Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2022, 04:28 PM

2,409 posts, read 1,528,388 times

Advertisements

I wonder when they are going to release the names of the cadets. And if there are any charges pending for their behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2022, 04:46 PM

19,023 posts, read 14,201,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Ive long thought this is the real reason these laws remain in place...(to protect the criminals).
The reason for proscriptions on intoxicants and narcotics is due to the requirement for criminal behavior to have been done with intent. Those who are intoxicated or incapacitated while committing crimes would have their state as a mitigating circumstance. So the government simply criminalized the possession and use of such items, thus removing that defense for subsequent criminal acts.
If ever they could change the rules on criminal behavior to exclude intoxication as a mitigating factor, then they could end the proscription. Of course, what if that intoxication was involuntary? See the problem?
Ditto, for addictive chemicals. Are the dealers to be charged with biochemical kidnapping and extortion? And treated to capital punishment?

Old 03-20-2022, 04:54 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,234,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Anything to back up your question?
What is needed to back up a question?

Why not just say it straight? You're asking what his motive for the question is, because you're assuming something. What is needed to back up an accusation?

Old 03-20-2022, 05:13 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
What is needed to back up a question?

Why not just say it straight? You're asking what his motive for the question is, because you're assuming something. What is needed to back up an accusation?
I'm asking for the poster to set it straight. He's making insinuations with his questions. I am asking if he has anything to back this insinuation up.

Old 03-20-2022, 06:20 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,827,955 times
Quote:
Anything to back up your question?
It was one question, not a statement. Why would anyone need to "back up" a question?

Old 03-20-2022, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
It was one question, not a statement. Why would anyone need to "back up" a question?
Ok. So why did you choose to pose that question? Questions don't just come out of nowhere, so I was just curious as to why you went to affirmative action recruits as a possible answer to the discussion of talented individuals who would throw away their careers over a stupid decision like these folks did as you clearly thought it was an option as an answer (or at least posed the possibility). Is this something that you've seen affirmative action recruits do or would expect affirmative action recruits to do? And at a rate higher than non-affirmative action recruits? Is there something that you have here to suggest that the individuals in question here are "affirmative action recruits?"

Surely, you have a reason for posing the question. I'm just curious to know your reasoning. It's fine if you don't want to answer, but that's what my question was for.

Old 03-20-2022, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
I wonder when they are going to release the names of the cadets. And if there are any charges pending for their behavior.
That's a good question. If these folks got court-martialed or otherwise went through the Florida justice system (I don't see the latter happening), we'd get their names if they were found guilty. I am shocked that things haven't leaked yet. My guess is that folks don't want to cause further embarrassment to the US military and West Point.

Old 03-20-2022, 11:36 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,827,955 times
Quote:
Ok. So why did you choose to pose that question? Questions don't just come out of nowhere, so I was just curious as to why you went to affirmative action recruits as a possible answer to the discussion of talented individuals who would throw away their careers over a stupid decision like these folks did as you clearly thought it was an option as an answer (or at least posed the possibility). Is this something that you've seen affirmative action recruits do or would expect affirmative action recruits to do? And at a rate higher than non-affirmative action recruits? Is there something that you have here to suggest that the individuals in question here are "affirmative action recruits?"

Surely, you have a reason for posing the question. I'm just curious to know your reasoning. It's fine if you don't want to answer, but that's what my question was for.
I posed the question after reading through the entire thread. A number of previous posters alluded to the fact that standards have been lowered to accommodate candidates. Isn't that what happens with Affirmative Action at universities? (It certainly did at mine.)

For example I read upthread: With the exception of the U.S. Coast Guard Academy all of the military service academies are admitting applicants that never would have been admitted twenty or twenty five years ago.

I also worked with Affirmative Action teacher recruits in Education. If this story had been about them, I wouldn't have been at all surprised.

It seemed like a logical question to me.

Old 03-21-2022, 02:15 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I posed the question after reading through the entire thread. A number of previous posters alluded to the fact that standards have been lowered to accommodate candidates. Isn't that what happens with Affirmative Action at universities? (It certainly did at mine.)

For example I read upthread: With the exception of the U.S. Coast Guard Academy all of the military service academies are admitting applicants that never would have been admitted twenty or twenty five years ago.

I also worked with Affirmative Action teacher recruits in Education. If this story had been about them, I wouldn't have been at all surprised.

It seemed like a logical question to me.

I've known my friend who's son got into the Naval academy since about 2014. I believe her son was around 10th grade then. Their whole life was about him getting in. Everything she had told me back then, her son had to be the best of the best in order to actually qualify.

So many kids apply. They then jump through all of these hoops over the years while in high school. As I mentioned, they went to a few dinners where he had to get a congressman to back him.

It was surreal, it started with at least a hundred kids, then it seemed like each "round" the numbers went down as some did not make it into the next category.

I wish I could remember the final round, was way under 50, maybe about 25 kids who actually made it in.

I don't know if they took others due to affirmative action, I honestly can't see them doing that when the rest of them had to be the cream of the crop.

I'd hate to be the parents of these young people who did the laced coke. WTF were they thinking? I would never take drugs these days unless I got the pure coke to cut myself. You never know what someone will cut it with. Back in my day, it was some sort of white powder, I think some sort of diuretic. Been too long ago (40 years) for me to remember.

Even back in my day, being a teen in the early 80's, every now and then someone would get a joint that was cut with angel dust which was some nasty stuff. I would not chance it. Some people I knew had some bad highs from it.

Old 03-21-2022, 10:13 AM

9,866 posts, read 4,638,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I've known my friend who's son got into the Naval academy since about 2014. I believe her son was around 10th grade then. Their whole life was about him getting in. Everything she had told me back then, her son had to be the best of the best in order to actually qualify.

So many kids apply. They then jump through all of these hoops over the years while in high school. As I mentioned, they went to a few dinners where he had to get a congressman to back him.

It was surreal, it started with at least a hundred kids, then it seemed like each "round" the numbers went down as some did not make it into the next category.

I wish I could remember the final round, was way under 50, maybe about 25 kids who actually made it in.

I don't know if they took others due to affirmative action, I honestly can't see them doing that when the rest of them had to be the cream of the crop.

I'd hate to be the parents of these young people who did the laced coke. WTF were they thinking? I would never take drugs these days unless I got the pure coke to cut myself. You never know what someone will cut it with. Back in my day, it was some sort of white powder, I think some sort of diuretic. Been too long ago (40 years) for me to remember.

Even back in my day, being a teen in the early 80's, every now and then someone would get a joint that was cut with angel dust which was some nasty stuff. I would not chance it. Some people I knew had some bad highs from it.
I read many currently laced pot joints have a similar effect to pcp which is also called angel dust. It's like what was old or out dated is new to young druggie party people. I have nuisance neighbors and their drug/pot use so prevalent even I can tell they're smoking different kinds of pot. On top of the alcohol and other drugs.

I just don't get those cadets are in such a coveted unique position and they blow it with excessive partying. Maybe they thought since they got in and survived the first few months they figured they were home free.

I guarantee you there were signs of prior drug use and partying if one really looked. At that age unless a friend, teacher, coach see's something obvious they'll get the benefit of the doubt ie oh yeah he's a great guy I'll give him a recommendation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events