Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2022, 06:31 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,511,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I agree with that too, prospect. Also, I don't want our government stepping in and making bars (or alcohol) illegal. It's frustrating that so many people abuse the privilege to socialize responsibly in a bar. Doing so shouldn't put other people at risk on the road.

I don't think there is an answer to this other than personal responsibility.

Wasn't there a recent CD thread about devices being put in cars that essentially function as alcohol level tests that would be required to be utilized before the car could be started ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2022, 07:18 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Wasn't there a recent CD thread about devices being put in cars that essentially function as alcohol level tests that would be required to be utilized before the car could be started ?
They've been around for a long time. The problem is that they are usually installed after a person has been charged with drunk driving. It doesn't address drunks who haven't been caught.

And they can continue to lead to tragedy. I remember some years ago, a mother reported that her alkie ex had not brought back their two little girls after picking them up for his weekly visit. He had the breathalyzer device on his car but must have talked one of the girls into blowing ito it for him. Car was found in the water with all three of them dead. Father's BAC was over the limit.

Old 01-22-2022, 08:16 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
It is interesting how bars have regulars that are obviously above the legal limit there every evening of the week, one near my house, rural, nobody is walking or taking an uber. Seems contradictory to our laws that this blind eye is turned everyday. Not much accountability going on here.
I actually feel that way not about bars, but about sporting events. Every football game, every baseball game, every basketball or hockey game, has tens of thousands of people drinking for several hours and then driving home. Really, any cop could just sit outside the stadium parking lot and pull people over and catch people over the limit. But they are not going to do that because that revenue from the beer sales is too big to mess with. And the city of course gets tons of tax revenue from it.

At Phillies games, they used to sell hotdogs and other food in the stands. The guy will just walk up and down the stairs yelling “hotdogs get your hotdog.” Several years ago when our new stadium was built, it changed. Now the only thing they sell in the stands is beer. Everything else you have to get up and go stand in line for. But they will deliver you as many beers as you want without having to move.

Old 01-22-2022, 08:19 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
So then people who want to drive drunk will just buy used cars.

Old 01-22-2022, 08:20 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,151,943 times
Quote:
This is a small rural town and the police station is enough miles away from this bar I don't even know if they police it at all at 2 am. (Since I'm never out and about at that time.) But I doubt it. I think everyone is pretending the issue doesn't exist here.
Before covid watching the oceanfront bars empty out at 2AM was some of the best entertainment here. Tons of police ready and waiting. Sadly some drunks still get away.
My friends, family and I always have a DD or DW even if it's someone we call. I like to have fun but I'm not willing to die or kill someone else. It makes me mad that there are so many selfish people that don't care.

Old 01-22-2022, 08:28 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,611,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrychen View Post
I drove drunk a couple nights a week for 24 years, never had a problem. It's a skill. Most accidents aren't caused by drunk drivers, they're caused by traveling high speed with no skills, texting, impatience and taking unnecessary risks. Most men can drink a six-pack and get home just fine. It all depends on the individual.
Oh wow...I can't believe I'm reading this. Completely disagree. It's not a "skill" to drive drunk, it's stupid.

Old 01-22-2022, 09:16 AM

979 posts, read 417,448 times
Quote:
Oh wow...I can't believe I'm reading this. Completely disagree. It's not a "skill" to drive drunk, it's stupid.
It's a bad choice, but still - some can and some can't. Man must know his limitations.

Old 01-22-2022, 09:58 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
I drove drunk a couple nights a week for 24 years, never had a problem. It's a skill. Most accidents aren't caused by drunk drivers, they're caused by traveling high speed with no skills, texting, impatience and taking unnecessary risks. Most men can drink a six-pack and get home just fine. It all depends on the individual.
I did, too. Not for 24 years, but when I was younger. Amazed that I made it home sometimes. That was before MADD, and if you got pulled over, the cop would just tell you to be careful getting home. Those fines and surcharges implemented in the 80s definitely made me change my mind about taking those chances.

My brother used to say, "It's easy to drive drunk. Just cover one eye, and you're fine."

That was when he was young. He is now in his 50s and doesn't do that anymore, thankfully.

Old 01-22-2022, 12:13 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,138,687 times
Quote:
It's a bad choice, but still - some can and some can't. Man must know his limitations.
Skill...no. Luck...yes.

Old 01-22-2022, 12:45 PM

979 posts, read 417,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Skill...no. Luck...yes.
Yeah, lucky I didn't get pulled over for something unrelated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events