Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2022, 10:16 AM

50,860 posts, read 36,563,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
It's not your business.
It's relevant as you seem to be judging people who can't just quit a vice right away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2022, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
The prices at the grocery stores should help fight the obesity epidemic. No device needed.
It's actually the opposite as bad for you food tends to be cheap food. You can still get Ramen noodles for 36 cents at Walmart but you also get half a days worth of sodium and 12 grams of fat (6 of it saturated fat).

When prices go up, people with limited means often skip fresh veggies and salads and move toward canned goods and other cheap items.

Old 08-27-2022, 06:54 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,604,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It's actually the opposite as bad for you food tends to be cheap food. You can still get Ramen noodles for 36 cents at Walmart but you also get half a days worth of sodium and 12 grams of fat (6 of it saturated fat).

When prices go up, people with limited means often skip fresh veggies and salads and move toward canned goods and other cheap items.

I am struggling to afford my usual fresh non-GMO Project Verified foods. It would be way more affordable, not to mention easier, for me to buy and fill up on crap instead. But then I'd be sick and exhausted all the time, unable to move much, let alone hike and exercise to keep myself fit enough to climb the occasional mountain.

As for obesity. I still maintain that most people are simply made the way they are made. Some people are fat, some aren't, and everything in between. Some people are driven to keep every ounce of fat off themselves, but not everyone has that kind of extreme drive.

Health plays a factor as well. When I have a lot of fibromyalgia flare ups, for instance, I can't move. I cannot move. But it doesn't affect my appetite. In fact when I am in that much pain and exhaustion, I crave sugar and carbs. My body seems to think that will make me feel better. it doesn't it makes things worse, but it's a vicious cycle. So I'll lay immobile for days, or, even if I am going to work, I can't do anything else but get through the work day then collapse at night...too tired to even eat right. And then I gain weight.

When I injure my bad foot, the one with the Freiberg's, I can't walk for months at a time. This too will cause weight gain, because I rely on walking every day to keep me at a level of fitness I am comfortable with (able to climb a mountain now and then)

These are just my issues. Other people have other tings they deal with. Fortunately I am not obese, but my weight does fluctuate by as much as 20 pounds in a cycle that runs about 3 or 4 years. I love the skinny phases. The fat phases are not fun.

Old 08-27-2022, 12:42 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,657,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Sugar is not the problem, carbs are not the problem. Both provide energy. It's the overconsumption that is the problem. Rice, which are carbs, is a stable in Asian cuisine but East Asian countries don't have an obesity problem.

So all those farmers are foolish feeding all that grain to their cattle and hogs to fatten them up for market. LOL, pull the other one. I grew up on traditional farm, its just the way its done. And like it or not, humans are animals too. Corporations are fattening you up for profit.

See what you are missing is that carbs dont trigger the "hey stupid, you are full, stop eating!" message in your brain. So much easier to overeat on a high carb diet. Sure peasants have eaten high carb diet for millennia, thing being the economics prevented them from buying excess carbs. Cant buy excess carbs, cant eat them. People really havent had the money to buy excess food until after WWII. Food got cheaper and jobs created that paid more.

And you are thinking of those 1950s documentaries of people in Asia living on bowl of rice a day and building dams with hand tools. Its called POVERTY and periods of starvation. I have news, lot of urbanization, lot wealthier fat Chinese anymore. Matter of fact T2 diabetes is WORLDWIDE epidemic. Guess what, so is urbanization and automation. People tend to be able to at least afford bit more luxury, meaning more high carb foods.

I was 265 pound when I was diagnosed with T2. My ONLY concern was getting my blood sugar stabilized and completely off insulin and other drugs. I was totally uninterested in losing weight. I did it with a LOW CARB diet. Interesting side benefit, I lost lot weight. Without counting calories or trying to lose weight. LOW CARB means I felt full sooner and ate less. No hunger pangs though I obviously missed the grains/breads/etc that I had been eating. But I WAS NOT HUNGRY. I am around 140 pound now. Actually thinner than I would like, but its the weight I was in college. Though I sure dont have the muscle tone I had back then. Little old man.

And you and most people are ignoring that modern food is ENGINEERED for maximum profit. Around something they call the BLISS POINT. Just right amount added sugar to maximize consumption and thus purchase of the product. Telling people just to eat less isnt going to counter that calculated marketing/engineering. It just isnt. I stuck to low carb cause I had that sword of diabetes hanging over my head and I wanted off the insulin, etc. You get used to low carb, its not that hard and I am talking about 100 to 150 grams carb per day, not some unrealistic 20grams or whatever. And actually for non-diabetic sure the government recommendation of 275gram per day for 2000 calorie diet is fine. More than that and you will likely get fat.

Want a test. Two shot glasses, one with soda pop, one with olive oil. Drink the soda pop, want another? Now fill the other with olive oil. Toss er back. Want another? Thats the difference.

Old 08-27-2022, 03:17 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,623,521 times
I think mouth-closure for weight-loss has been used before.

Probably works OK as long as you have the contraption in place.............what then???

Old 08-27-2022, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post

I am struggling to afford my usual fresh non-GMO Project Verified foods. It would be way more affordable, not to mention easier, for me to buy and fill up on crap instead. But then I'd be sick and exhausted all the time, unable to move much, let alone hike and exercise to keep myself fit enough to climb the occasional mountain.

As for obesity. I still maintain that most people are simply made the way they are made. Some people are fat, some aren't, and everything in between. Some people are driven to keep every ounce of fat off themselves, but not everyone has that kind of extreme drive.

