Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 05:30 PM

1,487 posts, read 782,823 times

Advertisements

In case you didn't know, animals can get and give Covid-19 to other animals within their species, and to other animals outside their species. Animals can get Covid-19 from humans, and they can also give it to humans.
Humans can get Covid-19 from other humans or from animals, and they can pass that on to other humans.
Think it's going away anytime soon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2020, 01:34 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleeGee View Post
In case you didn't know, animals can get and give Covid-19 to other animals within their species, and to other animals outside their species. Animals can get Covid-19 from humans, and they can also give it to humans.
Humans can get Covid-19 from other humans or from animals, and they can pass that on to other humans.
Think it's going away anytime soon?
COVID-19 originally came from an animal. The experts are not sure exactly which one yet. It is adapted to humans, and no one knows yet whether it can be passed from humans to another species. Supposedly one dog has tested positive, but it is possible that the "weakly positive test" actually picked up a canine coronavirus species. Until it is confirmed that the test picked up COVID-19 it is best not to present it as an established fact that dogs - or other animals - can get COVID-19 from humans.

Rather than making posts like this one, which can start rumors, how about waiting until what you say is confirmed and also cite your source?

Old 03-01-2020, 01:44 AM

50,819 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
COVID-19 originally came from an animal. The experts are not sure exactly which one yet. It is adapted to humans, and no one knows yet whether it can be passed from humans to another species. Supposedly one dog has tested positive, but it is possible that the "weakly positive test" actually picked up a canine coronavirus species. Until it is confirmed that the test picked up COVID-19 it is best not to present it as an established fact that dogs - or other animals - can get COVID-19 from humans.

Rather than making posts like this one, which can start rumors, how about waiting until what you say is confirmed and also cite your source?
There is speculation that an animal I never heard of called a pangolin may have been the cause. It is, surprisingly to me, the most illegally trafficked animal in the world (for food). One of the animals available at the meat market in China where they think it began.

https://www.google.com/search?q=most...PlDp6mXCTnn9AM

I agree about rumor mongering, it would disgust me if dogs were harmed or killed because people are paranoid about this virus.

Old 03-01-2020, 02:32 AM

7,263 posts, read 5,143,446 times
Quote:

Au contraire.....Many, if not most, infectious agents increase their own chances of survival by being able to infect alternate host species which can serve as a reservoir helping to spread themselves to humans. Cf- swine flu & avian flu; Malaria, etc etc

It may help if people keep on the lookout for sick pets-- Reports could prove helpful to officials.

BTW-- HIV probably started in monkeys. I know I've cut way down on monkey meat in my diet over the last 35 yrs-- but it hasn't helped my cholesterol level any.

Old 03-01-2020, 04:01 AM

1,159 posts, read 620,805 times
Actually they are saying it's NOT from an animal, but from a lab experiment gone wrong..

Old 03-01-2020, 04:07 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
Actually they are saying it's NOT from an animal, but from a lab experiment gone wrong..
Who's "they" ?

Old 03-01-2020, 04:40 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Au contraire.....Many, if not most, infectious agents increase their own chances of survival by being able to infect alternate host species which can serve as a reservoir helping to spread themselves to humans. Cf- swine flu & avian flu; Malaria, etc etc

It may help if people keep on the lookout for sick pets-- Reports could prove helpful to officials.

BTW-- HIV probably started in monkeys. I know I've cut way down on monkey meat in my diet over the last 35 yrs-- but it hasn't helped my cholesterol level any.
I would just like to see the virus itself identified in another species rather than just the results of a test that may not be specific enough to differentiate between a canine coronavirus and COVID-19.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
There is no evidence of that.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...in-coronavirus

Old 03-01-2020, 05:41 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,325,479 times
Quote:
I would just like to see the virus itself identified in another species rather than just the results of a test that may not be specific enough to differentiate between a canine coronavirus and COVID-19.

There is no evidence of that.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...in-coronavirus
The pet dog - in HK has the infected hospitalized pet owner and the dog’s swabs from the nose and the mouth, but not a fecal sample were mildly positive
The supposition is that it could be just a virus contamination from the owner- they will inform the public otherwise: the dog is quarantined in an empty animal shelter and doing well!

It would be nice if everyone check their sources: for those who don’t read- Suzie produced a very reliable source where 27 scientists outside of China say that the virus looks “nature made”

On the other hand twice already the Chinese are hinting that a source of infection might come not from China based on hyplotypes of the many samples of virus from different locations

I am waiting for a peer reviewed responses (they kind of say it might be from the US, however the Chinese themselves denounced the conspiracy theory that the US outbreak of e- cigarettes vaping associated lung damage outbreak last year has anything to do with the COVID-19. On the CT scans damage looks different to me and the CT scans actually quite reliable in serious COVID cases- more so then testing)

Old 03-01-2020, 02:36 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,770,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Everybody agrees that Covid is zoonotic. But nobody until this thread has suggested that it can then jump back to an animal which acts as a reservoir for it to go back and forth with humans. Yes, that would be advantageous for the organism to have that super-power but evolution is not teleological, it is random. Someone has to demonstrate that that indeed does happen.

Old 03-01-2020, 02:44 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
It is zootonic in a sense it adapted to infect a human from who ever ate it. however, it is not zootonic in a sense a person can catch it from just being in the presence of it, from what I gather.

Last thing we need is for people not to understand this no matter how it really is, and go on some absurd mass killing spree because humans are well, like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events