Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 10:32 AM

25,461 posts, read 9,828,112 times

Advertisements

Love the cicadas. I'm going to miss them when they're gone. I find their hum so soothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2021, 10:38 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,839,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
I was hoping they were like the stink bugs in that way (can't upright themselves easily). Also they seem to die around Castor bean plants (which make sense since they're poisonous); all of them at the floor of my potted Castor bean plants were dead.

Oh, is that what that cackling noise is then? It sounds like a rodent more than an insect.
Perhaps you were visited by the Vice-President? LOL!

In California we had a couple of huge outbreaks of crickets in the 1970s where you had to keep your mouth closed to avoid inhaling them. I had one bury itself in my ear and had to pour in Hydrogen Peroxide to wash it out.

Old 06-13-2021, 10:53 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,624,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Love the cicadas. I'm going to miss them when they're gone. I find their hum so soothing.
Thats interesting, I read that in ancient times, their song was considered to be beautiful, strange how that opinion has changed today (for the most part), I think the explanation is, people are just annoyed by the bugs, so they dont want to admit they like anything about them.

They dont really bother me that much, I dont like it when one flys up in my face and I dont like the smell, but other than that, their song doesnt bother me too much.

Old 06-13-2021, 12:27 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,931,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Thats interesting, I read that in ancient times, their song was considered to be beautiful, strange how that opinion has changed today (for the most part), I think the explanation is, people are just annoyed by the bugs, so they dont want to admit they like anything about them.

They dont really bother me that much, I dont like it when one flys up in my face and I dont like the smell, but other than that, their song doesnt bother me too much.
Yeah, I don't mind the sound that much either (I actually like not having to worry if my neighbors can hear my podcast; the few times they're too loud isn't too often to really make it annoying). That is the only part I *really * can't stand is when they fly into me. It's is so super-annoying to me I just wish they were gone. I haven't noticed any smell about them, but then I don't have a good sense of smell.

It's a slightly rainy day and I didn't notice any when I was outside that I could get a picture of, so I'll probably have to wait on that (was hoping I could post of picture of the ones that are around here; they're more of a red color as opposed to the green one that elnina posted).

Old 06-13-2021, 12:45 PM

3,059 posts, read 3,328,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
does anyone know - are there a difference between cicadas? meaning does the ones in northeast have different features than those in the southwest or southeast? the cicasdas here in the southwest appear july/aug during monsoon season & the news doesn't go nutso when they make their appearance. we don't have any issues with them splatting on your windshield or trying to drink your beer. they exist in the trees, keep you awake at night, then disappear when their season is done.
Look up your states bug doctor. Turns out there are 2 races of cicadas.

One race is the 13 year variety with 3 different broods. Nashville may get one of the 3 about 3 years.

The second race is the 17 year variety with 12 different broods. Each of the broods may be specific to different parts of the state. Over time some broods may migrate over to the next county. Some of the broods may not make it. With so much development over 17 years maybe the cicadas wake up to find a parking lot in the way or a big old tree cut down.

When the cicadas emerge they are looking to mate & lay eggs in a week or so. Then back in the ground for another 13-17 years. Not sure if they need certain types of trees with deep roots.

Old 06-13-2021, 01:32 PM

61,803 posts, read 87,269,132 times
For those who don't live in "invaded" states, here is the Brood X:

(Credit: Gerry Bishop/Shutterstock)
The adults do not really feed on aboveground plants, so there is not concern for vegetables, flowers or herbs that people typically grow in their yards or gardens.

(Photo courtesy to Virginia Tech Cooperative Extension)
The red eyes make it easy to distinguish them from the annual species of cicadas. The most common species of annual cicadas are green and black.
The only thing to worry about is small trees and shrubs, which can be damaged from female cicadas making their egg nests.
Landscapers recommend choosing not to plant new young trees and shrubs this spring until after the cicadas have completed their life cycles. If you have small trees that are a concern, you can purchase netting to drape over those plants to keep the females off of them. Larger trees are resilient and will survive just fine.
Almost any animal that CAN eat cicadas WILL eat them: many different species of birds, rats, mice, raccoons, opossums, squirrels, foxes, chipmunks and even fish. Also, dogs and cats will eat them readily, and if they eat too many, it can cause digestive problems. So, watch your pets.
Other than cleaning up the exoskeletons and cicada carcasses, you need not worry about the cicadas' presence. They are not pests.
If you have a pool, take care to keep the carcasses from clogging the filter. Brood X emergence should be thought of as an extra cool natural phenomenon. Enjoy the show.
More here:
https://www.hgtv.com/outdoors/garden...-about-cicadas

Old 06-13-2021, 02:04 PM

11,083 posts, read 6,661,885 times
I was wondering if cicadas were the same or related to these we saw covering the highway in Utah one year. Crunching along under our tires until we finally pulled over to see what it was.

Armies of Mormon crickets. They look different and are actually "katydids", fwiw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYsvtetbSEw

Old 06-13-2021, 06:44 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,931,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
For those who don't live in "invaded" states, here is the Brood X:

(Credit: Gerry Bishop/Shutterstock)
The adults do not really feed on aboveground plants, so there is not concern for vegetables, flowers or herbs that people typically grow in their yards or gardens.
Awww, thanks elnina! Those are the ones around where I live (there was one out when I was watering my plants--not enough rain today--but I didn't have my phone with me out there like I usually do). Yeah, it has a more orange color in it's wings, and yes the red eyes--I think that's where I got the red.

Old 06-13-2021, 07:03 PM

61,803 posts, read 87,269,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I was wondering if cicadas were the same or related to these we saw covering the highway in Utah one year. Crunching along under our tires until we finally pulled over to see what it was.

Armies of Mormon crickets. They look different and are actually "katydids", fwiw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYsvtetbSEw

Geez... Their lifespan is 5-20 (!!) years!!!

Old 06-13-2021, 07:20 PM

2,851 posts, read 4,529,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
They emerge in Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York (not yet extinct), Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and Washington D.C

There are over 190 varieties (including species & subspecies) of cicadas in North America, and over 3,390 varieties of cicadas around the world.
https://www.cicadamania.com/

Everything else you might want to know:
https://northernvirginiamag.com/cult...-need-to-know/

Woah - 3400 varieties world wide?!? Daaaang. That will take a while to wander thru. Thankfully only a small portion of that is here in the states.

Basiliximab - Pahrump is good. I've been here since 2005 & I keep a thread about what life is like here. You should check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events