Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 11:49 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Agree, I can't believe he did not have a will.
Mr. Roger Nelson, and the loonies and teenyboppers who bought into his schtick, were short-sight, "trendiness", and stupidity personified.

The schlockmeisters created the idiocy; now some of them are getting rich cleaning up after it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2022, 12:35 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Prince was a Jehovah's Witness. I remember reading that when he went door to door, people would occasional say, "Hey, you look like Prince", and he would just say, "I get that a lot".

Surprised that they did not lobby for a chunk of his estate.
would that be a reason not to have a will?

Old 01-16-2022, 12:36 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
well I googled and it said that they are encouraged to have a will and to leave a portion to the church.

Old 01-16-2022, 02:06 PM

4,855 posts, read 2,670,979 times
I thought he had a crack head sister with her hand out..

Old 01-16-2022, 02:30 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaea View Post
Prince must have been a very lonely man. I can't imagine not having a will with this kind of wealth on hand. Only a person who feels hopeless and abandoned would not take care to ensure the future of his financial legacy.
I have an aunt (who interestingly has worked for an attorney for nearly 50 years) who has never drawn up a will. She apparently doesn't like to entertain thoughts of her own death. She doesn't have children to take care of, but she has expressed to a couple of my cousins who are closest to her how she would like her estate divided up. Not sure how that's different from putting it on paper, but there's no reasoning with her.

Old 01-16-2022, 03:40 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,032,631 times
He wasn't that old so understandable about lack of will when he had no children.
Things happen.
He was a great artist with great pain that he needed to treat and unfortunately led to his death.

I know a lawyer who doesn't think wills are important and he owns multi-millions in real estate and cash.
He thinks the state he's in will distribute it fairly, there's a formula based on relationship to decedent.
Probably right.

Old 01-16-2022, 03:59 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,183,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
She doesn't have children to take care of, but she has expressed to a couple of my cousins who are closest to her how she would like her estate divided up. Not sure how that's different from putting it on paper, but there's no reasoning with her.
Tragically, what she wanted won't really matter -- Her closest relatives will get her stuff. That's why we have wills; to make sure we know a person's wishes and that they are carried out. Otherwise, state law rules.

I have seen many of these situations.

By the way, lawyers can help a person easily avoid estate taxes with a well-drawn will. Plus, it does not cost that much to have a will drawn, at all!

Old 01-16-2022, 07:09 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
He wasn't that old so understandable about lack of will when he had no children.
Things happen.
He was a great artist with great pain that he needed to treat and unfortunately led to his death.

I know a lawyer who doesn't think wills are important and he owns multi-millions in real estate and cash.
He thinks the state he's in will distribute it fairly, there's a formula based on relationship to decedent.
Probably right
In most states, if you do not have a will, your estate will pass to your spouse if you have one. If there is no spouse it will pass to your children in equal shares. The reason that is the default is it is because that is what most people would want. There are other reasons to write a will though. You may want control over whom is appointed executor. If you do not appoint one, the court will do so. You may not like the choice. Inheritance tax is not a factor unless you are super wealthy. However, for someone like Prince it was a factor. The right combination of a will and perhaps a trust agreement can save a whole lot of taxes.

Old 01-16-2022, 10:21 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
would that be a reason not to have a will?
Not for any reason I know of.

Old 01-16-2022, 10:24 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
In most states, if you do not have a will, your estate will pass to your spouse if you have one. If there is no spouse it will pass to your children in equal shares. The reason that is the default is it is because that is what most people would want. There are other reasons to write a will though. You may want control over whom is appointed executor. If you do not appoint one, the court will do so. You may not like the choice. Inheritance tax is not a factor unless you are super wealthy. However, for someone like Prince it was a factor. The right combination of a will and perhaps a trust agreement can save a whole lot of taxes.
I don't have a will. I have one child who will get whatever I have, which isn't much beyond a small condo. There's life insurance, but that doesn't require a will.

However, someone told me it will be easier on her if I do have one, so I figured I'd have one drawn up.

We just sold my mother's house and settled her estate a few months ago, so I asked the estate lawyer about wills. He said he'd send me a basic form to get started, but he never did. Have to follow up on that. Or just use Legal Zoom.

If I croak before that, my lack of a will won't make the news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events