Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 09:15 AM

631 posts, read 294,739 times

Advertisements

For those who would like to parse out the details, the Bureau of Justice Statiistics compiles crime data. Here's a link to one of their race stat pages. Let us know what you find out.

https://bjs.ojp.gov/library/publicat...enders-2012-15
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2022, 09:48 AM

14,466 posts, read 14,424,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bj538 View Post
Agreed. Also, I believe that the death penalty should be reserved for cases where it is blatantly obvious that the person committed murder such as if there is video footage of the person killing someone. The person should get one appeal and then get the needle within one year of being found guilty. People should not be sentenced to death based on circumstantial evidence.
I guess you haven't been paying much attention to what has happened in this country in the last twenty years. Groups like the Innocence Project have established that at least 18 innocent people have been wrongfully convicted of murder and put on death row. The reality is that the system we have is flawed. There are reasons why innocent people are falsely convicted. They have to do with the poor quality of a defense that someone without money gets, mistaken eyewitness identifications, and the willingness of white juries to put a person of color to death in a situation where evidence is questionable. The point is that it has happened--and continues to happen.

You say we should only put people to death "when it is blatantly obvious". Who though is to decide when it is blatantly obvious? One feature of our system has unfortunately been false confessions. Some people will confess their guilt to a crime they did not commit when subjected to hours of interrogation by the police.

I am not ready yet to say that I oppose the death penalty in all situations. There are some horrible crimes that are committed. I do though support the lengthy appeals process that our system requires before someone can be executed. It is that process that saved the lives of those 18 or so innocent people on death row.

https://innocenceproject.org/the-inn...death-penalty/

Old 01-31-2022, 09:56 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,079,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Overwhelmingly? Proof?
Crime statistics. Have a look at murder.

https://www.ojjdp.gov/ojstatbb/crime/ucr.asp?table_in=2

White murder arrests: 5,070. Black murder arrests: 5,660

US demographics

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...e/US/PST045221

Percentage of black residents in the US: 76% white, 13% black.

Maybe the term "overwhelmingly" isn't a nice word, but I can only report the numbers in front of me. It isn't some personal thing, it is just statistics and I can't create them, they are just there.

Old 01-31-2022, 10:44 AM

5,739 posts, read 3,242,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
It always makes me wonder why people sit so long on death row...26 years? Why bother executing someone for something they did when they were 18? If someone is going to be executed it should happen within a few a years

Also i noticed an article below refers to the man as 'disabled'. I don't work with disabled people nor am i a mental health professional but regardless of his disability he seems like a bad guy. Perhaps he had a low IQ or learning/mental issues that should have been addressed but plenty of people with those issues dont shoot people and then go to a party to brag about it. If anything people that DO have those issues wouldnt be capable of getting a gun, having friends to go to parties with or even have the mental capacity to think of killing someone. I feel like calling him 'disabled' was perhaps the wrong word to use.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/4558125...ama-execution/

https://nypost.com/2022/01/27/alabam...-court-ruling/

The defense said that he had the reading capacity of a 1st grader, and the language skills of a 4 yr old. Now...that's what the defense expert said...and the state disagreed with that assessment. (Shrugging shoulders.)

Keep in mind...this wasn't about being executed or not...it was about the method of execution, and whether he understood his choices of execution.

Old 01-31-2022, 11:06 AM

16,907 posts, read 8,579,415 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
The defense said that he had the reading capacity of a 1st grader, and the language skills of a 4 yr old. Now...that's what the defense expert said...and the state disagreed with that assessment. (Shrugging shoulders.)

Keep in mind...this wasn't about being executed or not...it was about the method of execution, and whether he understood his choices of execution.
You dont have to know how to read in order to commit a murder. I'm sure there are plenty of people in the world, even in this country who go through life without knowing how to read.

Language skills of a 4 year old? Again, not needed in order to kill.

I just dont think bad language skills and not knowing how to read should qualify someone as 'disabled'.

Old 01-31-2022, 11:12 AM

51,233 posts, read 36,904,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
You dont have to know how to read in order to commit a murder. I'm sure there are plenty of people in the world, even in this country who go through life without knowing how to read.

Language skills of a 4 year old? Again, not needed in order to kill.

