Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 02:55 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,236,413 times

Advertisements

There are times I get tunnel-vision in regards to the progress I "think" we're making, only to come to the abrupt realization that perhaps we are backsliding as a society. I'm putzing around my coastal town in our recently purchased used Tesla having fueled it from our 4.8kW rooftop solar array, smiling about how this car has everything I want and nothing extra that I don't, thinking about the future in a positive way, and then I see a homeless person pushing a shopping cart full of stuff through the intersection. I then reflect that clearly we are moving in two different directions and that policies can have rather myopic goals while completely neglecting other problems and unintended consequences. It totally made me reflect on the 1993 Stallone/Snipes/Bullock movie "Demolition Man," (loosely themed from Huxley's A Brave New World) in where the future society is clean, sanitized, and ruled by what seems to be a benevolent authoritarian while a forgotten population is living beneath the sewers and fighting for their survival and freedom. This current event of thieves targeting the rails and ports is analogous to Dennis Leary's character (Edgar Friendly) robbing the Taco Bell truck in the movie.

Anyways, I think it's important for a society to move together and not leave too many behind. I think about the struggles of homelessness and wonder how much of impact would the following make:

1) Make more affordable housing and allow the housing market to naturally deflate. Lessen Fed bond buying that has propped up mortgage backed securities and low cost to borrow. Have a progressive real estate tax that steps up the taxes for multi-property landlords who increase rents/leases. Give small tax-breaks to first time homebuyers on their 1st and 2nd purchases. Increase cost of ownership for non-citizens and foreign buyers.

2) Greater regulation of legal opioids and promotion of less addictive drugs. Remember when Vicodin was the big concern? Enhance addiction treatment programs.

3) Give the best and brightest non-violent incarcerated an education and trade skill with an apprenticeship when they're released. There's so much need in forestry service, firefighting, FEMA, and disaster relief. Give people a purpose and pathway to make a good living.

4) Enhance mental health services and subsidize it to the point of affordability for each individual. So many people are suffering from depression, broken relationships, abuse, and broken dreams that might not be fixable but definitely can be ameliorated.

5) Combat inflation to stop the tide of poverty from sweeping in the next group of folks from their foundations.

So there's my big five: affordable housing, drug abuse, give people a pathway and purpose, mental health, and focus on the financials. I know it's more complex than that but let's face it, rising home prices, rising drug abuse, neglecting mental health, and rising inflation is hurting a whole lot more people than it is helping...it's not too far of a leap to say that the aforementioned might actually be bad for society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2022, 03:20 PM

8,044 posts, read 10,638,176 times
Great Post Kwong7.

I have, for a long time now, felt like while we may be moving forward in some ways technologically (in the United States though in some ways we are falling behind other countries, light rail being one example), we are definitely regressing socially.

Go to YouTube and look at street scenes of people walking in the cities from the late 1900's, 1920's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, even the '80's.

Something has happened. And it's not "progress".

Old 01-18-2022, 07:50 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
They are released after booking and out to do it again! LA (and CA) politicians suck
Gascon for criminals....

Garcetti, too.

Old 01-18-2022, 08:31 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Great Post Kwong7.

I have, for a long time now, felt like while we may be moving forward in some ways technologically (in the United States though in some ways we are falling behind other countries, light rail being one example), we are definitely regressing socially.

Go to YouTube and look at street scenes of people walking in the cities from the late 1900's, 1920's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, even the '80's.

Something has happened. And it's not "progress".
I think you're right. If you go the UK there are cameras everywhere, and my guess is that their presence deters a lot of crime.

Old 01-18-2022, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
There are times I get tunnel-vision in regards to the progress I "think" we're making, only to come to the abrupt realization that perhaps we are backsliding as a society. I'm putzing around my coastal town in our recently purchased used Tesla having fueled it from our 4.8kW rooftop solar array, smiling about how this car has everything I want and nothing extra that I don't, thinking about the future in a positive way, and then I see a homeless person pushing a shopping cart full of stuff through the intersection. I then reflect that clearly we are moving in two different directions and that policies can have rather myopic goals while completely neglecting other problems and unintended consequences. It totally made me reflect on the 1993 Stallone/Snipes/Bullock movie "Demolition Man," (loosely themed from Huxley's A Brave New World) in where the future society is clean, sanitized, and ruled by what seems to be a benevolent authoritarian while a forgotten population is living beneath the sewers and fighting for their survival and freedom. This current event of thieves targeting the rails and ports is analogous to Dennis Leary's character (Edgar Friendly) robbing the Taco Bell truck in the movie.

