Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2020, 07:50 PM

4,177 posts, read 5,056,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
How could they predict the effect of whatever was engineered, though?

Um, past performance ?

e.g. using a bat-derived backbone, mated with a civet spike protein, you can extrapolate what would happen. And, if they had the time (likely), they could test the engineered virus in vitro with human, or human-analog cells...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 08:28 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
And today I'm reading about how a third or more of deaths seem to be from blood clots in the lungs. Not good news.

"A mysterious blood-clotting complication is killing coronavirus patients" is in today's WaPo which is also a paywall site but some of the COVID-19 articles are open to the public. Excerpts follow:

"... It was in as many as 20, 30 or 40 percent of their patients. ... Asymptomatic pregnant women suddenly in cardiac arrest. Patients who by all conventional measures seem to have mild disease deteriorating within minutes and dying at home. ... Autopsies have shown some people’s lungs fill with hundreds of microclots. ... the clogging of the dialysis machines, which filter impurities in blood when kidneys are failing and jammed several times a day. ... Then came the autopsies. When they opened up some deceased patients’ lungs ... they found tiny clots all over. ... clots might be responsible for a significant share of U.S. deaths — possibly explaining why so many people are dying at home.
It is now protocal to put CV patients on blood thinners in Europe and also many hospitals in US

Old 04-22-2020, 09:05 PM

3,084 posts, read 2,213,841 times
Presenting Characteristics, Comorbidities, and Outcomes Among 5700 Patients Hospitalized With COVID-19 in the New York City Area

Importance There is limited information describing the presenting characteristics and outcomes of US patients requiring hospitalization for coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).

Objective To describe the clinical characteristics and outcomes of patients with COVID-19 hospitalized in a US health care system.

Design, Setting, and Participants Case series of patients with COVID-19 admitted to 12 hospitals in New York City, Long Island, and Westchester County, New York, within the Northwell Health system. The study included all sequentially hospitalized patients between March 1, 2020, and April 4, 2020, inclusive of these dates.

Exposures Confirmed severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) infection by positive result on polymerase chain reaction testing of a nasopharyngeal sample among patients requiring admission.

Main Outcomes and Measures Clinical outcomes during hospitalization, such as invasive mechanical ventilation, kidney replacement therapy, and death. Demographics, baseline comorbidities, presenting vital signs, and test results were also collected.

Results A total of 5700 patients were included (median age, 63 years [interquartile range {IQR}, 52-75; range, 0-107 years]; 39.7% female). The most common comorbidities were hypertension (3026; 56.6%), obesity (1737; 41.7%), and diabetes (1808; 33.8%). At triage, 30.7% of patients were febrile, 17.3% had a respiratory rate greater than 24 breaths/minute, and 27.8% received supplemental oxygen. The rate of respiratory virus co-infection was 2.1%. Outcomes were assessed for 2634 patients who were discharged or had died at the study end point. During hospitalization, 373 patients (14.2%) (median age, 68 years [IQR, 56-78]; 33.5% female) were treated in the intensive care unit care, 320 (12.2%) received invasive mechanical ventilation, 81 (3.2%) were treated with kidney replacement therapy, and 553 (21%) died. Mortality for those requiring mechanical ventilation was 88.1%. The median postdischarge follow-up time was 4.4 days (IQR, 2.2-9.3). A total of 45 patients (2.2%) were readmitted during the study period. The median time to readmission was 3 days (IQR, 1.0-4.5) for readmitted patients. Among the 3066 patients who remained hospitalized at the final study follow-up date (median age, 65 years [IQR, 54-75]), the median follow-up at time of censoring was 4.5 days (IQR, 2.4-8.1).

Conclusions and Relevance This case series provides characteristics and early outcomes of sequentially hospitalized patients with confirmed COVID-19 in the New York City area.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2765184

Old 04-22-2020, 09:09 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
Um, past performance ?

e.g. using a bat-derived backbone, mated with a civet spike protein, you can extrapolate what would happen. And, if they had the time (likely), they could test the engineered virus in vitro with human, or human-analog cells...
There is no known coronavirus with the particular spectrum of properties of this one.

