Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2022, 01:47 PM

50,923 posts, read 36,618,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
Sure they do. They hire felons all the time. This is on their website. They are a sponsor for Second Chance which is a program that hires felons.

https://www.uber.com/bh/en/community...fresh-chances/
But they know about that. It certainly doesn't change the fact that they background check. I don't have a problem with them being part of the second chance program. Heck, if you get convicted of tax evasion, you're a felon. Doesn't make you dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2022, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouSeeYourGypsy View Post
So many heartbreaking situations happen with pets. You have to be so careful with them, I learned the hard way.

I'm actually going through a small claims court case right now with a Rover pet sitter I hired during my recent move, who never returned my pitiful little 8 pound declawed (not by me) Persian cat. There's a lot more to this story, just know justice will be served. It's painful to go through this court case but my tiny boy deserves the justice and it's for his memory. I don't even expect for her to pay up, but I get to put the debt on her credit report as an act of justice.

Long story short, I personally am only ever going to use animal boarding/"pet sitting" at a licensed vet or actual boarding business. Many don't know this, but any joe blow age 18 and up can go make an account on Rover and Wag, with zero training required. They don't have to show where the animals will be boarded, they don't have to prove they have exit points secured.. nada.

If you google "rover pet sitter killed animal" you will see a plethora of tragedies.

Never again for me.
That's horrible! Does she have your little cat still? I'd be in jail right now if she took one of my babies!

Old 03-11-2022, 02:28 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,157,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Good. Everyone deserves a second chance.

Once a criminal pays his debt to society by doing the time required of him behind bars, that's it. He starts out with a clean slate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
But they know about that. It certainly doesn't change the fact that they background check. I don't have a problem with them being part of the second chance program. Heck, if you get convicted of tax evasion, you're a felon. Doesn't make you dangerous.

I don't have a problem with people having a second chance but I do have a problem with uber letting them drive people around, who are unaware they could be in danger. There has certainly been some horrific crimes by uber drivers who never should have been set loose on those passengers.
It was made clear from some of the replies on this thread that some people were unaware of ubers practice to hire convicted felons.

Old 03-11-2022, 02:53 PM

39 posts, read 35,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That's horrible! Does she have your little cat still? I'd be in jail right now if she took one of my babies!
Oh what all happened was disgusting. It's a long story sadly with no resolution. I have no idea what happened to my boy. if he was sold or what.

I'm so sad my boy paid the price. The worst part has been the guilt. As pet owners our babies trust us. It continuously tears me up inside to know he trusted me as his mama and look what situation I put him in. He probably was so scared and wondering why isn't mama coming back to save him.

I just want to let it be known to anyone reading this, that any joe blow can go on Rover or Wag, they do a background check and that's it. 5 star reviews doesn't matter. My sitter had many 5 star reviews. If you look up the tragedies with Rover/Wage sitters, the sitters had good reviews. That doesn't matter. I believe eventually there will be a class action lawsuit, and I will gladly be part of it.

Old 03-11-2022, 03:37 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,715,785 times
Steel Puppy was my Led Zeppelin-Three Dog Night fusion cover band in college.

Old 03-11-2022, 03:38 PM

Quote:
I don't have a problem with people having a second chance but I do have a problem with uber letting them drive people around, who are unaware they could be in danger. There has certainly been some horrific crimes by uber drivers who never should have been set loose on those passengers.
It was made clear from some of the replies on this thread that some people were unaware of ubers practice to hire convicted felons.
I don't think the second chance program equals riders are in danger. As in the example I gave with tax evasion, just being a felon doesn't mean the person is a danger to anyone. I highly doubt they are including drivers who have violent crimes as part of the second chance program.

Most of the crimes committed are probably people who never got convicted before. Just not having a record doesn't mean a person isn't dangerous.

Old 03-11-2022, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Oh what all happened was disgusting. It's a long story sadly with no resolution. I have no idea what happened to my boy. if he was sold or what.

I'm so sad my boy paid the price. The worst part has been the guilt. As pet owners our babies trust us. It continuously tears me up inside to know he trusted me as his mama and look what situation I put him in. He probably was so scared and wondering why isn't mama coming back to save him.

I just want to let it be known to anyone reading this, that any joe blow can go on Rover or Wag, they do a background check and that's it. 5 star reviews doesn't matter. My sitter had many 5 star reviews. If you look up the tragedies with Rover/Wage sitters, the sitters had good reviews. That doesn't matter. I believe eventually there will be a class action lawsuit, and I will gladly be part of it.
I can't imagine how heartbroken and guilt-ridden you must feel.

Old 03-11-2022, 03:54 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,136,344 times
Quote:
Yes, this is news to me. The thing is, I’ve never had a bad experience with an Uber driver, most of them are friendly and very talkative and I hear a lot about what bought them to that city, their previous jobs, and so on. I’ve even gotten stock tips.

Makes you wonder if the screening process for regular taxis is better than Uber. It’s definitely something to think about.

Old 03-11-2022, 05:20 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,157,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Yes, this is news to me. The thing is, I’ve never had a bad experience with an Uber driver, most of them are friendly and very talkative and I hear a lot about what bought them to that city, their previous jobs, and so on. I’ve even gotten stock tips.

Makes you wonder if the screening process for regular taxis is better than Uber. It’s definitely something to think about.
The amount of uber attacks on female passengers is enough where I won't uber by myself. Rape is a very violent crime and uber likes to shove those high numbers out of public site. Uber tries and has succeeded in getting drivers felonies reduced to lesser charges.

I don't know if the screening for yellow cabs are different but the separation shields do offer a sense of safety to me.

Old 03-11-2022, 05:35 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,136,344 times
Quote:

That’s a very sad thing to happen, but maybe others will learn from your experience. Many people are trusting, and I’ve often looked at the adds for pet sitters and think, no way. You’re right, anyone can put up a nice website and have unlimited five star reviews. I’m puppy browsing now and do a reverse image check to see if the website got those images from someone else. It can help weed out the bad ones.

Always check the BBB for complaints. Who knows what kind of flakes Rover/Wage hire, but checking them out first instead of relying on those so called five star reviews, could save a lot of stress and maybe your pet.

Hope it works out and this person is punished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events