Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2020, 01:04 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
It's also been shown that asymptomatic individuals can have even a higher viral load than those with symptoms.

So, since sick individuals are told to wear masks when in public perhaps the assumption should be:

I'm sick, therefore I should be wearing a mask to protect others.
Exactly.

The problem with masks being used to protect you from someone else is that the vast majority of people do not know how to use them properly. A mask does no good to protect you from exposure if you touch it after you put it on for any reason except to remove it, and then remove it without touching the mask itself, only the ear loops or ties, then immediately washing hands or using sanitizer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 01:23 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,963,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I didn’t realize guinea pigs needed to have scientific expertise or be the ones making the assesssment.

https://www.livescience.com/coronavi...l-testing.html

Old 03-31-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I didn’t realize guinea pigs needed to have scientific expertise or be the ones making the assesssment.
There are a lot of things about vaccines you do not realize.

Scientists have long used themselves as "guinea pigs".

https://www.historyofvaccines.org/co...ine-his-family

My post was to point out that the people who will participate in trials do have to go through the informed consent process, and there is no one better able to do that than health care professionals.

By the way, I am personally acquainted with the consent process to participate in a clinical trial. I still have the documents from the trial my son participated in during his leukemia treatment.

Old 03-31-2020, 03:31 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,314,448 times
Wow.. I just learned my family doctor is in quarantine because of exposure to the virus.

Old 03-31-2020, 03:34 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Wow.. I just learned my family doctor is in quarantine because of exposure to the virus.

I hope he or she is ok.

Old 03-31-2020, 04:19 PM

3,102 posts, read 2,225,930 times
The BCG vaccine (TB) might offer some protection against Covid-19. "Correlation between universal BCG vaccination policy and reduced morbidity and mortality for COVID-19: an epidemiological study"

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....24.20042937v1

This might also explain the variation in anomaly around the morbidity rates and provide a counterpoint to those accusing China of doctoring the numbers.

Medcram #43

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqKwAIIy-Mo

Both my wife and I (growing up in different countries) did get this vaccine in early childhood, but that was a while back. Regardless, the good news (if the trials turn out to be promising) is that it is an existing vaccine...

Last edited by kavm; 03-31-2020 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: Better reference

Old 03-31-2020, 04:54 PM

17,588 posts, read 13,367,588 times
Default We now kno that this can be airborne

Yesterday, I posted this:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....23.20039446v2

My Public Health friend answered me with this:

I am not surprised. It would explain the high R zero number. They suspect this in the church choir that practiced even though they maintained social distancing and close contact.

https://komonews.com/news/coronaviru...fecting-others

Quote:
COVID-19 infiltrated Mt. Vernon choir, killing 2 members and infecting others

“I think singing, with a wide-open mouth, and projecting your voice, can certainly cause droplet spread of the illness,” Leibrand said. “We know that two people face to face in conversation can contaminate each other. So I think this is probably an example of rampant spread by droplet projection,” said Dr. Leibrand.

Dr. Leibrand emphasized we have seen proof the virus can also spread through aerosolization, but he said he doesn’t have enough proof to guarantee that in this case.
Airborne adds a whole new dimension to this mess

Old 03-31-2020, 05:05 PM

3,102 posts, read 2,225,930 times
Thank you for posting these again. The Nebraska study is definitely very eye opening. It is, however, consistent with how Chinese and others have been looking at it. In China and a number of other countries, the use of masks (however flimsy) has been unequivocally recommend. WHO and CDC have been discouraging the use of masks by public (likely due to the shortage) but this advice has likely led to higher infections as well. CDC is considering revising it but it is late in the day...

Old 03-31-2020, 06:28 PM

I have posted this before in other threads so sorry if it is repetitious to some.

A mask does no good to protect you against another person if you touch it after you put it on. You cannot remove it and reuse it without sanitizing it. Ideally you would wash or sanitize your hands, remove it by the ties or ear loops (place it in a paper bag if you plan to sanitize it and reuse it) then throw it away and clean your hands again. Do not touch the area of the mask that was over your face.

If you touch the mask while you are wearing it all you do is transfer any virus on it to your hands.

As another poster has pointed out, universal use of the mask would reduce the risk of anyone who is infected with the virus breathing it on someone else. The philosophy of mask use should be to assume we are all infected.

Speaking of masks.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...al_taboolafeed

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 03-31-2020 at 06:40 PM..

Old 03-31-2020, 07:14 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
I almost always agree with Suzy, and when I don't, I usually default to her expertise, but I disagree with her opinion (and back up data) on the use of masks.

Sure if you touch it you transfer the virus to your hands, but I have confidence that if you touch your mask you know to wash your hands. I had to touch my mask once while out, but I touched with my gloved hand.

I think a mask adds protection, from the infected and to the uninfected. No, I don't think one should assume they are "in the clear" if they wear one, you still need to practice all the other preventative hygiene measures. I think we are the only country saying "you don't need a mask", other countries have drones coming up to you telling you to get your butt inside unless you are wearing a mask.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events