Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 03:16 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,398,477 times

Advertisements

Rivers ANYWHERE are hazardous, and all that summer slime on the boulders and bad footings is a real surprise. I wear divers' booties when I'm fishing the Capilano in BC on the fish runs, and we lose a few people ever year in this high tourist area falling,.slipping, or jumping into what looks like a welcome water. No need to postulate at this time. Alone? A happy dog that's bred for water? Of course, he's going to...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2021, 07:10 PM
KCZ

4,696 posts, read 3,724,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
What a 'Karen' thing to say. Real nice. I'm pretty sure the person you responded to didn't mean it the way you assumed they did. Wouldn't it be better and kinder to give someone the benefit of the doubt? Food for thought, 'Karen'. What happened to the woman was sad regardless of how beautiful one perceived her to be. Obviously.

My closest friend's name is Karen, and she's a really nice person who's thinking about changing her name because of comments like yours. Wouldn't it be better and kinder to choose your own words more carefully? Food for thought.

Old 09-01-2021, 07:21 PM

3,057 posts, read 2,948,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
My closest friend's name is Karen, and she's a really nice person who's thinking about changing her name because of comments like yours. Wouldn't it be better and kinder to choose your own words more carefully? Food for thought.
I think the whole Karen thing is so childish. If my name becomes a trend and a bunch of people ruin it, I'd be quite annoyed. It's just sad the masses don't consider the ramifications of their actions, apparently just how cute or snarky or whatever it is that made the whole Karen thing so wide-spread. It's just an insult to the Karens out there who have good characters. It's too bad your friend wants to change her name because of that though; I can understand, but think I still would not, even if something like that should happen with my name.

Old 09-01-2021, 07:37 PM

2,166 posts, read 1,171,645 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
I think the whole Karen thing is so childish. If my name becomes a trend and a bunch of people ruin it, I'd be quite annoyed. It's just sad the masses don't consider the ramifications of their actions, apparently just how cute or snarky or whatever it is that made the whole Karen thing so wide-spread. It's just an insult to the Karens out there who have good characters. It's too bad your friend wants to change her name because of that though; I can understand, but think I still would not, even if something like that should happen with my name.

I agree. Just like calling someone a Darren or Felicia.

Old 09-01-2021, 07:50 PM
KCZ

4,696 posts, read 3,724,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post

My friend is in her 50's and is a lot more upset about this than she'd ever confide, but think how hard this whole nasty fad must be for children named Karen, or Becky. So-called adults using code words for b***h or s**t.

Last edited by KCZ; 09-01-2021 at 08:02 PM..

Old 09-01-2021, 08:02 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,245,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
We are given very sparse details of the events of the day I think that it's prudent to not start speculating about the hubby and foul play as his wife lays in the funeral home.
You are right.
We are here just thinking that the husband is not browsing the internet to read the strangers’ comments.
Your point is taken.

Old 09-02-2021, 04:14 AM

3,057 posts, read 2,948,382 times
Quote:
My friend is in her 50's and is a lot more upset about this than she'd ever confide, but think how hard this whole nasty fad must be for children named Karen, or Becky. So-called adults using code words for b***h or s**t.
Oh geez, I hadn't even known about the Becky yet; it must not have trickled down this way. There was an excellent co-worker of mine who moved recently named Becky. Nicest person, very good and hard worker. Nothing bad could be said about her, we were all sad to see her leave. People out there act like they're in grade school/high school still; it's so pathetic.

Old 09-02-2021, 06:06 AM

572 posts, read 684,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Very weird and sad, she was pretty.

Sounds odd but until we get more info, looks accidental.

As mentioned above possibly dog went into river, she chases after it and gets sucked in. That river I read is known for its rough waters.

Wonder where the hubby was all this time.

She was last seen at 11am and he did not report her missing until 8pm, with the dog also missing and the car still there. This no phoning anyone worried, until later, is soo common when someone murders their spouse. Also, the owner should have on site security for a property that large and cameras installed at common areas frequently used like the river path, which may be dangerous. I would never vacation at a large, isolated, privately owned property, that doesn't have security detail. Even much smaller B&B's have had someone near their property to call, cameras, and security detail. Seems like the perfect crime set-up, if there wasn't an accident and/or lapse of judgement.

Last edited by glenninindy; 09-02-2021 at 07:09 AM..

Old 09-02-2021, 07:04 AM

9,572 posts, read 5,364,684 times
Quote:
Wow. The Karen thing has thrown this discussion off the rails.
And just one person's perspective.....I don't think of using the perjorative Karen as code word for the B or S word you reference. I think of it as meaning a busy body or someone who gets in people's faces about social issues, etc. Or even like the woman who came up to the window of my car, while I was in line for the carwash, and said to me "you know, you can pull up further." There was someone in front of me! At first I thought she was just nuts.....and then I asked her if she was the carwash police. LOL. what is wrong with people? hahahah

but this is still a very sad story...and yes....a few people die in VT each year, either falling into the water, or drowing in some of the 'bowls' where the water is like suction. ugh. People, please be careful!!! even young, strong, experienced swimmers have perished.

Old 09-02-2021, 07:37 AM

2,939 posts, read 2,007,889 times
Quote:
Oh, quit being a snowflake. Obviously, I was poking fun at someone who's user name was Karen due to how rude they were to someone else. Duh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events