Old 04-22-2020, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There is no known coronavirus with the particular spectrum of properties of this one.

Not the exact spectrum of this one, but close enough (ACE2). It still took them 5-10 years of experimentation to arrive at one that does. And then it accidentally got out. I'll stop here.

Old 04-22-2020, 10:47 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Exposure Types and Transmission of COVID-19 in Health Care Settings

https://www.drugtopics.com/coronavir...-care-settings

Quote:
Health care providers (HCPs) are at an increased risk of acquiring coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) as a result of exposures to patients with the virus.

A new study published in the CDC’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report examines the effects of unprotected, prolonged patient contact, along with certain exposures, on the risk of HCPs becoming infected with severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2).

“This investigation presented a unique opportunity to analyze exposures associated with COVID-19 transmission in a health care setting without recognized community exposures,” the study authors wrote. “Describing exposures among HCP who did and did not develop COVID-19 can inform guidance on how to best protect HCP.”
Would it be terrible for me to say that I am glad that I retired 5 years ago??

Old 04-23-2020, 07:28 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
The mortality rate may be much higher than expected, when looking at excess deaths. When we look at Johns Hopkins or Worldometer, those numbers are under reported. Deaths will increase, when nursing home deaths are included or tissue samples form autopsies are tested. We have to account for the increased number of non-COVID19 deaths (home accidents), due to lack of hospital resources.

NY Times provides free access to Coronavirus articles, but registration is required. No subscription or payment is needed though.
Note: Sweden includes Coronavirus deaths outside of hospitals. Spain and the UK do not include Coronavirus deaths outside of hospitals.

28,000 Missing Deaths:
Tracking the True Toll of the Coronavirus Crisis
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ng-deaths.html
Quote:
At least 28,000 more people have died during the coronavirus pandemic over the last month than the official Covid-19 death counts report, a review of mortality data in 11 countries shows — providing a clearer, if still incomplete, picture of the toll of the crisis.

In the last month, far more people died in these countries than in previous years, The New York Times found. The totals include deaths from Covid-19 as well as those from other causes, likely including people who could not be treated as hospitals became overwhelmed.

Old 04-23-2020, 09:12 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Exposure Types and Transmission of COVID-19 in Health Care Settings

https://www.drugtopics.com/coronavir...-care-settings

Would it be terrible for me to say that I am glad that I retired 5 years ago??
I'm a relatively young Internist (late 30s), but transitioned to healthcare administration full-time about 5 years ago (almost immediately after residency and a fellowship). Can't say that I'm not really glad I did, when I did. Although I really feel for my colleagues on the front lines. Primary care is tough, challenging, and exhausting, but there was never a significant risk of physical morbidity or mortality from a dangerous infectious disease when I was practicing.

To be on the front-lines now is literally scary. It is pretty eye-opening how hospitals and clinics are struggling to get equipment. At our outpatient clinic we are struggling with PPE, as is everyone else. I have a lot of experience in tele-medicine, so I've been helping with these initiatives.

I digress....I have to say, like you, I'm glad I'm not on the front-lines, but I have lots of empathy for my colleagues who are.

Old 04-23-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
The mortality rate may be much higher than expected...

Gov. Cuomo just announced the results of New York state's random antibody testing:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/23/new-...uomo-says.html

Statistically speaking, 3000 people is a very good sample size. And, the people tested were all out & about. So with that percentage of people having antibodies, it means the infection is much more widespread than originally thought -- but that is actually good news, because it drives down the mortality rate. It also adds credibility to the belief that 80% of those infected have minor symptoms (or none at all).

Old 04-23-2020, 10:32 AM

3,084 posts, read 2,213,841 times
A very interesting idea -the therapeutic application of molecular hydrogen gas. This adaptive anti-oxidant has great potential in reducing/controlling hyperinflammation. It is produced by a molecular hydrogen gas generator and can be administered via a nasal cunnula. Inexpensive, non-invasive and with high safety profile.

https://youtu.be/-oh9Ztgjm4A

I am not a doctor but seemed very compelling to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events