Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 12:48 PM

274 posts, read 237,545 times

Advertisements

I wonder if she was driving her car on the ice in the first place because she thought it would make a good video to post on social media. If so, I doubt she thought her car would go through the ice, but it did add some drama, and would help explain her calm manner as she documented an extremely dangerous situation. But then again, some people these days don't think something has actually happened unless they record it and post it for the public, so who knows.

Wonder what this will do to her car insurance rates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2022, 03:45 PM

947 posts, read 1,401,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelia Shay View Post
I wonder if she was driving her car on the ice in the first place because she thought it would make a good video to post on social media. If so, I doubt she thought her car would go through the ice, but it did add some drama, and would help explain her calm manner as she documented an extremely dangerous situation. But then again, some people these days don't think something has actually happened unless they record it and post it for the public, so who knows.

Wonder what this will do to her car insurance rates?

I'm guessing she didn't have a floater policy for her car, so to speak?

Also wondering if she had one of those "Abolish ICE" bumper stickers on the car.

Old 01-25-2022, 04:15 PM

2,032 posts, read 1,655,886 times
Maybe it is her ex-husband's car and she didn't "accidentally" drive it onto the ice. I can envision the text now, "hey a-----e, say goodby to your stupid car!"

Old 01-25-2022, 04:25 PM

14,944 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't see what the issue is. She had nothing but time waiting for rescuers. She wanted to show her friends the predicament she was in. What do you think she should have done while waiting? What do you think most young people would do in that situation once they called for help? Exactly what she did.
In her shoes I think I'd be too busy panicking to take a selfie.

Old 01-25-2022, 06:55 PM

6,454 posts, read 3,974,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
There is definitely a detachment from the reality there. Most of us wouldn't be so calm in that situation. I have to admire people who are calm in an emergency situation because I sure wouldn't be.
Exactly. I'd rather she be taking selfies than screaming and jumping up and down and flailing around in the water.

Old 01-25-2022, 08:37 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,312,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
"Two things are infinite:

The universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe." _____ Albert Einstein
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Did Einstein really say that?
"90% of Einstein quotes are spurious."
-Abe Lincoln

Old 01-25-2022, 09:06 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Oh — totally “pics or it didn’t happen”.

One of the things with this attitude which is more and more prevalent is the fact that we now have these deep fakes that anything can be faked, so it shouldn’t be this way. But it is. Unless people see it with their own eyes, the person it happened to is lying. My sister, who has dementia, is just like this. She doesn’t believe anything anymore. From anyone. Even me.

So when she starts talking about things that she doesn’t know anything about, I can’t possibly be correct about them no matter my experience or knowledge — because she can’t trust anything I say.

Her dementia is only going to get worse, and I don’t envy her children because this is truly not my circus. All I’m going to do is attempt to be supportive and positive.

But I have the feeling that is not gonna work. I don’t really need a picture of that either.

Old 01-25-2022, 09:09 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
He did! Pretty smart fella that Albert.

He made many interesting comments, just do a search for 'Einstein Quotes' and you'll likely be entertained.
I've read, though, that some of the quotes attributed to Einstein weren't his. That's why I asked. I had a collection of Einstein books at one point. I was interested in his religious (or "spiritual") views. So I could fact-check some of the quote claims. I think there's an online site where you can do that, too.

Old 01-25-2022, 09:34 PM

631 posts, read 288,306 times
I think I've just stumbled on the quintessential image which captures the gist of the folly that is humanity -- as well as our imminent fate in symbolic form, due to said folly. Wish I could send that out in my own private SETI message to the universe.

Old 01-25-2022, 09:37 PM

631 posts, read 288,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've read, though, that some of the quotes attributed to Einstein weren't his. That's why I asked. I had a collection of Einstein books at one point. I was interested in his religious (or "spiritual") views. So I could fact-check some of the quote claims. I think there's an online site where you can do that, too.
Here's something specifically relating to the quote in question: https://skeptics.stackexchange.com/q...-stupidity-and
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events