Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 06:33 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,567,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
As noted, the suspension hardly suggests that this is "o.k.".

But beyond that... your post is one of these lamenting that today's society is at some low point as exemplified by this incident.

In 1994, Houston Oiler's defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan punched his team's offensive coordinator during a game.

Ohio State's football coach Woody Hayes punched an opposing player in 1978 during the Gator Bowl.

From the 1950s to the 1980s, MLB player and manger Billy Martin periodically assaulted his own teammates and other people out of baseball (a marshmallow salesman, once).

So this is simply not some sort of 'sign of the times'.
When I started the thread he had not been suspended. I am glad to see he has some sort of punishment however, I think he should have been fired immediately. There is no excuse for a head coach of a college basketball team behaving the way he did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2022, 08:20 PM

10,548 posts, read 7,743,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Very sad to me that it has apparently become o.k. for a coach to act this way in ANY situation. This is reportedly not the first time he has acted out. He is obviously a bully and is out of control.

The head coach should be held to the highest standard. He is supposed to be a role model to these young men.

https://www.si.com/college/2022/02/2...isconsin-coach
Actually it's the opposite. This kind of behavior used to be tolerated much more so in past decades than today. Not that physical abuse has really been common at any time.

Psychological abuse, on the other hand, has indeed been common with basketball coaches, both at the college and High School level. Berating players has been considered acceptable over the years , for some reason, but I'm pleased to notice that this has also diminished significantly over the past couple decades.

Has Bobby Knight been mentioned yet? He's probably the all time worst. https://www.chron.com/sports/college...ht-1849372.php

Old 02-22-2022, 09:42 PM

979 posts, read 417,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Actually it's the opposite. This kind of behavior used to be tolerated much more so in past decades than today. Not that physical abuse has really been common at any time.

Psychological abuse, on the other hand, has indeed been common with basketball coaches, both at the college and High School level. Berating players has been considered acceptable over the years , for some reason, but I'm pleased to notice that this has also diminished significantly over the past couple decades.

Has Bobby Knight been mentioned yet? He's probably the all time worst. https://www.chron.com/sports/college...ht-1849372.php
Bobby Knight was a creep and shouldn't have been allowed to coach as long as he did. Tough guy. He shouldn't even be allowed around humans.

Last edited by henrychen; 02-22-2022 at 09:50 PM..

Old 02-23-2022, 06:19 AM

16,273 posts, read 10,401,684 times
I agree he should have been fired, you just can't have this. But I knew he would not be because he has had success although not so much this year.

Old 02-23-2022, 04:43 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I agree he should have been fired, you just can't have this. But I knew he would not be because he has had success although not so much this year.

He may be fired yet. It's easy to say that he should have been fired right away but the school needs to have their lawyers look over the contracts to make sure they do it the right way.

Old 02-24-2022, 06:24 AM

16,273 posts, read 10,401,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
He may be fired yet. It's easy to say that he should have been fired right away but the school needs to have their lawyers look over the contracts to make sure they do it the right way.

Woody Hayes was fired the next day. It's been nearly a week, I don't see it happening.

Old 02-24-2022, 07:14 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Howard was part of Michigans fab5 recruiting class that turned out to have been mostly (4 of 5?) paid under the table to play there.

Let's not kid ourselves, schools with big time programs are almost all dirty either directly or by turning a blind eye to things.

As such, they don't care about a little pushy-shovey, hiring of hookers, paying off people etc. as long as it doesn't get public. Then they have to show *integrity* and make nice apologies and blah blah blah.

Michigan is struggling this year but won the big ten last year and made the elite 8. THAT is why Howard will probably get to stay.

Old 02-24-2022, 08:44 AM

30,619 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Wow. It looked like he was trying to grab the other guy's face

As much as I condemn the actions by this coach, I think a suspension (and potential fine) is probably where I'd end things. The suspension on its own, as others have mentioned, sends a clear message that such behavior is unacceptable.

Old 02-27-2022, 02:20 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,567,852 times
I watched the Michigan/Illinois game today. The announcers were talking about the Juwan Howard incident and said they thought it would be a good idea to do away with the handshakes after the game. They said it would keep incidents like this from happening.

I guess they think we should teach our kids that good sportsmanship and behaving like a grown up is too hard when you are upset. Boo-hoo.

Old 03-01-2022, 08:21 AM

2,612 posts, read 928,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I watched the Michigan/Illinois game today. The announcers were talking about the Juwan Howard incident and said they thought it would be a good idea to do away with the handshakes after the game. They said it would keep incidents like this from happening.

I guess they think we should teach our kids that good sportsmanship and behaving like a grown up is too hard when you are upset. Boo-hoo.
Is being forced to take 5 seconds to give a phony handshake "good sportsmanship"?

I am not saying they should or shouldnt do it. Its just a bunch of guys throwing around a ball, they can have whatever rules they want as far as I am concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events