Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2022, 12:08 PM

8,530 posts, read 6,959,394 times

Advertisements

The most practical way to handle murder cases is life sentences. But it seems that a lot of us are genuinely and morbidly fascinated in an utterly ghoulish way by people hung by their necks or squirming on a table with poison in their veins. It’s all so medieval.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2022, 12:09 PM

5,726 posts, read 3,227,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I guess I'm having a hard time with this. If someone is that developmentally disabled how were they able to get a gun, use it and have a group of friends to celebrate about it with after?

Im guessing this guy came from a background where no one cared what he learned or if he went to school. Where did they even get his IQ score from and why do people always take someone's IQ score so seriously? I mean i would think errors could be made in coming up with someone's IQ score from time to time.

Clearly this guy had it in him to get a gun, shoot someone and kill them and brag about it after. Getting a gun and Killing someone with it takes a certain amount of thought. I'm not saying this guy was smart by any means but he knew what he was doing and should be held accountable.

I say this respectfully...no one is saying he DIDN'T commit this crime, or that he didn't deserve the death penalty. The bone of contention is whether he understood that he had choice in the method of execution.

He and his lawyer say he didn't understand (or even know) that he had a choice in the matter, and if he HAD understood (but he was too dumb) he would've chosen the alternative to lethal injection.

Old 01-31-2022, 12:10 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,065,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
There's a lot of discrimination on citydata, not pointing a finger at you or your post personally. But I do believe we have to take into account poverty and education. Minorities are far behind in these areas, why is it any surprise that they commit more crimes statistically?
Take a look at poor white areas, the number correlate just the same. And whites are known for different types of crimes, embezzelment, tax evasion, "white collar crimes" paper theft.
So I feel it is best we consider all these variables before we condemn people because of the color of their skin, or even point it out, rather I would prefer we look at poverty and education levels and compare THOSE statistics with say, people of more means, who obviously commit many crimes of opportunity but are more stealthy, sneaky, and predatory in a different manner. Doesn't mean that "whites" are "better people" on some level of discrimination.
I hear you. Violent crimes are particularly awful however. You can't bring people back that were killed. You can recover stolen property.

I was only responding to someone's statement and this will be my last post on this matter as I posted numbers.

Old 01-31-2022, 12:35 PM

16,803 posts, read 8,518,636 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I say this respectfully...no one is saying he DIDN'T commit this crime, or that he didn't deserve the death penalty. The bone of contention is whether he understood that he had choice in the method of execution.

He and his lawyer say he didn't understand (or even know) that he had a choice in the matter, and if he HAD understood (but he was too dumb) he would've chosen the alternative to lethal injection.
ok that makes more sense if he and his lawyer are trying to come up a case where they are trying to say he was too dumb to realize what he was doing.

Old 01-31-2022, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Where does one even get an IQ exam these days? Are these still a thing? My kids are 5 and 7 and as far as I know they've never had an IQ test. I'm 43 and i'm not even sure if I've had one.

Seems like intelligence is measured by grades these days.

All that aside it's kind of astonishing to me that someone with a low IQ who is nearly 'mentally retarded' would be able to get a gun, then go party afterwards and brag about it. Most mentally challenged people I've known have been very sweet and kind. Perhaps I've led a sheltered life?

When I hear the word disabled I have to say that I think of someone who is in a wheelchair, blind, deaf or something along those lines. I guess I dont think of a disabled person as being someone who lacked intelligence but was able to acquire a gun, shoot someone and go to parties with friends and brag about it. The guy was dumb, not disabled.

Pyschologists, counselors, therapists...

I've taken 2 or 3 in my life, and my youngest had one done to be considered for the school gifted program.

Old 01-31-2022, 01:58 PM

2,049 posts, read 1,336,026 times
If you put me in a room with a test and told me "If you do well on this test, we're going to kill you", then I'm not going to do well on that test. ... or any test after that one.

Old 01-31-2022, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
If you put me in a room with a test and told me "If you do well on this test, we're going to kill you", then I'm not going to do well on that test. ... or any test after that one.

Fair observation. LOL

My son answered some of the questions on his wrong on purpose. He didn't want to be considered a nerd.

His words.

Old 01-31-2022, 03:19 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,895,008 times
Quote:
All that aside it's kind of astonishing to me that someone with a low IQ who is nearly 'mentally retarded' would be able to get a gun, then go party afterwards and brag about it. Most mentally challenged people I've known have been very sweet and kind. Perhaps I've led a sheltered life?
Mentally retarded people run the gamut of personalities, temperaments and predilections just like any other people.

That said, my understanding is that one of the key objections to sentencing someone with a very low IQ to the death penalty is not that they can't be held accountable for a crime, but that they cannot participate cogently in their defense the way someone of more typical intelligence can. It's easier for them to be stitched up or railroaded, harder for them to choose good counsel, they may not be able to understand their Constitutional rights, etc. So it's harder for them to get a fair trial.

Old 01-31-2022, 05:03 PM

2,049 posts, read 1,336,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Mentally retarded people run the gamut of personalities, temperaments and predilections just like any other people.

That said, my understanding is that one of the key objections to sentencing someone with a very low IQ to the death penalty is not that they can't be held accountable for a crime, but that they cannot participate cogently in their defense the way someone of more typical intelligence can. It's easier for them to be stitched up or railroaded, harder for them to choose good counsel, they may not be able to understand their Constitutional rights, etc. So it's harder for them to get a fair trial.
This is probably the. best analysis of the problem.

Old 01-31-2022, 06:43 PM

73,184 posts, read 62,875,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I am shocked that they executed anyone with that low of a IQ. When I was working 70 was the cutoff to be diagnosed with ID/MR.
I'm not shocked. I actually expect stuff like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events