Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 06:54 AM

23,901 posts, read 33,675,718 times

Advertisements

After six very long years, Prince's estate finally has a value. Prince, did not have a will which has eaten up tens of millions of dollars to administrate his estate to just come up with a plan to distribute it.

Two of his heir siblings, Alfred Jackson and John R. Nelson died during it and two are in their 80's. Hopefully they will live long enough to actually see some of the money.

The article said that his estate will "almost" be divided evenly between the three oldest heir siblings of his or their families and Primary Wave, a NY music company what they're calling "well funded".

The IRS and Comerica, which google says is a financial services company headquartered in Dallas, Texas were arguing over his estate, the article says that they reached an agreement on Prince's real estate portion of his estate last spring but the hardest to do was assets such as rights to his music which wasn't completed until October. I looked for an article to see the history over their lawsuit but am not finding one.

The IRS dropped a $6.4 million “accuracy-related penalty” that they put on his estate. Apparently the Minnesota Department of Revenue had to get their hands on some too, also dropped their “accuracy-related penalty.”

The taxes alone on Princes estate will be in the tens of millions of dollars!

Under the inheritance laws, $5 million is exempt from taxes, federal taxes on the rest will be 40%! Ouch! Also according to the article, the first $3 million is exempt from taxes, but after that, it says much of his estate will be taxed at 16%

I hope that people who have sizable estates see this and smarten up to make sure they have a darned good will so that their money will not be eaten up trying to value it and find heirs. Ridiculous! All of that money wasted.

Final valuation of Prince's estate pegged at $156.4 million

The six-year legal battle over Prince’s estate has ended - January 15, 2022, 5:15 PM

Quote:
The six-year legal battle over pop superstar Prince’s estate has ended, meaning the process of distributing the artist's wealth could begin next month.

The Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that the Internal Revenue Service and the estate’s administrator, Comerica Bank & Trust, agreed to value Prince's estate $156.4 million, a figure that the artist's heirs have also accepted.

The valuation dwarfs Comerica's earlier $82.3 million appraisal. The Internal Revenue Service in 2020 had valued the estate at $163.2 million.

Prince, who died of a fentanyl overdose in 2016, did not leave a will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2022, 08:36 AM

631 posts, read 292,142 times
Prince must have been a very lonely man. I can't imagine not having a will with this kind of wealth on hand. Only a person who feels hopeless and abandoned would not take care to ensure the future of his financial legacy.

Old 01-16-2022, 09:47 AM

23,901 posts, read 33,675,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaea View Post
Prince must have been a very lonely man. I can't imagine not having a will with this kind of wealth on hand. Only a person who feels hopeless and abandoned would not take care to ensure the future of his financial legacy.

Agree, I can't believe he did not have a will.

Old 01-16-2022, 10:32 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,622,574 times
There is a son, Amiir. Why are the brothers mentioned but not the son? I would think he would get it all, apparently I'm very wrong on that.

Old 01-16-2022, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
There is a son, Amiir. Why are the brothers mentioned but not the son? I would think he would get it all, apparently I'm very wrong on that.
Amir died as an infant, within a week of his birth, due to a rare genetic disorder. Very tragic.

Old 01-16-2022, 10:59 AM

14,436 posts, read 14,374,163 times
My feeling about is that no one really should have had an expectation of inheriting the money. Its just good luck if they do get it. Prince could have avoided this mess by writing a Will and appointing an executor as some have already pointed out. He didn't do that. Because of the utter mess this estate was in, it took the services of many accountants and lawyers to figure out. Apparently, because of the size of the estate it was subject to a substantial inheritance tax. This made accurately valuing the estate critical. There were also tax penalties that were at issue. Plus, someone had to be paid to administer the state and its properties while the matter was being probated. I cannot say what happened really bothers me.

Old 01-16-2022, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
My feeling about is that no one really should have had an expectation of inheriting the money. Its just good luck if they do get it. Prince could have avoided this mess by writing a Will and appointing an executor as some have already pointed out. He didn't do that. Because of the utter mess this estate was in, it took the services of many accountants and lawyers to figure out. Apparently, because of the size of the estate it was subject to a substantial inheritance tax. This made accurately valuing the estate critical. There were also tax penalties that were at issue. Plus, someone had to be paid to administer the state and its properties while the matter was being probated. I cannot say what happened really bothers me.
All true, but you must admit that it resulted in a lot of wasted resources. If Prince didn't care for his potential heirs (perhaps his remaining family are horrible people) he could have willed the estate to charitable causes. Any number of foundations and organizations researching genetic disorders, such as his son died from, or supporting people with such disorders, would have been appropriate and a good use of funds.

Old 01-16-2022, 11:32 AM

14,436 posts, read 14,374,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaea View Post
All true, but you must admit that it resulted in a lot of wasted resources. If Prince didn't care for his potential heirs (perhaps his remaining family are horrible people) he could have willed the estate to charitable causes. Any number of foundations and organizations researching genetic disorders, such as his son died from, or supporting people with such disorders, would have been appropriate and a good use of funds.
Yes, but ultimately it was his decision to make to will the estate to either his family or a charitable cause. He did neither and the law steps in when you don't do that and distributes the estate according to the probate law of the jurisdiction.

Old 01-16-2022, 11:37 AM

88,749 posts, read 85,121,709 times
Prince was a Jehovah's Witness. I remember reading that when he went door to door, people would occasional say, "Hey, you look like Prince", and he would just say, "I get that a lot".

Surprised that they did not lobby for a chunk of his estate.

Old 01-16-2022, 11:39 AM

9,209 posts, read 6,286,971 times
Artistes don't concern themselves with the mundane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events