Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2022, 08:28 AM

17,547 posts, read 16,699,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
People will say anything if they believe their correspondence to be private.
I'd like to know how many of the executives were actually involved in conversations like this and how many of them received these emails.

I find it very hard to believe that they were all in on this type of banter - "Dated maternal workforce", "Dinobabies" The emails do not sound like something written by a seasoned professional.

Was this chatter between a handful of executives or between them all as a larger group? I feel like we're missing context here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2022, 09:16 AM

1,710 posts, read 794,841 times
People in their 40s are kind of young to be considered “Dino babies”, they’ve still got at least a decade or more of slaving away for a corporation who couldn’t care less about them.

Old 02-15-2022, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerlingHitchcockJPeele View Post
People in their 40s are kind of young to be considered “Dino babies”, they’ve still got at least a decade or more of slaving away for a corporation who couldn’t care less about them.
I laughed when I read that 40 year olds were considered older and "dated". That's what me wonder who really wrote that nonsense.

It almost sounds like teenagers complaining about how the adults in the room don't want them to have any fun. "They don't understand social"....

Old 02-15-2022, 09:56 AM

10,992 posts, read 20,618,833 times
Back in the day when my employer needed to run a rif I had them parse their plan by age SUB-SET. That prevented executive decisions with age as a factor.

Before I moved to the private sector I worked for DOL. They had responsibility for enforcing the Age Discrimination in Employment Act before it was handed off to EEOC. Much of EEOC's enforcement activity is now handed to states under contract. Multi-state invitations would be difficult. Likely the best opening would be by a former IBM employee in New York State (where IBM is headquartered) alleging a pattern of age discrimination. The law requires notification to the employer and mediation with the complainant. When it comes to pattern and practice investigation data is determinative.

Old 02-15-2022, 10:55 AM
KCZ

4,695 posts, read 3,710,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I'd like to know how many of the executives were actually involved in conversations like this and how many of them received these emails.

I find it very hard to believe that they were all in on this type of banter - "Dated maternal workforce", "Dinobabies" The emails do not sound like something written by a seasoned professional.

Was this chatter between a handful of executives or between them all as a larger group? I feel like we're missing context here.

Two former execs were reportedly involved in the Email exchange and both were fired. Their names and positions were redacted in the lawsuit documents.

Old 02-15-2022, 11:03 AM

19,038 posts, read 14,274,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Is there an english translation for the above nerdspeak available?
What particular part did you need assistance with?

Old 02-15-2022, 11:24 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,191,998 times
"The lawsuit, with its origins in 2018, started after IBM eliminated jobs for more than 20,000 U.S. employees over the age of 40, representing 60% of its total job cuts in the U.S. during those years, according to ProPublica...One email from a former IBM executive, whose name is redacted in the filing, referred to older employees’ perceived lack of understanding of the digital landscape as a danger for the company. “This is what must change,” the email reads, per the filing. “They really don’t understand social or engagement. Not digital natives. A real threat for us.”"

What I find funny is that the company would cut Gen Xers - they certainly understand the "digital landscape."

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ib...it-11644859247

Old 02-15-2022, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
"The lawsuit, with its origins in 2018, started after IBM eliminated jobs for more than 20,000 U.S. employees over the age of 40, representing 60% of its total job cuts in the U.S. during those years, according to ProPublica...One email from a former IBM executive, whose name is redacted in the filing, referred to older employees’ perceived lack of understanding of the digital landscape as a danger for the company. “This is what must change,” the email reads, per the filing. “They really don’t understand social or engagement. Not digital natives. A real threat for us.”"

What I find funny is that the company would cut Gen Xers - they certainly understand the "digital landscape."

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ib...it-11644859247
Exactly. But the same can be said for a lot of the boomers still working.

I just do not see this ageist attitude as being widespread throughout the executives. The fact that the two caught engaging in this ridiculous exchange are now former employees speaks volumes.

Old 02-15-2022, 11:48 AM

631 posts, read 293,836 times
Quote:

I just do not see this ageist attitude as being widespread throughout the executives. The fact that the two caught engaging in this ridiculous exchange are now former employees speaks volumes.
That's because they got caught.

Other executives at other companies are not such digital dinos as to leave a digital footprint, if or when they engage in ageism. The irony of this incident would be hilarious if it didn't involve the massive disruption of people's lives.

Old 02-15-2022, 11:49 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,191,998 times
Quote:

I was even going to mention the boomers, because I'm one and I have one boomer friend who run large video game company, another who has written widely-used C++ and other manuals, etc. I've commented elsewhere about how irritated I get when people assume seniors can't use or understand technology.

Also, the article points out that the execs involved no longer work for the company, so hopefully, the current management isn't so bigoted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events