Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 05:49 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Isnt this why they ask for credit card information BEFORE renting? (if the customer fails to return the rented vehicle, they charge the credit card for the full price of the vehicle)...

Where are you getting your information?

As I stated in a previous posting, I have a close contact that has years in at a major car rental company other than Hertz.

All of the major auto rental agencies have relaxed their standards for renting in recent years, most now accept debit cards (with some restrictions), and many of the "renters" barely have jobs, let alone credit cards with limits high enough to pay off a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2021, 07:03 AM

78,333 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Seems like Hertz has had lot more of these incidents then others.
I'm a data and facts guy so I'm going to go with "I have no idea if they have more". *shrug*

The article I linked shows a mixed bag of people keeping the car past turn in, Hertz screwing up and renting a car reported stolen and law enforcement screwing up not removing the stolen car from the list.

I'm happy to let the court system sort all that out.

Again, 10million rentals a year over how many years? There are going to be errors made in any process not that it means that those harmed by such errors shouldn't be compensated.

Whatever you choose is of course your business, I just know this is a PR article by the plantiffs attorney to put public pressure on Hertz. It's what my lawyer buddy does...and would do in this very case. It's what good lawyers do.

Old 11-11-2021, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Where are you getting your information?

As I stated in a previous posting, I have a close contact that has years in at a major car rental company other than Hertz.

All of the major auto rental agencies have relaxed their standards for renting in recent years, most now accept debit cards (with some restrictions), and many of the "renters" barely have jobs, let alone credit cards with limits high enough to pay off a car.
I believe that the credit card is held for a few reasons.

1) pay for damages (fender bender, ripped seat etc.)
2) pay for incidentals like the person brought it back with an empty tank and was supposed to fill it or dropped it off a day late etc.
3) further secure the identity the renter as their ID could be fake.

People intent on stealing a rental car won't be stopped by any of that and I believe long ago that was a problem with people just popping over the border to mexico and *poof*.

Old 11-11-2021, 07:23 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
My son's girlfriend is part of a class action suit against Hertz for claiming she did not return the vehicle even though she did.

Old 11-11-2021, 08:52 AM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm a data and facts guy so I'm going to go with "I have no idea if they have more". *shrug*

The article I linked shows a mixed bag of people keeping the car past turn in, Hertz screwing up and renting a car reported stolen and law enforcement screwing up not removing the stolen car from the list.

I'm happy to let the court system sort all that out.

Again, 10million rentals a year over how many years? There are going to be errors made in any process not that it means that those harmed by such errors shouldn't be compensated.

Whatever you choose is of course your business, I just know this is a PR article by the plantiffs attorney to put public pressure on Hertz. It's what my lawyer buddy does...and would do in this very case. It's what good lawyers do.
I hope it works.

Old 11-11-2021, 03:54 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My son's girlfriend is part of a class action suit against Hertz for claiming she did not return the vehicle even though she did.
We always take pictures of the car returned to the lot at the end, both because of that and to show the condition of the vehicle

Old 11-11-2021, 07:57 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
The receipt that they give you at the end will show where and when the car was returned. I would think that merely showing the receipt would shut up any claims that the car was not returned.

Old 11-11-2021, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
The receipt that they give you at the end will show where and when the car was returned. I would think that merely showing the receipt would shut up any claims that the car was not returned.
That's assuming you got a printed receipt at the end. Earlier this year in Phoenix, they were so understaffed they were telling people to just drop the car in the parking ramp and they'd e-mail you a receipt in a day or two.

Old 11-12-2021, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
That's assuming you got a printed receipt at the end. Earlier this year in Phoenix, they were so understaffed they were telling people to just drop the car in the parking ramp and they'd e-mail you a receipt in a day or two.
Snap a cell phone pic which with most will also location and date stamp the photo.

Old 11-12-2021, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Snap a cell phone pic which with most will also location and date stamp the photo.
Already do- see above post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events