Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2020, 10:39 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times

Advertisements

But did the study follow-up with the asymptomatic cases?

You can be asymptomatic for up to 3 weeks before showing symptoms. So on week on, you could be positive and no symptoms, on week 5 you could be on a ventilator.

If they are not following the asymptomatic cases weeks past the testing date, I'm not really sure it means anything.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 11:08 AM

21,769 posts, read 28,102,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

You can be asymptomatic for up to 3 weeks before showing symptoms. So on week on, you could be positive and no symptoms, on week 5 you could be on a ventilator.

If they are not following the asymptomatic cases weeks past the testing date, I'm not really sure it means anything.
I'm not sure about follow up. I know 3 weeks before symptom is rarer. The median is 5 days.

Iceland has been tracking all data here:

https://www.covid.is/data

Old 03-31-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I'm not sure about follow up. I know 3 weeks before symptom is rarer. The median is 5 days.

Iceland has been tracking all data here:

https://www.covid.is/data

They could come down with the symptoms the day after the study.

It's no different than if I test negative today, I could be positive tomorrow.

I don't think a snapshot of any point in time really gives us an accurate picture of a moving target.

Old 03-31-2020, 11:44 AM

3,348 posts, read 2,313,475 times
Though nowadays I am beginning to doubt that the situation in a global proportion all came from China. As China was pretty much locked down since Feb 1. With only a few evacuation flights that left China with all people quarantined after disembarking and that many countries blocked pretty much all entry from China or required quarantine for arrivals from China after landing since that date. Even if people left before the lockdown during the great human migration leading to Chinese New Years why wouldn't cases spike rapidly in February in other countries instead of March long after the tourists returned home?

Old 03-31-2020, 12:14 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Vaccine testing protocols mandated by the FDA are going to be responsible for much of the wait for this vaccine. Three stage clinical trials are required which included a toxicity trial (which simply makes certain the vaccine won't poison us). If that goes acceptably well, the next stage is an efficacy trial with a small group of people. Only if that goes well, do you proceed to the next stage which is an efficacy trial with a large group of people.

I'm undecided on this. However, I have toyed with the idea that perhaps there should only be one efficacy trial with a large group of subjects. It may be necessary to grant the vaccine manufacturers some statutory immunity from lawsuits.

We need this vaccine and perhaps we should consider cutting some corners.
I assume you’ll be among the very first to line up and volunteer to test the fast tracked vaccine on yourself.

Old 03-31-2020, 12:15 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://fox8.com/news/coronavirus/dr...k-in-the-fall/

Friends, this will be with us for a long long time!
Which is why we need to start thinking about our long term plan. Hiding from a virus can’t be the long term plan.

Old 03-31-2020, 12:18 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

In Asia news channels, where they've reported that in Wuhan. 30% of people tested shows no symptoms and even after 3 weeks continue to have only minor or no symptoms. Which is why masks are the only way to prevent people from spreading and shielding from unsuspecting carriers.

Old 03-31-2020, 12:25 PM

10,567 posts, read 7,767,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Iceland testing is showing 50% asymptomatic.
It's also been shown that asymptomatic individuals can have even a higher viral load than those with symptoms.

So, since sick individuals are told to wear masks when in public perhaps the assumption should be:

I'm sick, therefore I should be wearing a mask to protect others.

Old 03-31-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
In Asia news channels, where they've reported that in Wuhan. 30% of people tested shows no symptoms and even after 3 weeks continue to have only minor or no symptoms. Which is why masks are the only way to prevent people from spreading and shielding from unsuspecting carriers.
I think antibody testing and masks are needed, in great supply, to get our country to a higher degree of productivity.

Old 03-31-2020, 01:00 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I assume you’ll be among the very first to line up and volunteer to test the fast tracked vaccine on yourself.
The very first will probably be health care workers and people working with the virus in research facilities. You know, people at high risk who have the scientific expertise to do a risk to benefit assessment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events