Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 01:44 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,978,128 times

Advertisements

To think I would need to play Devil's Advocate on such an incident.....but the self righteousness is too good to pass up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
.........Manslaughter is too lite for this selfish pos. May she rot and be used as another example of why not to drink/drug & drive.
Well, remember what is at stake here, what the prosecutor can prove with how the law is written. One may wish to try her for capital murder but can they prove that?

What can you prove, what are you willing to risk in case you lose?
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
These days almost everyone either has a designated driver or takes Lyft/Uber........
Getting into a car driven by a stranger is bad enough, considering how some of us were raised. Getting into one drunk is even worse. What would "we" say if she got assaulted in an Uber after drinking? "Well, she should have known better!"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2022, 01:47 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,308,612 times
Makes me curious about the UK incident of the US woman. There was just too much was kept secret. Interestingly I never heard anyone tested the motorcycle rider for alcohol or drugs and or whether he was pressured or dared to race or ride at dangerous speeds down that roadway, nor speed of impact. in fact there wasn't much if any info about the motorcycle rider at all nor the circumstances leading up to the crash for both parties. I also think one or both parties might had accidentaly left their headlights off if it happened at nighttime. Its very easy these days to overlook due to constant brightly lit instrumental panels and street lights. There was just too much one sided reporting on that incident. Not that I condone the US helping the woman escape before the investigation was done.

I am beginning to think if drunks are less likely severely injuried in crashes that would have otherwise killed a sober person would fully self driving cars be the safest ways they can get around in the future. Or that it is the safest riding as a drunk passenger.

Old 01-21-2022, 02:38 PM

17,366 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
To think I would need to play Devil's Advocate on such an incident.....but the self righteousness is too good to pass up!

Well, remember what is at stake here, what the prosecutor can prove with how the law is written. One may wish to try her for capital murder but can they prove that?

What can you prove, what are you willing to risk in case you lose?

Getting into a car driven by a stranger is bad enough, considering how some of us were raised. Getting into one drunk is even worse. What would "we" say if she got assaulted in an Uber after drinking? "Well, she should have known better!"?
Well, it's a risk you need to be willing to take if you go drinking at a bar, isn't it?

If you are so worried about getting assaulted by a Lyft driver than buy yourself a jug of alcohol and stay home and drink.

Old 01-21-2022, 02:44 PM

9,861 posts, read 4,634,723 times
Quote:
These days almost everyone either has a designated driver or takes Lyft/Uber. There is absolutely no excuse for driving drunk. None. Zero.

There is nothing wrong with going downtown and doing some barhopping. If you're old enough to drink then you are old enough to plan for how you are going to get back home safely.
Exactly. They can think about what bar they want to go to they can think about getting there and back.

I used to feel extorted by drunks constantly wanting rides and even had one say 'F it I'll drive myself then' which is a backdoor admission they are a drunk and will drive drunk to get their fix. I never offer up a ride I make/wait for drunks to ask me. Most, especially family know my attitude toward drunks/drunk drivers and don't ask me anymore although they've asked people living 20 miles away for a ride so their buddies 4 miles away dont find out they are a drunk. Even those people got tired of answering the call.

Drinking at bars is optional recreational activity. It's not a trip to the doctor or something. Although many drunks rationalize drink as self medicating.

Old 01-21-2022, 02:45 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,189,162 times
Time to install breathalyzers/drugs analyzers in cars, so they won’t start and call you Uber instead?

More valuable for everyone’s safety than an entertainment systems

Feel so bad for an innocent life lost and her suffering family.

Hope they are able to sue the bar and the murderess out of everything…

Old 01-21-2022, 02:47 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,243,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Time to install breathalyzers/drugs analyzers in cars, so they won’t start and call you Uber instead?

More valuable for everyone’s safety than an entertainment systems

Add another $1k to the cost of every new vehicle?

What happens when it breaks and leaves you stranded?

Let's screw over 99.9% of people to protect them from the .1%

Old 01-21-2022, 02:54 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,471,073 times
Quote:
Well, it's a risk you need to be willing to take if you go drinking at a bar, isn't it?

If you are so worried about getting assaulted by a Lyft driver than buy yourself a jug of alcohol and stay home and drink.
Agreed.

Also, I don't believe, as someone suggested, that most people use a designated driver, Uber or a taxi when they go out drinking.

They should stay home and drink as much as they want.

Old 01-21-2022, 02:56 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,978,128 times
Quote:

By risk, I meant the prosecutor in court. Remember, if they are found not guilty, THAT'S IT! You can't try them again.

As far as the Lyft driver, well, that's the point. Don't say that they can get a ride with the Lyft driver but then condemn them for being worried about who might be driving.

Given how our modern world has gotten rid of the taxi service in a lot of places, maybe the government ought to step in and provide those rides.

Old 01-21-2022, 02:58 PM

10,452 posts, read 4,035,751 times
Quote:
These days almost everyone either has a designated driver or takes Lyft/Uber. There is absolutely no excuse for driving drunk. None. Zero.

There is nothing wrong with going downtown and doing some barhopping. If you're old enough to drink then you are old enough to plan for how you are going to get back home safely.
And in my local area, there are even tow companies that will tow your car and give you a ride home for free.

Old 01-21-2022, 03:00 PM

17,366 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Exactly. They can think about what bar they want to go to they can think about getting there and back.

I used to feel extorted by drunks constantly wanting rides and even had one say 'F it I'll drive myself then' which is a backdoor admission they are a drunk and will drive drunk to get their fix. I never offer up a ride I make/wait for drunks to ask me. Most, especially family know my attitude toward drunks/drunk drivers and don't ask me anymore although they've asked people living 20 miles away for a ride so their buddies 4 miles away dont find out they are a drunk. Even those people got tired of answering the call.

Drinking at bars is optional recreational activity. It's not a trip to the doctor or something. Although many drunks rationalize drink as self medicating.
Most friend groups take turns being the designated driver or they take Uber/Lyft.

And if you can't figure out how to do that - STAY HOME.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events