Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2022, 02:37 PM

10,220 posts, read 1,047,656 times

Advertisements

Other companies are guilty of the same thing - Ageism is alive and well in Corporate America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2022, 07:06 PM

17,562 posts, read 16,714,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I was even going to mention the boomers, because I'm one and I have one boomer friend who run large video game company, another who has written widely-used C++ and other manuals, etc. I've commented elsewhere about how irritated I get when people assume seniors can't use or understand technology.

Also, the article points out that the execs involved no longer work for the company, so hopefully, the current management isn't so bigoted.
It makes you wonder where those two Cornholios went after their stint at IBM.

Old 02-15-2022, 07:12 PM

17,562 posts, read 16,714,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaea View Post
That's because they got caught.

Other executives at other companies are not such digital dinos as to leave a digital footprint, if or when they engage in ageism. The irony of this incident would be hilarious if it didn't involve the massive disruption of people's lives.
I agree that the irony is off the charts on this one. That is for sure.

Old 02-15-2022, 11:36 PM

11,024 posts, read 7,885,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
What particular part did you need assistance with?
The part where anyone thought all the long dated techno-minutiae was pertinent to the topic at hand.

Old 02-16-2022, 09:03 AM

78,791 posts, read 60,996,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandorrei View Post
Other companies are guilty of the same thing - Ageism is alive and well in Corporate America.
It's pretty common.

I have a relative that was high up in HR for a major company, this is widespread and eventually happened to them.

I think that the severance packages are typically done to avoid lawsuits over stuff like this. Last big layoff where I work definitely had a lot of older workers in it but they got nice deals and many just rolled into retirement.

I'll be cool with this if I'm a little older if they want to give me a years pay to help me retire a bit earlier. *shrug*

Old 02-16-2022, 10:50 AM

51,182 posts, read 36,873,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I was even going to mention the boomers, because I'm one and I have one boomer friend who run large video game company, another who has written widely-used C++ and other manuals, etc. I've commented elsewhere about how irritated I get when people assume seniors can't use or understand technology.

Also, the article points out that the execs involved no longer work for the company, so hopefully, the current management isn't so bigoted.
It wasn't those 2 that fired the 20,000 people over 40, that was a company decision.

Old 02-16-2022, 11:02 AM

11,396 posts, read 16,787,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandorrei View Post
That was my fear as I approached 60 years of age when I was working, plus being on the higher side of salary to my peers.

I held my breathe the last 2 years prior to being 65 and knowing that I was going to retire and yes, I was lucky that I was able to get out on my terms.

Unfort, there are those who aren't to lucky.

Old 02-16-2022, 11:58 AM

23,913 posts, read 33,736,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It wasn't those 2 that fired the 20,000 people over 40, that was a company decision.

Right. Totally agree. Those 2 were the fall guys.

This has been happening for at least 20 years, if not more. People commented on the article saying they were let go too at a certain age.

One of my friends has a hub who lost his high paying job in Philly in his 40's. I'm 8 years older than her, she's getting near 50. I'm not sure how much older her hub is than her. This happened about 4 years ago.

She had a great job with Spencers, so he stayed home to do the "Mr. Mom" thing with the kids while she busted her butt. They eventually lost their house when it happened to her 2 years ago. She had stellar reviews at the company, one day they offered her a severance package. So that's 2 people I know let go when they reach mid 40's.

One of their kids had high medical bills. That could have played a part too I guess. They ended up qualifying for NJ family care for the medical.

It's time heads start rolling. At some point, those in charge of letting people go 10 years ago have also lost their jobs, people will start singing hopefully with IBM in the news.

Old 02-16-2022, 12:30 PM

9,267 posts, read 6,423,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
I wonder how he feels about the types of ads he's probably been getting in the mail ?
Hearing aids, AARP magazine subscriptions, ads for cemetery plots. Soon the only image he'll see in the mirror will be that of the grim reaper telling him, " I'm ready when you are."
The grim reaper would never say that. The grim reaper would say "You're coming with me."

Old 02-16-2022, 12:39 PM

102,302 posts, read 108,445,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I'd like to know how many of the executives were actually involved in conversations like this and how many of them received these emails.

I find it very hard to believe that they were all in on this type of banter - "Dated maternal workforce", "Dinobabies" The emails do not sound like something written by a seasoned professional.

Was this chatter between a handful of executives or between them all as a larger group? I feel like we're missing context here.
I agree, more info needed. I'd also like to know how "executives" is defined and by whom. Who is actually being described as authoring that correspondence? Sounds like they must be pretty young "executives". And who are the real execs vs. the Vice President of Supplies Purchasing, and the Deputy Lunchroom Supervisor, and their ilk?

Someone posted a photo of the Board of Directors. I wonder what their opinions are of this. Though I suppose the BOD would have had to approve the firing of most people over 40, roughly 60% of the IBM workforce, as posted earlier? Hard to believe they'd approve that. They probably didn't see these memos, though.

What happened to the days when seniority and experience counted for something? Dead and gone, I guess.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-16-2022 at 12:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events