Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2022, 07:32 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
If the cadets are lucky it will only be administrative discipline if they have clean records. If one of them came up positive in a random/surprise drug test it could be the end for them. Or they have some other discipline issues on record. My guess is a few will luck out with a month or so of extra duty and suspension of any privileges they might have. They also could lose any rank they have at the academy.
I say if these cadets are lucky, they will be administratively separated and not face either federal or state criminal drug charges.

I could be dead wrong (doubt it), but I see no way how these cadets are not separated from the academy. At least for four of the cadets. What could be trickier is the two cadets who supposedly OD'd while giving mouth-to-mouth, but I'd be shocked if an investigation uncovered that they were not complicit in some manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2022, 07:45 AM

9,870 posts, read 4,641,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I say if these cadets are lucky, they will be administratively separated and not face either federal or state criminal drug charges.

I could be dead wrong (doubt it), but I see no way how these cadets are not separated from the academy. At least for four of the cadets. What could be trickier is the two cadets who supposedly OD'd while giving mouth-to-mouth, but I'd be shocked if an investigation uncovered that they were not complicit in some manner.
Yeh it's not like having a few beers too many they had to commit a criminal act to obtain the drugs and/or were in possession of them. They'll claim they were on official leave/own time. If Florida police don't file charges against them they might get a break.

Who pays those hospital bills because they really aren't active duty yet.

Old 03-22-2022, 07:51 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Yeh it's not like having a few beers too many they had to commit a criminal act to obtain the drugs and/or were in possession of them. They'll claim they were on official leave/own time. If Florida police don't file charges against them they might get a break.

Who pays those hospital bills because they really aren't active duty yet.
They are active duty, now if something like Pearl Harbor were attacked they would be pulled from school, academic training, get their commission and start heading to the front.

Old 03-22-2022, 08:35 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post

My friend said the same, they're gonna be out, maybe the other two will get lucky but she doesn't think so.

Old 03-22-2022, 08:45 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
My friend said the same, they're gonna be out, maybe the other two will get lucky but she doesn't think so.
Can't rep you again right now, but that is how I see it. For the two who supposedly OD'd from mouth-to-mouth, I'd imagine that they would have to show that they knew absolutely nothing about the substance use in the property (if they were staying there, that's doubtful) and just happened to walk into a scene where they witnessed that and tried to help. More plausible, even if they weren't using themselves, they were likely aware of the substances being used in the property and continued to stay there, which wouldn't get them out of trouble either IMO.

Old 03-22-2022, 10:23 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
This story sure got swept under the rug! Nothing new for nearly a week.

Are they all still alive?
It's not that huge a deal outside of the school. No one died. Kids on spring break probably OD every year. The only thing that makes these students different is the prestige of the school. But they're still college kids like any other college kids. What kind of additional news would you expect to see?

Old 03-22-2022, 10:26 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Back when your man was in was probably similar to when my ex BF got a surprise drug test in the Navy, blew his brains out. I think he was born in 61.
I find the whole premise of the drug testing to be ridiculous ,because it is common and accepted that they get drunk out of their minds on leave all the time. With my honey who was in Italy and other first-world countries, the party started as soon as they got off the ship. People might say "oh, but they participated in an illegal activity" but again it's common and accepted that lots of these guys hire prostitutes on leave, too, and no one blinks and eye about that.

Old 03-22-2022, 11:29 AM

1,069 posts, read 746,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I find the whole premise of the drug testing to be ridiculous ,because it is common and accepted that they get drunk out of their minds on leave all the time. With my honey who was in Italy and other first-world countries, the party started as soon as they got off the ship. People might say "oh, but they participated in an illegal activity" but again it's common and accepted that lots of these guys hire prostitutes on leave, too, and no one blinks and eye about that.
Being a former aircraft carrier flight deck crewman as well as a helicopter aircrewman I have pretty strong feelings about this issue. I was in the Navy before and after it instituted the Zero Tolerance policy for drugs in 1981. Marijuana and hashish use was common place in the barracks and at sea. On May 26, 1981, a jet crash and fire on the deck of the aircraft carrier Nimitz off the coast of Florida killed 14 sailors, injured 48 others and caused about $150 million in damage. What caused a shockwave throughout the Navy, though, was news that traces of marijuana were found in the systems of six of the dead sailors, and that drugs contributed to the crash and its aftermath. Seven months later, President Ronald Reagan's administration announced a zero-tolerance drug policy for all military branches. All service members were subject to urinalysis, and those who failed could be punished with courts-martial and discharge. Drug use across the military plummeted by at least two-thirds by 1985. Your comparison of military personnel frequenting brothels and illicit drug use is a bit of a stretch. Frequenting brothels was never my thing but boys will be boys. As a Corpsman I always warned them about the perils of brothels and prostitutes. Some took my warnings seriously and others didn't. Some of those that didn't ended up in sick bay to be treated for an STD. They couldn't say that they weren't warned. The big difference in hiring prostitutes and using illicit drugs on duty is that one may impair you and the other one doesn't. This video illustrates why the military instituted it's strict policy on drugs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG2v_FU0dGQ

The cadets knew the regulations regarding drug use the day they entered gates of West Point. I have no sympathy for them regardless of their age. The U.S. military demands much more of young people serving in it's ranks than does the private sector. Responsibilities come fast and you're assigned duties that are often perilous with little room for error. If you can't play by the rules then you've got to go. As a side, I've always supported the legalization of marijuana but that's the topic of another discussion.

Last edited by irishcopper; 03-22-2022 at 12:07 PM..

Old 03-22-2022, 11:48 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
There is another part of this story that I don't think anyone realizes.

Wilton Manors is the largest gay city on the planet. It isn't a city with a big gay area like San Francisco but the entire town is gay. All of the stores, restaurants, dentists, doctors, undertakers, etc. The police cars all have rainbow flags painted on them.

You don't stay in Wilton Manors for any other reason than you are gay.

Old 03-22-2022, 12:08 PM

1,069 posts, read 746,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
There is another part of this story that I don't think anyone realizes.

Wilton Manors is the largest gay city on the planet. It isn't a city with a big gay area like San Francisco but the entire town is gay. All of the stores, restaurants, dentists, doctors, undertakers, etc. The police cars all have rainbow flags painted on them.

You don't stay in Wilton Manors for any other reason than you are gay.

I'm not sure if you read the memo but being LGBT is not longer an issue in the U.S. military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events