Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 09:48 PM

631 posts, read 288,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelia Shay View Post
I wonder if she was driving her car on the ice in the first place because she thought it would make a good video to post on social media. If so, I doubt she thought her car would go through the ice, but it did add some drama, and would help explain her calm manner as she documented an extremely dangerous situation. But then again, some people these days don't think something has actually happened unless they record it and post it for the public, so who knows.

Wonder what this will do to her car insurance rates?
According to the news clip, the driver drove the car on the iced-over river intentionally, so there's something to think about for context.

Incidentally, and not that it particularly matters except for the sake of the story's consistency / verifiability, the driver referred to in the clip is male (media in the story did not identify the person by name).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2022, 09:07 AM

78,355 posts, read 60,556,941 times
Sadly there are a lot of incidents related to selfies that have lead to terminal outcomes most seem to involve heights.

Old 01-26-2022, 09:34 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,955,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Sadly there are a lot of incidents related to selfies that have lead to terminal outcomes most seem to involve heights.

You mean terminal velocity?

Old 01-26-2022, 10:15 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,637,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That's true, but this was on a lake? How is that "heights"?

I feel bad for the dangers rescuers have to endure, to extricate these foolish people.

Old 01-26-2022, 10:32 AM

50,730 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
In her shoes I think I'd be too busy panicking to take a selfie.
The car looked stable in the picture, just surrounded by water. Maybe sharing it made her feel better, like she wasn't alone. There wasn't anything she could do, so I don't get the judgement. It's not like she chose to take a selfie rather than save herself. All you can do is call for help, and then wait.

Old 01-26-2022, 01:02 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaea View Post
Here's something specifically relating to the quote in question: https://skeptics.stackexchange.com/q...-stupidity-and

Sounds like a few had the same idea. Wherever the truth may lie, I often come across things that make me believe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events