Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 11:54 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Why doesn't ebay ban this?.
Why should Ebay ban it? It's the free market at work. Nobody is forcing anyone to spend $100 on anything. If they want the product, someone will provide them with it. The buyer doesn't have to buy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 12:18 PM

416 posts, read 247,420 times
Today's the 19th

Who knows how much these at-home test will be worth when they get delivered and floods the market; along with UK(major country) stopping covid protocols. Maybe covid is over and that is why they are handing out all these stockpiles? a day early

Old 01-19-2022, 12:23 PM

2,612 posts, read 927,568 times
I wonder what the federal government is paying USPS to ship these. Could be a sneaky USPS bailout happening.

Old 01-19-2022, 12:54 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Email address will let them notify you when they are shipped.

How long til we hear the program discriminates against the poor, who typically have more people living in one address?
Well, my granddaughter lives with me and she can't order them because this address shows as already being on the list (I signed up today).

So whether it's one person, or two, or six, or whoever, every address gets four tests. Period.

Old 01-19-2022, 12:58 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, my granddaughter lives with me and she can't order them because this address shows as already being on the list (I signed up today).

So whether it's one person, or two, or six, or whoever, every address gets four tests. Period.

USPS has great records on addresses. Not so much for the people living at them. The only alternative would be to base it on something individual, like a SS#. But many would complain about privacy and many otrhers would complain it is not fair to illegals.

Old 01-19-2022, 01:03 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Ok, I signed up. But I want to point out some things:

1) I just got back from Germany earlier this month. In Germany, tests aren't in short supply and are everywhere, and are CHEAP.

2) When I flew, there and back, I had to provide a certificate from a testing facility - they weren't taking home test results.

3) When I got off the plane in the US earlier this month, we were greeted by a person literally surrounded by mounds of tests - and they were giving them to anyone who would take one.

Old 01-20-2022, 01:31 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
For all of you saying that employers won't accept the results, quite frankly you don't know what you're talking about.
My employer will accept the results, and people I've talked to buying at-home test kits to are also using them to go back to work. So I guess the real answer is it depends on your employer.

Old 01-20-2022, 03:25 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
Free? Nobody is paying for them?
Nothing is free. If you pay taxes you are paying for them.

Old 01-20-2022, 03:52 AM

445 posts, read 281,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
These tests are likely to increase the spread of covid. If you suspect you might have covid but haven't gotten tested yet, you are likely to quarantine and not go to social events. But these tests are giving lots of false negatives, especially with omicron and early testing, which could result in infected people thinking they are good to go mingle with crowds and friends and family.
Similar to the vaccine. "I'm vaccinated so I'm safe." ...and off to the bar, large gathering, etc

Old 01-20-2022, 06:05 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
For all of you saying that employers won't accept the results, quite frankly you don't know what you're talking about.
My employer will accept the results, and people I've talked to buying at-home test kits to are also using them to go back to work. So I guess the real answer is it depends on your employer.
Exactly. A lot of employers are even providing the at-home tests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events