFY WHAT HE CATCHES.

And?

So?

There are about 28,000 species of fish alone, and many creatures in the ocean which aren't fish. It's newsworthy when some yokel catches one he doesn't recognize?

First, no, it's gills are exactly where they should be.

Second, 'slits for gills'? Uh... yeah... that's a fish, all right!

I pity anyone who is a part of this vapid publication's target audience.
AKA - "clickbait"

Old 02-06-2020, 04:02 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,624,361 times
I once threw my hook in a lake
And pulled up a big talking snake
I found a reporter
Who gave me a quarter
Not bad since the whole thing was fake.

Old 02-07-2020, 11:40 AM

17,147 posts, read 15,350,560 times
"slits for gills." Wait, what? LOL

Old 02-07-2020, 03:58 PM

6,933 posts, read 2,389,177 times
That's fake sea scallops.

Old 02-07-2020, 04:25 PM

43 posts, read 45,679 times
I know this story from my dad,and mom,who knew a boat owner and fisherman who took his ship off Florence off the Oregon coast.He took a party of people (having a party)out onto the ocean.Suddenly someone turned around,and then all of them stared: something on a long neck,from over the side was looking AT THE PEOPLE ABOARD. And most of them had a clear view of it.My mom said"it was a horrible monster head and face."Now, I do hear from people who go out on the ocean, fishing, that when they are still, some huge whale will siddle up along, and put a big eye up, "just curious what we were doing;."So I know that big whales are curious about us,too, .The above person,my dad's old friend,was a very sane,blue collar person,and if he saw it,then it was real. I take into acct. where the story came from. This was a long time ago. But I never saw the story printed anywhere,or even heard it from any other witness.If I saw something like that,I would never tell people for fear they would doubt my sanity.So I can see why there are no accounts of this in any papers in Florence,Oregon,or else where in Oregon. And since that time, they have discovered the "whale shark" which only lives way under the ocean.Plus, I read that ancient stories about :"monster size squid" were really true. The crew of the "Kon-Tiki" raft that went way across the ocean discovered fish that were not known before. The major oceans have very deep trenches,areas,that no one has ever gotten into. Thus, we do not know JUST WHAT IS UNDER THERE. HEE HEE. Yes, its very possible that amt. of radioactive stuff that went into the ocean from Japan, has done some very bad things.(Whales with cancer,I read.) Don't be surprised what comes out of the oceans.(I agree, too, if you kill it you have to eat it.)

Old 02-10-2020, 12:18 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Dallas000 View Post
I know this story from my dad,and mom,who knew a boat owner and fisherman who took his ship off Florence off the Oregon coast.He took a party of people (having a party)out onto the ocean.Suddenly someone turned around,and then all of them stared: something on a long neck,from over the side was looking AT THE PEOPLE ABOARD. And most of them had a clear view of it.My mom said"it was a horrible monster head and face."Now, I do hear from people who go out on the ocean, fishing, that when they are still, some huge whale will siddle up along, and put a big eye up, "just curious what we were doing;."So I know that big whales are curious about us,too, .The above person,my dad's old friend,was a very sane,blue collar person,and if he saw it,then it was real. I take into acct. where the story came from. This was a long time ago. But I never saw the story printed anywhere,or even heard it from any other witness.If I saw something like that,I would never tell people for fear they would doubt my sanity.So I can see why there are no accounts of this in any papers in Florence,Oregon,or else where in Oregon. And since that time, they have discovered the "whale shark" which only lives way under the ocean.Plus, I read that ancient stories about :"monster size squid" were really true. The crew of the "Kon-Tiki" raft that went way across the ocean discovered fish that were not known before. The major oceans have very deep trenches,areas,that no one has ever gotten into. Thus, we do not know JUST WHAT IS UNDER THERE. HEE HEE. Yes, its very possible that amt. of radioactive stuff that went into the ocean from Japan, has done some very bad things.(Whales with cancer,I read.) Don't be surprised what comes out of the oceans.(I agree, too, if you kill it you have to eat it.)
ummm, what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events