Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2022, 10:49 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
These guys just happened to get caught. I think this is a much bigger problem than these overdoses reveal. It's no mystery why cocaine was the drug of choice here as cocaine--as opposed to, say, marijuana--generally stops showing up in urine tests after a few days. It wouldn't shock me if people experimented during long leave periods, long weekends, and spring/winter break periods where they aren't going to be getting tested.
Yes, this. My honey was a marine, although not an officer or academy grad. Anyone who thinks young Marines and other service members don't party hearty must not know any. You should hear some of their stories when they get together. These are just the kids who got caught, but I don't think they are anamolies.

I'm sure the rates of alcohol and drug use is pretty similar to any other school. Cocaine isn't considered a big deal by kids, the problem is the stuff on the street is laced with other things. Another reason why drugs should be legalized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2022, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
I read many currently laced pot joints have a similar effect to pcp which is also called angel dust. It's like what was old or out dated is new to young druggie party people. I have nuisance neighbors and their drug/pot use so prevalent even I can tell they're smoking different kinds of pot. On top of the alcohol and other drugs.

I just don't get those cadets are in such a coveted unique position and they blow it with excessive partying. Maybe they thought since they got in and survived the first few months they figured they were home free.

I guarantee you there were signs of prior drug use and partying if one really looked. At that age unless a friend, teacher, coach see's something obvious they'll get the benefit of the doubt ie oh yeah he's a great guy I'll give him a recommendation.
This was the case in the 70's and 80's, too, it's not new. I had a couple of bad experiences as a young teen due to it.

Old 03-21-2022, 10:58 AM

1,069 posts, read 746,360 times
Quote:
Ok. So why did you choose to pose that question? Questions don't just come out of nowhere, so I was just curious as to why you went to affirmative action recruits as a possible answer to the discussion of talented individuals who would throw away their careers over a stupid decision like these folks did as you clearly thought it was an option as an answer (or at least posed the possibility). Is this something that you've seen affirmative action recruits do or would expect affirmative action recruits to do? And at a rate higher than non-affirmative action recruits? Is there something that you have here to suggest that the individuals in question here are "affirmative action recruits?"

Surely, you have a reason for posing the question. I'm just curious to know your reasoning. It's fine if you don't want to answer, but that's what my question was for.
This is a New York Times article on this topic.

"Even as the Bush administration sides with opponents of affirmative action at the University of Michigan, officials of the nation's service academies say their own minority admissions programs are necessary to maintain both integrated student bodies and officer corps.By defending policies that are not ''race neutral,'' the admissions officers appear to contradict their commander in chief. On Jan. 15, President Bush criticized Michigan's polices, which he said gave preference to some applicants ''not because of any academic achievement or life experience, but solely because they are African-American, Hispanic or Native American.'',While the academy officials would not discuss the Michigan case, several outside legal experts argue that the administration's legal theories in briefs it filed with the Supreme Court in the case raise serious questions about the procedures at the elite training grounds for future military leaders at West Point, Annapolis and Colorado Springs.Expressing similar concerns, a group of retired senior officers is planning to file a friend-of-the-court brief next month warning against any Supreme Court ruling that could imperil the academies' contribution to the integrated officer corps."

The entire article is well worth reading:

https://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/28/u...-policies.html

Last edited by irishcopper; 03-21-2022 at 12:07 PM..

Old 03-21-2022, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcopper View Post

Paywall

Old 03-21-2022, 12:02 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcopper View Post

Thanks. A very informative article on a topic that I've been following. From what I gather, though, the concerns here go overall to fairness and whether or not watering down standards for some makes them less likely to succeed, which could harm military readiness. They don't, as I've researched and understand, go to whether such individuals who benefit from affirmative action policies have poor judgment outside of the classroom, etc.

Even from a mission preparedness standpoint--and while I am against race-based affirmative action on a fairness perspective--I don't know if I buy that students who score somewhat below on, say, standardized tests than others are going to be poor military leaders and the such. Or are prone to make poorer decisions than others who scored higher on standardized testing. Particularly for judgment aspect of things, I have not seen evidence to support either causation or correlation Folks who perform well academically often make the same reckless decisions than those who don't . . . I saw it firsthand at my Ivy League university during undergrad studies, where more than a few non-affirmative action admits regularly engaged in hard drugs like cocaine, etc. One of guys I was friendly with in freshman year actually had to take some time off to go to rehab.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 03-21-2022 at 12:38 PM..

Old 03-21-2022, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks. A very informative article on a topic that I've been following. From what I gather, though, the concerns here go overall to fairness and whether or not watering down standards for some makes them less likely to succeed, which could harm military readiness. They don't, as I've researched and understand, go to whether such individuals who benefit from affirmative action policies have poor judgment outside of the classroom, etc.

Even from a mission preparedness standpoint--and while I am against race-based affirmative action on a fairness perspective--I don't know if I buy that students who score somewhat below on, say, standardized tests than others are going to be poor military leaders and the such. Or are prone to make poorer decisions than others who scored higher on standardized testing. Particularly for judgment aspect of things, I have not seen evidence to support either causation or correlation Folks who perform well academically often make the same reckless decisions than those who don't . . . I saw it firsthand at my Ivy League university during undergrad studies, where more than a few non-affirmative action admits regularly engaged in hard drugs like cocaine, etc. One of guys I was friendly with in freshman year actually had to take some time off to go to rehab.
The article specifically stated minority recruits who fall “just under†the standards, and then they’re sent to a prep academy for a year. They aren’t taking B and C students who score 800 on SATs, sounds like still accomplished and hard working students. There is no reason to think these students would be more likely to do things against the rules. They’re probably more likely to appreciate the opportunity. I personally found that persons post kind of insulting and offensive.

Old 03-21-2022, 11:35 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times
This story sure got swept under the rug! Nothing new for nearly a week.

Are they all still alive?

Old 03-22-2022, 01:34 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, this. My honey was a marine, although not an officer or academy grad. Anyone who thinks young Marines and other service members don't party hearty must not know any. You should hear some of their stories when they get together. These are just the kids who got caught, but I don't think they are anamolies.

I'm sure the rates of alcohol and drug use is pretty similar to any other school. Cocaine isn't considered a big deal by kids, the problem is the stuff on the street is laced with other things. Another reason why drugs should be legalized.

Back when your man was in was probably similar to when my ex BF got a surprise drug test in the Navy, blew his brains out. I think he was born in 61.

Old 03-22-2022, 07:14 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
This story sure got swept under the rug! Nothing new for nearly a week.

Are they all still alive?
The wheels of justice grind slowly, as does recovery from some medical conditions. There can't be much new to drive clicks thus is edited out for new stuff.

Old 03-22-2022, 07:22 AM

9,872 posts, read 4,646,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The wheels of justice grind slowly, as does recovery from some medical conditions. There can't be much new to drive clicks thus is edited out for new stuff.
If the cadets are lucky it will only be administrative discipline if they have clean records. If one of them came up positive in a random/surprise drug test it could be the end for them. Or they have some other discipline issues on record. My guess is a few will luck out with a month or so of extra duty and suspension of any privileges they might have. They also could lose any rank they have at the academy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events