Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2022, 01:45 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times

Advertisements

IBM is a "dinocompany."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2022, 02:45 AM

23,870 posts, read 33,581,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
If you work in a "right to work State" you can be "laid-off" without cause (I think).
At least it seems that way.
I and 8 other employees were "let go" all in one day...
We figured out that we were all around 62 years old.
The place is low tech manufacturing.

The reason is that they do not have to pay full pension benefits and older workers can be replaced by younger lower-paid workers.

In the end, it is called a "business decision"...

The hardest part is to find another job, because how long would anyone work after 62 years?

That sucks. That's why a LOT of people took social security at age 62, they were forced. My friend lost her job in a classroom, she had just turned 62, will be 65 in August. She was for special ed students. Couldn't find more than part time and is careful not to go over with social security and working. She's had some odd jobs like care giver for an alzheimers patient and driving instructor. She had to stop tattooing which brought in decent money after she injured her back. She can't sit and tattoo any more. She will have to give up her new to her Harley too, she's gotten worst since her fusion like me. I tried to warn her. It gave her almost 2 years but went down hill fast when it failed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Over 40 is OLD?

These days, yes it seems so. As I said, I have a friend and her hub who lost their jobs in their 40's.

Her daughter had high medical bills, I don't know if that played a part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Yeah, kind of surprising isn't it?

I was laid off from the banking industry about 10 years ago, I was completely shocked to learn from recruiters that I was already an "older worker" in my early 40s! Talk about outdated concepts.

The workers are considered "old" in their 40s and 50s, yet are discriminated by corporate management in their 60s and 70s. There is some kind of disconnect from reality here.

Companies have been pruning shop with the older and middle age people lately.

Old 02-18-2022, 05:43 AM

1,406 posts, read 1,180,335 times
Quote:
...The workers are considered "old" in their 40s and 50s, yet are discriminated by corporate management in their 60s and 70s. There is some kind of disconnect from reality here.
No disconnect, just yet more Baby Boomers' "I got mine, FU" attitude being put into practice...

Old 02-18-2022, 06:28 AM

7,610 posts, read 3,265,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
But maternal could be used in this case as a synonym for protective, caring, etc.-not necessarily characteristics possessed only by females.

Whatever.

Old 02-18-2022, 06:30 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,434,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lz_2022 View Post
Yiiiiikes. Well, they haven’t really produced anything for years, so I’m assuming Bezos will come along and snap them up at a discount.
That's not true. They just aren't producing the things you probably associate with the old-school IBM, like actual hardware and machines. Most companies use IBM products.

Kind of like how a lot of people think Amazon is making money selling underwear on the internet. They are, but they make way, way more money with Amazon Web Services (AWS).

https://www.investopedia.com/how-ibm...-money-4798528

Old 02-18-2022, 10:53 AM

50,827 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
My guess is that the executives are Gen X and Boomer men that want to see younger Millenial women in the workplace. Predatory? Probably. Why have grandma in the consultant position when you can get a "hot" and....'perky' 27-year old? I don't envision a bunch of Millenials being high up enough at IBM to make these changes. Ageism and perhaps sexism.
Where did you see that this is women-specific? Were most of the 20,000 over 40’s who were laid off women?

Old 02-18-2022, 10:57 AM

50,827 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
If you work in a "right to work State" you can be "laid-off" without cause (I think).
At least it seems that way.
I and 8 other employees were "let go" all in one day...
We figured out that we were all around 62 years old.
The place is low tech manufacturing.

The reason is that they do not have to pay full pension benefits and older workers can be replaced by younger lower-paid workers.

In the end, it is called a "business decision"...

The hardest part is to find another job, because how long would anyone work after 62 years?
You can be laid off without cause, but if you can show a pattern and show enough proof that the people that were laid off were laid off because they were in a protected class i.e. older workers, you can definitely bring forth a lawsuit. Discriminatory hiring/firing practices are illegal in every state even right to work states. I would think this email is going to be very helpful to those considering it.

Old 02-18-2022, 12:03 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
Quote:
Yeah, kind of surprising isn't it?

I was laid off from the banking industry about 10 years ago, I was completely shocked to learn from recruiters that I was already an "older worker" in my early 40s! Talk about outdated concepts.

The workers are considered "old" in their 40s and 50s, yet are discriminated by corporate management in their 60s and 70s. There is some kind of disconnect from reality here.
They don't see it that way...remember, as long as you know how to manage you can manage ANYONE. And of course managers and execs only get better as they get more experience.

Everyone else just gets older, slower, and dumber. And sure the women aren't as pretty, and it's less fun to be around them so there's that... What's funny is that execs don't even have as much access to "young secretaries" as they used to as there are far fewer executive assistants in those positions and their ages have probably trended upward as well...it's really tough on those old buzzards, dontchaknow?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events