Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2021, 03:53 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by penlady61 View Post
wow really that is how you think of shirley booth ? she was a fine actress and she did not do just hazel . do you always talk about people in those terms ? you know loud ? fat ? obnoxious ? . Goodness I truly hope not .
No, that is how I think of the character Hazel. Not Shirley Booth. Not anyone else.

You make a couple of wild leaps there, lol. GOODNESS, I hope you don't always do THAT whenever someone says something. You might leap a little too high and hit your head!

Old 09-04-2021, 03:55 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
Even the police stressed that the saving-the-puppy theory was "just a guess," but with the ME ruling it an accidental death, that will probably be the end of any investigation... Authorities seem to grab any feasible scenario they can and close the case; I'm not sure how murders ever make it to true crime drama status!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2021, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Per Wikipedia...
Karen entered the English language from Danish, where it has been a short form of "Katherine" since medieval times.[1] It became popular in the English-speaking world in the 1940s. The name Karen was one of the top 10 names for girls born in the United States during the 1950s and 1960s, peaking as the third most popular girl's name in 1965.
Sounds about right. I was born in 1958 and had three or four Karens in my class, and I have a cousin Karen born in 1966. She became a Grandma yesterday, as a matter of fact!

Old 09-04-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
The ME's ruling that this was an accidental death, along with circumstances that support that, is the information that changes everything. Why is anyone still trying to make the husband into a murderer?
Because we all love our true crime shows and podcasts!

Seriously, it does sound like a tragic accident.

Old 09-04-2021, 04:46 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Really? Because she was pretty? What an idiotic comment.

(Sorry, but those comments are so annoying ... "Oh, she was beautiful, what a tragedy that she died!" As if it would be less of a tragedy to her loved ones if she were NOT "beautiful"?! And you NEVER see such stupid comments about men's deaths ... "Oh, he was so handsome, what a tragedy that he died!")

=====

Anyway ... this case doesn't sound nefarious to me -- sounds like just a bad accident. I can absolutely see someone chasing after their puppy and drowning themselves. Very very sad, but again, not nefarious.
Haha, we get those comments every time from the same people. Really weird. If a plane looking, middle-aged woman bit the dust no big deal. But because it was a younger hottie there's more salacious value to it.

Old 09-04-2021, 05:49 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Because we all love our true crime shows and podcasts!

Seriously, it does sound like a tragic accident.
Yeah, and when you listen to enough true crime podcasts (which I have been hooked on since the pandemic started), you never believe any death is just an accident lol

Old 09-05-2021, 09:41 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I haven't seen the story, but since I'm interested in 'detective stuff,' did they happen to indicate why there was such a gap in the time the husband reported? did they go their separate ways for the day .... with plans to meet up later?
They don't know what time the husband actually called first. 8pm was the time the report was filed, but it doesn't mean he didn't call 3 hours before that and they told him it wasn't enough time to file a missing person's report. They won't take a report for an adult unless a significant amount of time goes by.

If he drowned her, what would he gain by waiting hours to file a missing person's report??

I don't see any reason to suspect foul play, and neither do the police.

Old 09-05-2021, 09:46 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
You're assuming the husband WOULD have called "on-site on-call security" if that had been available. I haven't read anything to indicate that the husband was alarmed or even aware of her absence until he reported it at 8:00 p.m. Hiring someone to patrol potentially "dangerous water" at an AirBnB doesn't seem necessary, desirable, or feasible to me...
We do not have any idea if 8pm is when he first reported it. It is simply the time the report was filed. He might have spent hours looking for her, too.

Old 09-05-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
If he drowned her, what would he gain by waiting hours to file a missing person's report??
If (theoretically) he's lying about drowning her, his statement as to when (if ever) she took the dog on a walk also wouldn't be too reliable.

Again, it would be nice if journalists once again learned to report "who, what, when, where, and why."

Old 09-05-2021, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Yeah, and when you listen to enough true crime podcasts (which I have been hooked on since the pandemic started), you never believe any death is just an accident lol
I personally believe every case should be critically examined before being dismissed as "just" an accident or especially a suicide (these can be faked, as anyone who follows true crime knows), but police are often overworked and eager to close cases with the the first plausible explanation rather than get at the actual truth -- which MAY be that it was "just" an accident or suicide, but also may not be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events