Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 12:50 PM

50,860 posts, read 36,563,313 times

Advertisements

There are actually people eating them now. There are all kinds of directions online for how best to preserve them so they taste fresh, LOL. It was actually the topic on the New Jersey talk radio station as I was driving home the other night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2021, 12:58 PM

12,052 posts, read 8,443,775 times
Haven't seen any yet. Our cicadas usually arrive in August and their buzzing is a harbinger of Fall.

I have an anecdote. Mom was a sixth grade teacher and one of the things she taught well was science/biology. She'd even bring living caterpillars into the classroom in the fall and the kids would watch them turn into pupas and then butterflies. One day they would release them and the room would be full of butterflies. The kids loved it.

During her last years she lived near me in a care center. Sometimes she was forgetful and disoriented but we still had a lot of fun together.

One day I found the discarded exoskeleton of a molted cicada and brought it along with me when I visited. She was chatty upon greeting me so I set it on her dresser for later.

As we talked she moved around the room. Suddenly the large "bug" caught her eye and SWAT! Down came the palm of her hand and that was the end of my specimen.

It was so unexpected and uncharacteristic of her usual fastidious self that I couldn't stop laughing. And that's what I said. "Well, you sure squashed that sucker flat." And then we were both laughing.

Cicadas. Glad it was only a ghost of of a cicada.

Old 06-12-2021, 11:04 PM

17,603 posts, read 13,388,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I was a friends house yesterday, they have many large mature trees, the sound from the cicadas is literally louder than a jet plane flying over, I couldnt believe how loud they were!

So far, my decibel meter only maxed at 59 with the cicadas.

Old 06-12-2021, 11:35 PM

2,851 posts, read 4,529,743 times
does anyone know - are there a difference between cicadas? meaning does the ones in northeast have different features than those in the southwest or southeast? the cicasdas here in the southwest appear july/aug during monsoon season & the news doesn't go nutso when they make their appearance. we don't have any issues with them splatting on your windshield or trying to drink your beer. they exist in the trees, keep you awake at night, then disappear when their season is done.

Old 06-13-2021, 04:51 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,931,515 times
Quote:
Ive also watched numerous ones on my back deck and noticed they are very poorly designed bugs, they cannot grasp anything slippery, and they topple over on their backs/sides ridiculously easy, many cannot right themselves and just die on their backs...looking at them, they appear to be top heavy, strange they are created this way imo.
I was hoping they were like the stink bugs in that way (can't upright themselves easily). Also they seem to die around Castor bean plants (which make sense since they're poisonous); all of them at the floor of my potted Castor bean plants were dead.

Quote:
I also noticed they are all over the expressways, cars whizzing by and 100s of 1000s of cicadas being tossed around, ran over on the roads!
They don't have any sense of where they are or where they're going, just fly around absolutely aimlessly. Though I'm still convinced they're doing it on purpose when they dive-bomb me. The only thing I hate about them is that they are EXCESSIVELY annoying because they fly at me and strike/land on random places on me (thankfully not all the time... yet; hopefully not ever).

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
All I know is that I'm glad we got a break from them yesterday out this way due to the rain. I generally do not like the rain, but welcomed it yesterday as the cicadas have been destroying my windshield.
Yeah, that was awesome on Friday. I loved being in my garden with the "attacks". (I love the rain though and wished it would happen more often with or without the cicadas).

Quote:
I was a friends house yesterday, they have many large mature trees, the sound from the cicadas is literally louder than a jet plane flying over, I couldnt believe how loud they were!
Yes that's how it is over across the street by my neighbors. Maybe the trees behind my house aren't large enough, but they're mostly (in this area) across the street by my neighbors. Man they are loud! I have my podcast blaring when I'm outside and once in a while (depending on the audio and what's being said) I can't make out what's being said. At least I can't be bothering my neighbors (which I always worry about when playing something electronic that's not attached to earphones; I should probably do that when the cicadas go away); but then that isn't likely anyway since they're so far away (not like we're right on top of each other).

