Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 09:59 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Lowering of the standards, perhaps?
It's happened in the police department, fire department, military, government, job market, etc. No doubt it's happened at West Point too.

Maybe West Point will overcome the shame somewhat, but it'll take a long time. It will never regain the proud reputation it once had.

I hope no leniency is shown to all those involved. Any cadet who knew anything about that should be kicked out.

Wanna bet that won't happen? I foresee a slapping of the wrists and excuses made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2022, 10:07 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,524,546 times
Some news outlets are reporting that at least 1 of the OD victims is a football player. Most likely all the victims are on sport teams, if not specifically football players. Often the sports team members are picked for athletic prowess instead of academic smarts like the rest of the student body.

Either way the fallout from this at West Point will be far reaching. At a minimum there will be a campus wide urinalysis by the end of the month. It will be interesting to see how many students are dismissed for failing the easily passed test.

Old 03-12-2022, 10:38 AM

5,166 posts, read 4,938,673 times
No sympathy here. These individuals knew exactly what the risks were and choose to partake in elicit drugs anyway. As for the two who became overdosed from trying to revive their pals, I hope they recover but since they did nothing to stop the drug use in the first place, they don't deserve to be groomed into leaders in our military.

Old 03-12-2022, 10:57 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Knock, knock.

Who's there?

Darwin...

Aw, never mind.

I'm more concerned about the quest for our government to step in and "do something!" about subletting rental property.

More government rules and regs will soon be on their way.
That is a concern I'd have in the aftermath, too. Honolulu has already taken things to the extreme, IMO, in banning almost all short term rentals, which harms folks like me who would otherwise rent our place out on a short term basis.

Old 03-12-2022, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC View Post
What an embarrassment to them, their families and unfortunately West Point too. How stupid can you be to get accepted there, then blow it by doing drugs. It's a privilege to attend West Point. They don't deserve that honor.

The spring breakers are swarming Va Beach. I hate the "cruising" traffic and the late night sirens but at least the armpit of the strip is far enough away that I don't have to deal with the drunken last call crowd.
The sad thing is that I think that more military service academy students are using hard drugs when on extended break (though most I'd wager are probably on the right path). I've read that cocaine is generally detectable in drug tests for between 3-10 days after consumption. This as opposed to marijuana, which I'm reading can be detectable in urine for up to 30 days after consumption. I'm a sponsor of a Naval Academy midshipman and it looks like the service academies have a similar period of time out for spring break, totaling around 9-10 days depending on when folks leave for their last final. My guess is that some folks are willing to risk doing hard drugs earlier on in the break, knowing that even if there is an academy-wide urinalysis sweep when folks get back from spring break, the odds are that the drugs will no longer be detectable.

The really ballsy thing here, however, is that West Point ends it spring break tomorrow, with cadets returning to class on Monday. So folks really took a gamble with this move. My guess is that the academy will conduct a urinalysis sweep on Monday. Sadly, something tells me that more will pop positive if this is the case.

Old 03-12-2022, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Good bye future careers!! Idiots
While I hope all are ok, I'm glad that the powers that be found out about their drug use before these cadets were commissioned and in a position of authority over others.

Old 03-12-2022, 11:14 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,524,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post

Wanna bet that won't happen? I foresee a slapping of the wrists and excuses made.
Just like all the rape allegations at the naval academy. Nothing to see he folks.

Old 03-12-2022, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The drug laws themselves are to blame for this...the coke was 'laced' with Fentanyl!!

If this was legal, these drugs would be manufactured under strict regulations and quality controls...keeping them illegal just ensures more deaths and overdoses in the future.

Its really pointless to debate though, because overall the Govt has no authority to impose or enforce 'drug laws' in the first place, history proves without a doubt, this is not a safety or health concern anyway, keeping drug laws in place does nothing but ensuring criminals continue to profit (tax free as well)...

Ive long thought this is the real reason these laws remain in place...(to protect the criminals).
I'm not sure. If legal and regulated, that would add costs, which means that you'd still have a black market where people attempt to get around the regulations in order to sell their goods at a discounted price. That is, unless you subsidize heavily the production and sell of hard drugs similar to how milk is subsidized.

In any event, hard drugs like cocaine are incredibly addictive and plenty of people oversoe on "pure" cocaine regularly, too.

Old 03-12-2022, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Lowering of the standards, perhaps?
Drug addiction and use don't discriminate. The rich, poor, highly educated, not-so-highly educated, academic rock stars, high school drop outs, etc., all fall victim to drug use. Many at these service academies and elsewhere just don't get caught.

I attended an Ivy league school for undergraduate studies. I went to a frat party in my freshman year, which was the first and only frat party I attended. Why? There was cocaine laid out on the table and all other kinds of shenanigans going on. One of my friends in freshman year had to take time off from school to go to rehab. It was crazy.

Old 03-12-2022, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
Some news outlets are reporting that at least 1 of the OD victims is a football player. Most likely all the victims are on sport teams, if not specifically football players. Often the sports team members are picked for athletic prowess instead of academic smarts like the rest of the student body.

Either way the fallout from this at West Point will be far reaching. At a minimum there will be a campus wide urinalysis by the end of the month. It will be interesting to see how many students are dismissed for failing the easily passed test.
Yep. I see that happening on Monday when West Point returns from spring break, which I see catching more than a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events