I just dont think bad language skills and not knowing how to read should qualify someone as 'disabled'.
Those levels are reflective of a person who is developmentally disabled, it means his brain works on the same level as a child. An IQ of 60 is pretty significantly developmentally disabled. IQ less than 71 qualifies as DD (or the old term mentally retarded) and 11 points under that is pretty significant.

Old 01-31-2022, 11:13 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,628,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaea View Post
For those who would like to parse out the details, the Bureau of Justice Statiistics compiles crime data. Here's a link to one of their race stat pages. Let us know what you find out.

https://bjs.ojp.gov/library/publicat...enders-2012-15
Interesting what that publication states:
Highlights
During 2012-15, half (51%) of violent victimizations were intraracial, that is both victims and offenders were the same race or both were of Hispanic origin.
In the majority of violent victimizations, white victims' offenders were white (57%) and black victims' offenders were black (63%).
The rates of total violent crime, serious violent crime, and simple assault were higher for intraracial victimizations than for interracial victimizations.
From 1994 to 2015, white-on-white violence (down 79%) and black-on-black violence (down 78%) declined at a similar rate.
During 2012-15, there were no differences among white, black, and Hispanic intraracial victimizations reported to police.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Crime statistics. Have a look at murder.

https://www.ojjdp.gov/ojstatbb/crime/ucr.asp?table_in=2

White murder arrests: 5,070. Black murder arrests: 5,660

US demographics

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...e/US/PST045221

Percentage of black residents in the US: 76% white, 13% black.

Maybe the term "overwhelmingly" isn't a nice word, but I can only report the numbers in front of me. It isn't some personal thing, it is just statistics and I can't create them, they are just there.
There's a lot of discrimination on citydata, not pointing a finger at you or your post personally. But I do believe we have to take into account poverty and education. Minorities are far behind in these areas, why is it any surprise that they commit more crimes statistically?
Take a look at poor white areas, the number correlate just the same. And whites are known for different types of crimes, embezzelment, tax evasion, "white collar crimes" paper theft.
So I feel it is best we consider all these variables before we condemn people because of the color of their skin, or even point it out, rather I would prefer we look at poverty and education levels and compare THOSE statistics with say, people of more means, who obviously commit many crimes of opportunity but are more stealthy, sneaky, and predatory in a different manner. Doesn't mean that "whites" are "better people" on some level of discrimination.

Old 01-31-2022, 11:39 AM

16,907 posts, read 8,579,415 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Those levels are reflective of a person who is developmentally disabled, it means his brain works on the same level as a child. An IQ of 60 is pretty significantly developmentally disabled. IQ less than 71 qualifies as DD (or the old term mentally retarded) and 11 points under that is pretty significant.
I guess I'm having a hard time with this. If someone is that developmentally disabled how were they able to get a gun, use it and have a group of friends to celebrate about it with after?

Im guessing this guy came from a background where no one cared what he learned or if he went to school. Where did they even get his IQ score from and why do people always take someone's IQ score so seriously? I mean i would think errors could be made in coming up with someone's IQ score from time to time.

Clearly this guy had it in him to get a gun, shoot someone and kill them and brag about it after. Getting a gun and Killing someone with it takes a certain amount of thought. I'm not saying this guy was smart by any means but he knew what he was doing and should be held accountable.

Old 01-31-2022, 11:43 AM

1,665 posts, read 985,022 times
Here's a head scratcher.

Back in the early 80s, in a town several miles away from my childhood home, there was a murder.

Michael Owen Perry killed 5 members of his family. He also had a huge infatuation with Olivia Newton John. He fled to Washington DC where he was caught.

He was found guilty and insane, placed on death row. However, he couldn't be executed with insanity. He's STILL on death row.

When I was very young, this happened. What is weird is, I saw him before. He was walking down the road backwards. I remember, because he freaked me out.

Fast forward years later, we were walking in the cemetery in Lake Arthur and came across 3 family members killed on that day.

Not giving too much of his case, if you're interested, I'm posting the link.

https://law.justia.com/cases/louisia...-2d-543-1.html

Old 01-31-2022, 11:54 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,079,173 times
I don't believe in the death penalty. I just don't think people should kill people no matter what. Locked up forever, yes, but not killing. "Thou shall not kill" is a pretty good commandment to live by.

Now the death penalty is in place to scare people. The last person to be put to death in PA was in 1999. He was a serial killer and rapist. There are 110 people in PA on death row. I doubt any will be put to death.

There are states putting people to death however. Texas comes to mind. They are way out in front.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events