Quote:
They will be gone within a couple weeks though, they basically come out, mate, then die... their offspring burrow into the ground, and come out 17yrs later to repeat the whole process over again, they feed on roots during this time underground.
CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!! (tired of hoping no one saw and/or heard me after I go through one of these things dive-bombing me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I live in an area that is supposed to see a lot of these this year and I have co-workers from surrounding areas reporting sightings, but I have yet to see or hear them in my neighborhood, knock on wood.
Lucky you!!!! Jealous!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Only males make the noise to attract the females.
Oh, is that what that cackling noise is then? It sounds like a rodent more than an insect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
I'm am rooting for the zombie fungus to get them.
Castor bean plants. Next time, fill your yard with them; much of them would be dead at the ground beneath the plant. That's my hypothesis at least. Need to conduct an experiment now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
does anyone know - are there a difference between cicadas? meaning does the ones in northeast have different features than those in the southwest or southeast? the cicasdas here in the southwest appear july/aug during monsoon season & the news doesn't go nutso when they make their appearance. we don't have any issues with them splatting on your windshield or trying to drink your beer. they exist in the trees, keep you awake at night, then disappear when their season is done.
Hmmm, could be. The ones in my specific area don't appear to be as plentiful as that guy was describing. They mainly stay in the trees, though you can see quite a few flying around; not hordes of them however.

Hey, your location says Pahrump! I used to live there. Have fond memories of working there--at Smith's pharmacy. Hated the location because I hate sunlight and no greenery. Just wished I could have picked up the store and my trailer and moved it back east [I think everyone else there would have liked that as well. My rental got painted an ugly light green too and it was my most favorite place I ever lived (the interior)]. How is it over in old Pahrump?

Last edited by Basiliximab; 06-13-2021 at 05:10 AM..

Old 06-13-2021, 05:08 AM

61,800 posts, read 87,269,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Cicadas? Hmmm, first I've heard of them.
Impossible! They are on every news and people are talking about too.

I think, we are lucky here in Texas. We do have cicadas a year around, and some species arrive every 13 years, but I don't think we are affected by the 17 years species "invasion". The last time Texas saw an emergence of cicadas was in 2015.
Cicada season in Texas usually means you’ll see more snakes.
Billions of Brood X cicadas will be seen across a dozen states.
Instead, we’ll be visited by the Brood IV species in 2032.

This is a Dog-Day cicada common in Texas:

Last edited by elnina; 06-13-2021 at 05:39 AM..

Old 06-13-2021, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Impossible! They are on every news and people are talking about too.
I took it that he was being sarcastic. (If not, that's pretty weird; he must be living under an even larger rock than I am!).

Old 06-13-2021, 05:30 AM

61,800 posts, read 87,269,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
They emerge in Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York (not yet extinct), Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and Washington D.C

There are over 190 varieties (including species & subspecies) of cicadas in North America, and over 3,390 varieties of cicadas around the world.
https://www.cicadamania.com/

Everything else you might want to know:
https://northernvirginiamag.com/cult...-need-to-know/

Old 06-13-2021, 06:41 AM

Quote:

This is a Dog-Day cicada common in Texas:
Oh, that's neat. Over here (south-central PA) they're decidedly black and have a red veins in their wings and maybe other parts (as recalled from my not-so-great memory). I've got to upload a pic now; will see if I can get one outside.

Old 06-13-2021, 10:26 AM

829 posts, read 630,524 times
Quote:
They emerge in Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York (not yet extinct), Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and Washington D.C

There are over 190 varieties (including species & subspecies) of cicadas in North America, and over 3,390 varieties of cicadas around the world.
https://www.cicadamania.com/

Everything else you might want to know:
https://northernvirginiamag.com/cult...-need-to-know/
I formerly lived in the Baltimore area and was dreading the cicadas this year because they're loud, messy and gross. Imagine my delight when I learned that our part of Delaware (Sussex County), doesn't get cicadas. Apparently they don't like sandy soil. YAY! Friends in Maryland have said they have so many they feel like they're in a science fiction horror movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events