Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 11:27 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Hmmm, I thought it came from the Pony Express too.

Here's a thought experiment for you-all. We retired to a country with NO mail service and no post office. They seem to get along but I really wonder how. I don't miss all the junk mail.
I'm currently staying in a country located north of the USA and mail service between the two countries is simply horrible. People mailed me Christmas cards in mid-December that arrived in late January. The woman who is taking in my mail sent me my new car registration the day after Christmas. It got here almost four weeks later.

I had to sign and have notarized a document regarding the distribution of my late mother's estate. The documents had to be received from every heir before the distribution could be made. In order not to hold up the works, I paid $42 to ensure that the document would get from Ontario to New Jersey in two days (and it did).

Recently there was the last bit of money, a few hundred bucks, that had to be distributed from the estate. My sister sent it out to most of my sibs from the estate account by check using the Bill Pay feature, but it did not allow checks to be sent to Canada, so she mailed me a paper check. Three weeks. I am only 500 miles away.

I don't know if it's the USPS, Canada Post, or a combination of the two that is a problem.

Old 02-05-2022, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Hmmm, I thought it came from the Pony Express too.

Here's a thought experiment for you-all. We retired to a country with NO mail service and no post office. They seem to get along but I really wonder how. I don't miss all the junk mail.
How do you get other mail? Most things I can live without, and I don't miss the junk mail, either.

I had to find a workaround to deal with the tax documents that are being sent. I get a couple of W2s and a 1099, but they only come in paper. I have asked the woman who takes in my mail to hold them until such time as my daughter can pick them up and open them and scan them to me. (I won't ask the neighbor who takes in the mail to do the scanning--she has a good heart but can't keep anyone's personal business to herself. If she sees my income and such, I might as well ask the local newspaper to publish it.)

I don't trust the mail system to get my docs to me.

Old 02-05-2022, 11:52 AM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Seems that "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds" no longer true

We had ice, sleet, rain and snow (5-6 inches, or more) yesterday. Today all roads in our community are clear.

NO mail

Wassup mailmen?
Mail has been hit or miss around my area for over a year now. Staff shortages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2022, 01:18 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
A) For me I wouldn't expect anyone to drive in snow and Ice. Nothing in the mail today other than medication is that important and as the pharmacist said to a neighbor - if you got your drugs the old fashion way you would have them.

B) Litigation

Old 02-05-2022, 04:04 PM

12,382 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Budget cuts.
What budget cuts? It's been Christmas time tempo of operations since March of 2020, 12 hour days 6 days a week with a quarter of the time under time and a half and double pay overtime. And no staff is coming for the uniform wage that the USPS pays in the lower 48 to maintain that tempo. COVID or a broken leg when a carrier goes down the delivery unit runs out of man hours so many no longer deliver letters 6 days a week even if Congress demands it.

Watch the DC representative Holmes Norton site as she reprints the official explanation from that USPS district manager to her congressional inquiries on service failures

Old 02-05-2022, 04:36 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
I complained about lack of mail on a good day, and tossed them that quote. They said it belonged to the Pony Express so tough luck! It's just gotten worse since.

Old 02-05-2022, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I complained about lack of mail on a good day, and tossed them that quote. They said it belonged to the Pony Express so tough luck! It's just gotten worse since.
It wasn't the Pony Express, but think about that. The Pony Express was only in existence for 18 months. Maybe weather didn't stop them, but lack of money sure did.

This thread is the first time I ever heard of it connected with them. Anyway--

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United..._Service_creed

Old 02-05-2022, 04:54 PM

12,382 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It wasn't the Pony Express, but think about that. The Pony Express was only in existence for 18 months. Maybe weather didn't stop them, but lack of money sure did.

This thread is the first time I ever heard of it connected with them. Anyway--

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United..._Service_creed
The thing is that the Pony Express didn't make last mile delivery and those planes,trains and trucks do their courier duties in all types of conditions where as someone trying to determine which box a piece goes in does need light as the gloom of night makes the job impossible without technology

Old 02-05-2022, 05:19 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
I live in Georgia. We get mail 3-4 days a week, and it has nothing to do with weather. It's the new reality.

Old 02-05-2022, 05:23 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
The mail didn't come the last two days here. But with a foot of snow, I wouldn't expect it to. There's nothing that important being delivered that I feel the postman needs to risk his life. The streets are pretty cleared now, so I'm sure it'll be delivered tomorrow.
Especially true nowadays...not many bills and even less personal mail. Sometimes prescription meds do come by mail but usually those are refilled automatically with a little lead time built in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events