Anyways, I think it's important for a society to move together and not leave too many behind. I think about the struggles of homelessness and wonder how much of impact would the following make:

1) Make more affordable housing and allow the housing market to naturally deflate. Lessen Fed bond buying that has propped up mortgage backed securities and low cost to borrow. Have a progressive real estate tax that steps up the taxes for multi-property landlords who increase rents/leases. Give small tax-breaks to first time homebuyers on their 1st and 2nd purchases. Increase cost of ownership for non-citizens and foreign buyers.

2) Greater regulation of legal opioids and promotion of less addictive drugs. Remember when Vicodin was the big concern? Enhance addiction treatment programs.

3) Give the best and brightest non-violent incarcerated an education and trade skill with an apprenticeship when they're released. There's so much need in forestry service, firefighting, FEMA, and disaster relief. Give people a purpose and pathway to make a good living.

4) Enhance mental health services and subsidize it to the point of affordability for each individual. So many people are suffering from depression, broken relationships, abuse, and broken dreams that might not be fixable but definitely can be ameliorated.

5) Combat inflation to stop the tide of poverty from sweeping in the next group of folks from their foundations.

So there's my big five: affordable housing, drug abuse, give people a pathway and purpose, mental health, and focus on the financials. I know it's more complex than that but let's face it, rising home prices, rising drug abuse, neglecting mental health, and rising inflation is hurting a whole lot more people than it is helping...it's not too far of a leap to say that the aforementioned might actually be bad for society.
Excellent post

Old 01-19-2022, 04:35 AM

8,044 posts, read 10,638,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I think you're right. If you go the UK there are cameras everywhere, and my guess is that their presence deters a lot of crime.
Maybe I'm missing something here? Sarcasm?

Old 01-19-2022, 11:21 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
I know train robberies are nothing new but for those thugs in Los Angeles it probably is a newer or different criminal trend they are following. Just like many of them followed the smash and grab trend. And after these lose their luster they expand into something else. Wether it's a fashion or criminal trend they seem to have plenty of followers in California.
It isn't a "new trend." It's just a new opportunity. 17 cars derailed. It isn't about luster, its a crime of opportunity.

Quote:
This is just from watching British TV, but property crime (theft) seems to be way more common in the UK. I could be wrong but there seems to be a lot of humor/jokes/etc made about it that while funny, wouldn't seem to ring as true in the US, based on my experience.

Old 01-19-2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
It isn't a "new trend." It's just a new opportunity. 17 cars derailed. It isn't about luster, its a crime of opportunity.

This is just from watching British TV, but property crime (theft) seems to be way more common in the UK. I could be wrong but there seems to be a lot of humor/jokes/etc made about it that while funny, wouldn't seem to ring as true in the US, based on my experience.
No, it's not from watching British TV, it's from talking to and visiting friends in the UK. I don't think it has any impact on violent crime but for theft, particularly vehicle related crimes, and it appears to be not only a deterrent but can lead to the identification and arrest of perpetrators. https://www.google.com/search?q=surv...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Old 01-19-2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Railroads own more land then any other industry, how could they actually police it? They’d have the largest police force in the world (they probably do now) This direct gigantic cost would be passed onto you and I with outrageous shipping costs.

I follow many of the rail riding YouTubers, I’ve always wanted to ride the rails at some point. VR has tons train cams all over country and one in Canada. Brave Dave came from England and rode from Toronto to Vancouver. Canada took notice and knew he was coming back for another trip, he was denied entrance to country at airport and forced to leave. Now guys are going to Mexico to film as train companies don’t care at all when hordes of people ride in plain sight on trains.

I grew up liking/going and finding trains and always wanted to drive one/work for them. My color blindness with certain colors shot this down, plus how boring it actually is running only certain routes. The pay/benefits/pension ($7k pension per month) is hard to beat.
How would actually they police it? It's not all that expensive to deploy drones and have a standing police force that could respond to incidents, or do you like the idea of Cities and Counties providing free police services to a private for profit company?

Old 01-19-2022, 02:18 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Railroads own more land then any other industry, how could they actually police it? They’d have the largest police force in the world (they probably do now) This direct gigantic cost would be passed onto you and I with outrageous shipping costs.
Quote:
How would actually they police it? It's not all that expensive to deploy drones and have a standing police force that could respond to incidents, or do you like the idea of Cities and Counties providing free police services to a private for profit company?
They have a standing police force. Their job is mostly to secure the big yards, which they do to the best of their ability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events