Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 09:19 AM

16,496 posts, read 8,281,655 times

Advertisements

It always makes me wonder why people sit so long on death row...26 years? Why bother executing someone for something they did when they were 18? If someone is going to be executed it should happen within a few a years

Also i noticed an article below refers to the man as 'disabled'. I don't work with disabled people nor am i a mental health professional but regardless of his disability he seems like a bad guy. Perhaps he had a low IQ or learning/mental issues that should have been addressed but plenty of people with those issues dont shoot people and then go to a party to brag about it. If anything people that DO have those issues wouldnt be capable of getting a gun, having friends to go to parties with or even have the mental capacity to think of killing someone. I feel like calling him 'disabled' was perhaps the wrong word to use.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/4558125...ama-execution/

https://nypost.com/2022/01/27/alabam...-court-ruling/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2022, 09:29 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,202,570 times
All capital punishment cases are automatically appealed. So a case wends it’s way through the court system. I think it best to have these cases looked at thoroughly before executing. And I also think that years on death row is a terrible part of the punishment.

Old 01-28-2022, 09:33 AM

16,496 posts, read 8,281,655 times
Also I've heard of worse crimes than one man shooting/killing another man where the person simply got life in prison. I'm not saying this crime isn't deplorable...but the death penalty should maybe be reserved for people who have killed multiple people, any sort of violence towards children, torturing then killing people. This man shot and killed a man 26 years ago...awful but it happens everyday!

Old 01-28-2022, 10:07 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,033,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
It always makes me wonder why people sit so long on death row...26 years? Why bother executing someone for something they did when they were 18? If someone is going to be executed it should happen within a few a years

Be careful what you wish for.

There is a line of thought that people on a jury are willing to condemn someone to death because they know there is plenty of time to catch their mistake if such were to happen.

But what might happen if from trial to needle was a quick process? Would the common person on a jury be so willing then to say yes to death?

Old 01-28-2022, 10:25 AM

50,902 posts, read 36,601,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Also I've heard of worse crimes than one man shooting/killing another man where the person simply got life in prison. I'm not saying this crime isn't deplorable...but the death penalty should maybe be reserved for people who have killed multiple people, any sort of violence towards children, torturing then killing people. This man shot and killed a man 26 years ago...awful but it happens everyday!
This is my problem with it. It seems to be applied very randomly, and too often money or standing in society has more to do with who does/doesn't get death penalty than the actual crime.

Old 01-28-2022, 04:05 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,617,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This is my problem with it. It seems to be applied very randomly, and too often money or standing in society has more to do with who does/doesn't get death penalty than the actual crime.
This! If it was equal across the board, ok, but it's not. Minorities and the poor are sent to the chair far more often.

Old 01-29-2022, 11:07 AM

37,485 posts, read 61,466,561 times
It seems to me that we often hear of evidence that is uncovered a decade later that proves the convicted person is innocent.

Consider the Loyd Jowers Trial.

Rev. MLK Jr was shot, immediately the cops caught a guy they said did it. A quick kangaroo trial later and James Earl Ray was convicted. But it took 25 years for the real guilty parties to finally be convicted at trial.

In the mean time ask anyone you know 'Who killed MLK?" They will likely tell you James Earl Ray did it. Even though now we know better.

Old 01-29-2022, 11:58 AM

50,902 posts, read 36,601,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
It seems to me that we often hear of evidence that is uncovered a decade later that proves the convicted person is innocent.

Consider the Loyd Jowers Trial.

Rev. MLK Jr was shot, immediately the cops caught a guy they said did it. A quick kangaroo trial later and James Earl Ray was convicted. But it took 25 years for the real guilty parties to finally be convicted at trial.

In the mean time ask anyone you know 'Who killed MLK?" They will likely tell you James Earl Ray did it. Even though now we know better.
As of February last year, there have been 185 death row inmates exonerated through DNA evidence. God only knows how many innocent people over the years were put to death before DNA analysis was possible.

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/news/dp...n-total-to-185

Old 01-29-2022, 12:13 PM

16,641 posts, read 8,649,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
All capital punishment cases are automatically appealed. So a case wends it’s way through the court system. I think it best to have these cases looked at thoroughly before executing. And I also think that years on death row is a terrible part of the punishment.
How much do you want to bet that most, if not all would prefer that to being executed within a year or so?

I have no issue with thorough examination of death penalty cases to insure as best as possible no innocent person is put to death.
However it didn't take 26 years to figure out his guilt or innocence.

The legal system has been perverted by greedy lawyers who use this among other things to delay justice and make themselves wealthy in the mean time.

Old 01-29-2022, 01:02 PM

37,485 posts, read 61,466,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
... However it didn't take 26 years to figure out his guilt or innocence.
In the case of James Earl Ray, it did.

And because his trial was so public, our entire society is still convinced to this day that he is guilty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events