Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2021, 04:41 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,239,628 times

Advertisements

What a tragedy. The son in the hospital might wind up disabled?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2021, 04:36 AM

23,869 posts, read 33,581,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulfulSnake View Post
Interesting - why were they allowed on the ride to begin with?

Also the fact that a 15-year old and a 14- year old weighed 290 and 240 lbs respectively is pretty concerning in itself.

They were allowed on because the ride operator can't ask their weight, it's discrimination.

IMO, it's the families fault for even going on the ride when the signs specifically listed weight restrictions. Businesses will have to have a scale to weigh everyone. That's what will be coming and I wouldn't blame park owners for doing it to keep everyone safe.

According to that article, there was another ride injury a few days before for the same reason, people going on rides they're too heavy to go on.

Old 07-11-2021, 09:48 AM

50,820 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
They were allowed on because the ride operator can't ask their weight, it's discrimination.

IMO, it's the families fault for even going on the ride when the signs specifically listed weight restrictions. Businesses will have to have a scale to weigh everyone. That's what will be coming and I wouldn't blame park owners for doing it to keep everyone safe.

According to that article, there was another ride injury a few days before for the same reason, people going on rides they're too heavy to go on.
I just want to clarify because it's going to get confusing for people, it's not the topic family this discussion is about. It's a different accident from 2008.

Old 07-11-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
What a tragedy. The son in the hospital might wind up disabled?
He is most likely brain damaged from lack of oxygen when he was underwater. I don't know the extent of his condition, he might be able to lead a fairly normal life, or he might be completely non-responsive and live in a vegetative state, it depends how long he was without oxygen.

Old 07-11-2021, 10:30 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,029,826 times
Quote:
Have a link for that?

Theme parks are allowed to ask that information, or just go off of visual size to determine weight. I don't see why water parks wouldn't be able to do the same. I would think it's more important at water parks as a severely overweight person could easily pop an inflatable on a water ride causing injury.

The weight restrictions are posted at each water ride, so I don't see how it would be discrimination for staff to follow the park's posted safety requirements.

Old 07-11-2021, 10:38 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,318,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Have a link for that?

Theme parks are allowed to ask that information, or just go off of visual size to determine weight. I don't see why water parks wouldn't be able to do the same. I would think it's more important at water parks as a severely overweight person could easily pop an inflatable on a water ride causing injury.

The weight restrictions are posted at each water ride, so I don't see how it would be discrimination for staff to follow the park's posted safety requirements.

I am unaware of any state or federal law that prohibits discrimination based on weight. I guess one argue that being overweight is some kind of "disability", but the courts wouldn't accept being obese as a disability without it being the result of some kind of physical disease.

https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtoo...20of%20Appeals.

What is inescapable here is that these rafts were capable of turning over. If weight was an issue in this situation than it was up to amusement park to identify people who might exceed that limitation and take some further action. That action might include banning them from the ride or reseating them. The people who design, maintain, and operate that ride are the experts. Not the patrons who may be riding on it for the very first time. I don't think it takes a PhD in rocket science to understand that if someone is belted into this ride and it turns over that drowning is a serious risk. This park is going to end up paying out a large settlement in this case.

Old 07-11-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Have a link for that?

I agree. Just like they can make your kid stand and be measured for height. At least I couldn’t find anything saying they can’t ask.

Old 07-11-2021, 10:26 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,026,528 times
Quote:
Federal law prohibits discrimination on the bases of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or age.

You'll notice that "weight" is not a category.

Old 07-12-2021, 04:10 AM

23,869 posts, read 33,581,353 times
Quote:
Have a link for that?

I thought it would be discrimination if they asked weight or weighed someone but see that's not so. A quick google said it's even legal for a company to fire someone based on their weight.

Old 07-12-2021, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I thought it would be discrimination if they asked weight or weighed someone but see that's not so. A quick google said it's even legal for a company to fire someone based on their weight.
Yes, some cocktail waitresses at the Borgata tried unsuccessfully to sue when they lost their long-held jobs after Borgata decided to change it's image and went with "Borgata Babes" and only wanted Hooters-type cocktail waitresses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events