Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 07:46 AM

10,021 posts, read 8,646,805 times

Advertisements

Years ago I was driving home from work around midnight, no other cars in sight, then a car full of people showed up out of nowhere and was right up on my bumper.
I was doing the speed limit and figured they were in a hurry to get past me so I pulled along the shoulder so they could pass. They stopped behind me and a couple of them started to get out of their car so I floored it and took off again.
I was driving an old hoopty truck and they had no problem catching up to me. They continued to ride my ass. We were in my neck of the woods and I knew the area like the back of my hand. I turned off onto this narrow dirt road that goes through the woods. It was full of curves, about the only ones that used it were dirt bike riders.
That car still followed me down it. I turned off my lights and stomped on the gas kicking up so much dirt and dust I couldn't see them anymore but I did hear a loud crash. Curiosity got the best of me so I got out of my truck and crept through the woods and saw their car smashed into a tree. One was screaming at another about wrecking his car.
I got back in my truck and finished taking that shortcut home. Glad I was in my neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2021, 08:14 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 12 days ago)

35,640 posts, read 17,994,810 times
This follow up article is interesting. I didn't realize Fouche was a PASSENGER in the tailgating car.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/stat...251954678.html

Old 06-10-2021, 08:54 AM

25,590 posts, read 17,310,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This follow up article is interesting. I didn't realize Fouche was a PASSENGER in the tailgating car.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/stat...251954678.html
The original article identified the car as a Ford Focus, with is a compact.
So now we have a compact car pushing the speed limit crammed full of 3 adults and 4 children.
Quote:
.....driven by a 31-year-old woman and also occupied by a 32-year-old man and four children, ages 2, 3, 8 and 11.[LEFT]
Read more here: https://www.kansascity.com/news/stat...#storylink=cpy
[/LEFT]
And every damn one of them was lost because they were heading to Kansas City on I-55, which does not go to Kansas City.
(OK. You might use I-55 for a few miles)

Old 06-10-2021, 08:56 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,086,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
...Too many people have grown up thinking they deserve respect and deference from everyone around them, whether they have earned or not. If civility isn't taught from an early age, then you will have an adult that thinks it's normal to respond to perceived disrespect with violence.

Well, I can't really disagree with that.

And I think part of it has to do with the trend for letting Johnny and Jill do whatevertheheck they feel like with little or no reprimand, and negative viewpoints toward physical discipline. For some kids that can work just fine, but others need a firm hand...or a paddle...from time to time- "Spare the rod and spoil the child."

Another part is children being raised by 'parents' who have no parenting skills and/or just don't give a rip.

Old 06-10-2021, 09:04 AM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
And I think part of it has to do with the trend for letting Johnny and Jill do whatevertheheck they feel like with little or no reprimand, and negative viewpoints toward physical discipline. For some kids that can work just fine, but others need a firm hand...or a paddle...from time to time- "Spare the rod and spoil the child."
I'm not convinced that physical violence as discipline for children is that much of a deterrent against reacting with violence as an adult.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 06-10-2021 at 09:24 AM..

Old 06-10-2021, 09:09 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
And every damn one of them was lost because they were heading to Kansas City on I-55, which does not go to Kansas City.
(OK. You might use I-55 for a few miles)
Lost? No, they were taking 55N to 70W. They would have been on 55 for over half the trip.

Old 06-10-2021, 09:09 AM

1,465 posts, read 623,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
Years ago I was driving home from work around midnight, no other cars in sight, then a car full of people showed up out of nowhere and was right up on my bumper.
I was doing the speed limit and figured they were in a hurry to get past me so I pulled along the shoulder so they could pass. They stopped behind me and a couple of them started to get out of their car so I floored it and took off again.
I was driving an old hoopty truck and they had no problem catching up to me. They continued to ride my ass. We were in my neck of the woods and I knew the area like the back of my hand. I turned off onto this narrow dirt road that goes through the woods. It was full of curves, about the only ones that used it were dirt bike riders.
That car still followed me down it. I turned off my lights and stomped on the gas kicking up so much dirt and dust I couldn't see them anymore but I did hear a loud crash. Curiosity got the best of me so I got out of my truck and crept through the woods and saw their car smashed into a tree. One was screaming at another about wrecking his car.
I got back in my truck and finished taking that shortcut home. Glad I was in my neighborhood.
Poetic justice.

Years ago there was a reckless idiot doing work in my neighborhood. He was flying around, going up one way streets, you know, just being a jerk.

I left a polite note on his windshield explaining that there are little kids who live here and to be more cautious.
Apparently, this ticked him off and he came back in the wee hours of the morning, doing doughnuts at the intersection and making a ruckus.

Then I heard a loud bang - lol - he slammed into a bundle of heavy lumber, causing some pretty good damage to his front end.

I love when jerks get what's coming to them.

Old 06-10-2021, 09:16 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,013,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post
She's a Gang Banger---

The charges are Inchoate...(depending on the 'Political Disposition' of the DA)

;(
That's an interesting approach....they were an initiation target?
Quote:
And people wonder about me carrying a -15 on long distance trips.

Old 06-10-2021, 09:18 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
For some kids that can work just fine, but others need a firm hand...or a paddle...from time to time- "Spare the rod and spoil the child."
That phrase does not mean you should beat your children. Have you ever seen a shepherd beating his sheep with a rod? They guide the sheep with the rod, just as you should guide your children through life teaching them right and wrong. There are other ways to discipline children that does not involve physical violence. That just teaches kids to lash out when they're angry instead of resolving issues in a civilized manner.

Old 06-10-2021, 10:26 AM

50,834 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
That’s really scary!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events