Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2020, 01:51 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Typically, viruses do nor reoccur with the exception of shingles. BUT, 1) With coronovirus 19 we have no idea YET and 2) Viruses are ALWAYS mutatating.

Another question, is this a winter virus like most influenza or an all year virus????????????
How would we know that yet???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2020, 02:07 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,766,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The question was raised on how long our immunity will last after we recover or get a vaccination (when available).
More like if available. We have never developed a successful vaccine for a coronavirus. The SARS vaccine was never completed so it is unknown if it worked. The common cold is a coronavirus and a vaccine for it has eluded us. Another problem is coronaviruses mutate easily. I am hopeful but a vaccine is not a sure thing and of course the flu vax has an efficacy of only 50%.

Old 03-13-2020, 05:14 PM

17,571 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Many virus infections slack off in the summer because people spend less time huddled indoors. Instead of going to a restaurant, you have a backyard cookout and don't breathe other people's air. That doesn't mean the disease will go away. Just about everybody has had a dread summer cold at some point.

Some virus infections get worse in the summer. Polio was a summer virus that caused many swimming pools to close during outbreaks.

Maybe nothing will change. We'll know by August.
Actually because of sunlight UV rays that kill viruses and humidity which stops movement of the virus

Old 03-13-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Actually because of sunlight UV rays that kill viruses and humidity which stops movement of the virus
Not according to this: Sunlight does not kill Covid-19

But we know UV is effective at killing some bacteria. I suspect if you left something exposed long enough, outdoors, it probably would attenuate some of the virus. Glass absorbs short wave length UV so it cannot be indoors.

Old 03-13-2020, 05:30 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
I don't know, I lived in Hawaii and that didn't stop influenza from making the rounds. We were never very short of sunlight or humidity.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-13-2020, 06:34 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
Interesting article about using the “blood of the immune,” an antiquated practice used during the Spanish Influenza pandemic. Any thoughts?

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...ients-n1158476

Old 03-13-2020, 07:34 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Interesting article about using the “blood of the immune,” an antiquated practice used during the Spanish Influenza pandemic. Any thoughts?

This has been mentioned in other threads. There are things that have been done before and probably should be looked at now. Also mentioned are infusions of vitamin C. They should pay attention to what the Chinese did in ways of treatment too.

Old 03-13-2020, 08:00 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
Quote:
Mods, I am posting this as a new thread instead of letting it get lost in the long CV thread because it a plain English, no holds barred, explanation of what has happened, is happening and what will most likely be happening in regards to Covid-19 (Like the first thread I posted, feel free to move if you feel it is inappropriate as a new one.)

It is a podcast interview of infectious disease expert Dr Michael Osterholm (Michael T. Osterholm, PhD, MPH | CIDRAP) by comedian Joe Rogan.

PLEASE FORGET that Rogan is a comedian, this interview is as serious as a heart attack!

I was at a meeting yesterday with local epidemiologists and got a glimpse of what is going on. This complimented everything we discussed. The common agreement was that this week and next will fully illuminate this public health crisis and predict what the outcome will actually be. (The world lost a good month, or more, because China was trying to cover this up. And then the seriousness wasn't understood because we just didn't know the true contagion of this new virus)

What impresses me the most about this video is it's honesty and the fact that it is being done by someone from the entertainment community instead of news background.

This will reach more people because of the interviewer than all of the news broadcasts today.

The first 15 minutes scared the crap out of me and I have an infectious disease background in clinical pharmacy. It is well worth your time. Spend at least 15 minutes watching this, it's that important!

https://youtu.be/E3URhJx0NSw
Well this is the first (actually second) time we have agreed on something! We lost precious time thanks to China. If I see one more post starting with "Well, according to China ..." I am going to scream, lol. Thank you for the video I will watch it tonight.

Old 03-13-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:

My thoughts? It is technically interesting and probably has a good immunological basis to it. But I question whether it is practical for a major disease. And it is not without risks.

Like other proposed treatments it requires a lot of study with control groups and so forth to understand if it really works. The above linked article did not mention that it even saved lives when used against SARS, only that patients had shorter hospital stays.

We really need a vaccine.

Old 03-13-2020, 09:58 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:

No money in it, so they want the $.

It would probably work though. Oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events