Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 08:51 PM

30,735 posts, read 18,402,447 times

Advertisements

One less piece of trash walking the earth. I hope this guy's execution brings some form of closure to the loved ones of his victims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2022, 02:45 AM

1,014 posts, read 484,064 times
America isn't so bad. If a person were in Afghanistan, they'd just shoot the person on the scene and that would be it. Not take him to court and wait 26 years to finally execute the person. I guess they want to give that person a chance in prison to think of what he has done. Give him time to say I'm sorry. To feel bad about what he did. To seek guidance when he gets executed, what will happen then? Will he be in heaven? That sort of things. I guess. Or they just want to torture the guy longer and make him eat **** and pay for it. After all, nobody believes there is a hell or heaven. It ends there. And that's that. End of life.

Old 02-01-2022, 05:58 AM

23,913 posts, read 33,722,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I guess I'm having a hard time with this. If someone is that developmentally disabled how were they able to get a gun, use it and have a group of friends to celebrate about it with after?

Im guessing this guy came from a background where no one cared what he learned or if he went to school. Where did they even get his IQ score from and why do people always take someone's IQ score so seriously? I mean i would think errors could be made in coming up with someone's IQ score from time to time.

Clearly this guy had it in him to get a gun, shoot someone and kill them and brag about it after. Getting a gun and Killing someone with it takes a certain amount of thought. I'm not saying this guy was smart by any means but he knew what he was doing and should be held accountable.

My question is if they even had his school records to look at, not that it matters but anyone can fail a test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I say this respectfully...no one is saying he DIDN'T commit this crime, or that he didn't deserve the death penalty. The bone of contention is whether he understood that he had choice in the method of execution.

He and his lawyer say he didn't understand (or even know) that he had a choice in the matter, and if he HAD understood (but he was too dumb) he would've chosen the alternative to lethal injection.

I guess they wouldn't let him change it at the end or he decided he didn't want to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
One less piece of trash walking the earth. I hope this guy's execution brings some form of closure to the loved ones of his victims.

TRUTH FROM YOU!!! He didn't understand he could be executed one of two ways? Sucks because the person he murdered didn't have that choice either!

Old 02-01-2022, 08:04 AM

5,727 posts, read 3,227,446 times
[quote=Roselvr;62811635]My question is if they even had his school records to look at, not that it matters but anyone can fail a test.

I guess they wouldn't let him change it at the end or he decided he didn't want to?

Apparently, they wouldn't let him. There was a stay of execution until it went to the supreme court, and the supreme court ruled in a 5/4 decision that the state of Alabama was in the right, and the execution was back on.

Old 02-01-2022, 04:39 PM

20,846 posts, read 17,168,038 times
There is no crime as great as the execution by the state of an innocent person.

Old 02-01-2022, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
This! If it was equal across the board, ok, but it's not. Minorities and the poor are sent to the chair far more often.
Minorities (specifically blacks and Latinos) also commit capital crimes far more often than non-minorities. Per FBI/DOJ statistics, as an example, black offenders have been responsible for more than half of all homicides in the US each year for decades now, despite the fact that blacks aren't even 15% of the population.

All of this is to say that things are often more complex than there just being an imbalance or disproportionate outcomes.

Old 02-01-2022, 07:16 PM

15,605 posts, read 7,648,614 times
Quote:
Minorities (specifically blacks and Latinos) also commit capital crimes far more often than non-minorities. Per FBI/DOJ statistics, as an example, black offenders have been responsible for more than half of all homicides in the US each year for decades now, despite the fact that blacks aren't even 15% of the population.

All of this is to say that things are often more complex than there just being an imbalance or disproportionate outcomes.
If you have 10 Blacks and 10 Whites charged with capital crimes, more Blacks will be given the death penalty. It's disproportionate, partially due to systemic racism, and partially due to Whites generally having more money for better lawyers who can get them LWOP instead of a needle.

Old 02-02-2022, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
If you have 10 Blacks and 10 Whites charged with capital crimes, more Blacks will be given the death penalty. It's disproportionate, partially due to systemic racism, and partially due to Whites generally having more money for better lawyers who can get them LWOP instead of a needle.
But that’s a simplistic approach that fails to take into account location, to include the approach of a local prosecutor, some of whom run on being tough on the death penalty and others who don’t. And then you have to think of the population and ideological leanings of potential jurors within a county, some who based on politics may be more willing than others to even recommend the death penalty. All of this is to say that there is a lot of nuance that goes into this debate, but efforts to simply blame the disparity on so-called systemic racism never touch on those and so do society a disservice in terms of getting to the actual truth I argue. Indeed, to my point above, the systemic racism argument treats all whites and all blacks the same in this country no matter where they are, failing to take into account the very real political and ideological differences between communities (some of which I touched on above), which is actually very troubling in itself. I have found that when people try to blame imbalance on racism today, the truth is actually often much more complex and nuanced, and decidedly non racist.

The other problem with the ten whites and ten blacks analogy is that the proportion between the two groups of those committing capital offenses, as mentioned, is nowhere near balanced. In fact, when you actually look at the prevalence of black offenders committing murder vs white offenders committing murder (and as mentioned the numbers are way out of whack), things are not so out of proportion when it comes to who is being sentenced to death. It is a mistake, I argue, to claim systemic racism or anything of the sort, without taking into account these things. In fact, the actual numbers taking into account proportion of capital and other crimes actually committed, disproves much of the so-called systemic racism argument. Again, black offenders commit more than half of all homicides in this country every year despite blacks comprising nowhere close to half of the country’s population. If there is equal application of capital cases, the numbers will necessarily be out of whack as the baseline is out of whack. But that’s not racism. That’s math

As for wealth of people getting caught up in these things, capital cases are expensive. Most people getting caught up for capital cases, whether black or white if wager, are probably being assigned public defenders. Generally we don’t see the wealthier amount society committing these kind of crimes.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 02-02-2022 at 04:14 AM..

Old 02-02-2022, 10:30 AM

51,148 posts, read 36,837,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxrob View Post
I'm nitpicking here a little, but you dont fail IQ tests. IQ tests produce a profile, with a full scale score, and a professional interprets it. One of the first things a professional will do is state whether they think it is a valid score or not, based on a number of factors. While it would be easy to tank an IQ test, it is really hard to do so without getting caught by the examiner suspecting you purposely tanked the IQ test.
They are usually taken when young anyway, I think we did it in early grade of elementary school.

Old 02-02-2022, 10:36 AM

51,148 posts, read 36,837,750 times
Quote:

But if you look at percentages of how many black offenders get the death penalty vs white offenders, that's where the results would show the skewed pattern. You wouldn't go by what percentage of crimes are committed by blacks overall.

The race of the murder victim also makes a difference in many cases. That might make more of a difference than race of defendant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events