Health plays a factor as well. When I have a lot of fibromyalgia flare ups, for instance, I can't move. I cannot move. But it doesn't affect my appetite. In fact when I am in that much pain and exhaustion, I crave sugar and carbs. My body seems to think that will make me feel better. it doesn't it makes things worse, but it's a vicious cycle. So I'll lay immobile for days, or, even if I am going to work, I can't do anything else but get through the work day then collapse at night...too tired to even eat right. And then I gain weight.

When I injure my bad foot, the one with the Freiberg's, I can't walk for months at a time. This too will cause weight gain, because I rely on walking every day to keep me at a level of fitness I am comfortable with (able to climb a mountain now and then)

These are just my issues. Other people have other tings they deal with. Fortunately I am not obese, but my weight does fluctuate by as much as 20 pounds in a cycle that runs about 3 or 4 years. I love the skinny phases. The fat phases are not fun.
I agree that different bodies have different “set points” they want to maintain. I remember reading Kirstie Allen talking about that. Being thin while on TV required Herculean effort, she basically starved herself and exercised like a maniac for years trying to fight her natural “set point” and her body’s makeup. Which is why she gained so much after Cheers was over and she wasn’t on tv anymore.

I just started a new medication for anxiety that apparently can cause pretty significant weight gain (it’s used off-label as an appetite stimulant) which I am pretty concerned about. Even the people who gave it five stars on Drugs.com said they gained weight. I’m hoping I can control it somewhat and imploring my honey to stop having junk food in the house, but some of the weight gain apparently happens even if you don’t eat much more due to the way it acts on your metabolism and the way your body stores fat. If it’s too bad in that regard I don’t know what I’ll do even if it helps with my anxiety. I’ll just be trading anxiety for depression if I gain too much.

Old 08-27-2022, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I think mouth-closure for weight-loss has been used before.

Probably works OK as long as you have the contraption in place.............what then???
It’s like Chantix for quitting cigarettes. It takes away the craving for nicotine like magic, but once you stop it even months later the cravings come back.

Old 08-27-2022, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
So all those farmers are foolish feeding all that grain to their cattle and hogs to fatten them up for market. LOL, pull the other one. I grew up on traditional farm, its just the way its done. And like it or not, humans are animals too. Corporations are fattening you up for profit.

See what you are missing is that carbs dont trigger the "hey stupid, you are full, stop eating!" message in your brain. So much easier to overeat on a high carb diet. Sure peasants have eaten high carb diet for millennia, thing being the economics prevented them from buying excess carbs. Cant buy excess carbs, cant eat them. People really havent had the money to buy excess food until after WWII. Food got cheaper and jobs created that paid more.

And you are thinking of those 1950s documentaries of people in Asia living on bowl of rice a day and building dams with hand tools. Its called POVERTY and periods of starvation. I have news, lot of urbanization, lot wealthier fat Chinese anymore. Matter of fact T2 diabetes is WORLDWIDE epidemic. Guess what, so is urbanization and automation. People tend to be able to at least afford bit more luxury, meaning more high carb foods.

I was 265 pound when I was diagnosed with T2. My ONLY concern was getting my blood sugar stabilized and completely off insulin and other drugs. I was totally uninterested in losing weight. I did it with a LOW CARB diet. Interesting side benefit, I lost lot weight. Without counting calories or trying to lose weight. LOW CARB means I felt full sooner and ate less. No hunger pangs though I obviously missed the grains/breads/etc that I had been eating. But I WAS NOT HUNGRY. I am around 140 pound now. Actually thinner than I would like, but its the weight I was in college. Though I sure dont have the muscle tone I had back then. Little old man.

And you and most people are ignoring that modern food is ENGINEERED for maximum profit. Around something they call the BLISS POINT. Just right amount added sugar to maximize consumption and thus purchase of the product. Telling people just to eat less isnt going to counter that calculated marketing/engineering. It just isnt. I stuck to low carb cause I had that sword of diabetes hanging over my head and I wanted off the insulin, etc. You get used to low carb, its not that hard and I am talking about 100 to 150 grams carb per day, not some unrealistic 20grams or whatever. And actually for non-diabetic sure the government recommendation of 275gram per day for 2000 calorie diet is fine. More than that and you will likely get fat.

Want a test. Two shot glasses, one with soda pop, one with olive oil. Drink the soda pop, want another? Now fill the other with olive oil. Toss er back. Want another? Thats the difference.
Yes, my doctor has a poster in his office that says “Fat doesn’t make you fat, carbs do”.

Old 08-27-2022, 06:07 PM

21,901 posts, read 12,998,839 times
Quote:
Yes, my doctor has a poster in his office that says “Fat doesn’t make you fat, carbs do”.
Ultimately, hormones do.

Old 08-28-2022, 06:58 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,604,188 times
Quote:
<snip>

I just started a new medication for anxiety that apparently can cause pretty significant weight gain (it’s used off-label as an appetite stimulant) which I am pretty concerned about. Even the people who gave it five stars on Drugs.com said they gained weight. I’m hoping I can control it somewhat and imploring my honey to stop having junk food in the house, but some of the weight gain apparently happens even if you don’t eat much more due to the way it acts on your metabolism and the way your body stores fat. If it’s too bad in that regard I don’t know what I’ll do even if it helps with my anxiety. I’ll just be trading anxiety for depression if I gain too much.

Oh yes, I've been there. In my 30s I took Effexor for 5 years and gained 50 pounds. It was terrible. The medication helped me tremendously but in the end, I just couldn't bear the weight gain so I finally went off it. (and oh boy wasn't that fun. Not.) I never did get back down to my pre-med weight though I managed to lose about 40 of it permanently (aside from the aforementioned fluctuation)

I hope the med helps you, and you can avoid the gain. But "weight gain" side effect is a real thing. I'm glad you posted because it is just one more reason to add for people to have a little less judgment and more compassion when one sees someone morbidly obese, instead of labeling them fat or lazy or hogs or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events