Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 05:30 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It's a fairly new strain, so maybe they didn't reach any confusion, yet.
Well there is certainly no proof it's less deadly, which is what some people here are saying. Everything I have read says it isn't any more nor any less deadly than original. Even the things people are posting as backup only say it's not more deadly, no one has posted a single thing that suggests it is a less severe version.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2021, 05:55 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
More fear propaganda to incite more fear to the people and justify more restrictions and control.
You have convinced me that you really, truly believe this. Now back to the real world where within weeks the Covid 19 virus will have killed at least 500,000 people in the USA (398,000 here on January 18).

The real world where the USA has ~1/5 of all the deaths see worldwide from Covid 19. Why is that? Maybe some reasons are that many people in the USA do not take it seriously or pretend it is "just propaganda", or think that mask-wearing infringes on their right to do what they want to do regardless of the consequences to others.

But on the topic of Covid variants - the South African variant is different from the one found in the UK and it scarier, because it has the potential to make the current vaccines less effective.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55534727

https://www.masslive.com/coronavirus...istancing.html

Quote from Fauci last Sunday:

“You don’t want people to panic,” “But ... people need to realize, there’s more than one mutant strain. There’s one from the U.K that’s essentially dominated, that’s the one that is actually seen in the United States. There’s another more ominous one in South Africa and Brazil. We’re looking at all of them very, very carefully.”

Old 01-18-2021, 07:48 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Each new strain is concerning, but I think the most important issue is whether the current vaccines will be effective against all variants. If not, then it's back to square one.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 01-18-2021, 03:49 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Captain Trips...

Old 01-18-2021, 04:07 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
The South African strain(E484K), which hasn't appeared in the US to date that we know of.. That one is the one to be MILDLY more concerned about.

It, like the UK strain, is more contagious.. But it also has the ability to escape SOME of the antibodies generated from the vaccines.

What this means is that the vaccine could be less effective against it, at least until they update it, which should be very simple to do. But, it could allow infection, although a less severe infection than vs unvaccinated.

This is not verified as of yet.. But, the scientists say all the data looks like this is the case.. And.. Likely they will be correct.

Old 01-19-2021, 12:33 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
We are going to see more of these different variants, and at least one that has been in the U.S. since last
May has recently become more prevalent, like the L452R variant.

At least 25% of the coronavirus cases in California recently identified are the L452R SARS-CoV-2 mink-associated variant from Denmark. It has been linked to several large outbreaks in the Bay Area and is being seen more frequently in the state. Just two months ago it accounted for less than 5% of all cases in California.

"It's concerning that we have a variant that was actually pretty uncommon prior to early December that since then, is now roughly 25 percent of all the cases that we're sequencing." said Dr. Charles Chiu, a virologist from the University of California San Francisco (UCSF).

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...ag/ar-BB1cRmw6

I just hope that our current vaccines will work to fully protect against these new variants, at least for the forthcoming year, as so many people are hoping to be vaccinated as soon as possible.

Old 01-19-2021, 03:17 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
The emergence of new variants is a reason for urgency in getting people vaccinated. The fewer potential hosts the virus has, the fewer infections, and the fewer opportunities for significant mutations.

Old 01-19-2021, 05:19 AM

1,014 posts, read 479,885 times
Very bad. But they say it has no bearing on the person receiving the vaccine. It won't make them any worse off. I doubt it. This virus mutates 17 times more than the average strain. It connects to the protein spike. And goes out of whack. So I fail to see how they can say it has no affect on the person receiving the Moderna or pfizer-BioNTech vaccine. Two most popular out there. There is one other but not so popular. As of now, I have only read two people dying of the COVID-19 vaccine. Here in Hawai'i there are 24,385 cases about. Not sure what the death toll is. I think I saw on the Honolulu Star Advertiser commenters section, the survival rate in U.S.A. for COVID-19 is 46%. So getting up there, which is good news to everyone.

Last edited by tyCable; 01-19-2021 at 05:28 AM..

Old 01-19-2021, 09:13 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
This was bound to happen eventually, I bet it forces cities to shut places down again as a result too.

Old 01-19-2021, 11:58 AM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyCable View Post
Very bad. But they say it has no bearing on the person receiving the vaccine. It won't make them any worse off. I doubt it. This virus mutates 17 times more than the average strain. It connects to the protein spike. And goes out of whack. So I fail to see how they can say it has no affect on the person receiving the Moderna or pfizer-BioNTech vaccine. Two most popular out there. There is one other but not so popular. As of now, I have only read two people dying of the COVID-19 vaccine. Here in Hawai'i there are 24,385 cases about. Not sure what the death toll is. I think I saw on the Honolulu Star Advertiser commenters section, the survival rate in U.S.A. for COVID-19 is 46%. So getting up there, which is good news to everyone.

46% survival? If that were the case there'd be approximately 12 million dead in the US alone, which is about 5% of the population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events