Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2022, 06:46 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,212,275 times

Advertisements

We are such an awful species

We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.
William Inge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2022, 12:35 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Neither the article, or anyone here, has explained HOW the camel killed these guys.

Stomping, head-banging, biting, kicked, trampled, WHAT?

With domestic livestock, usually sharp hooves are involved. Which camels don't have.

Old 03-19-2022, 09:02 PM

10,091 posts, read 14,965,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Neither the article, or anyone here, has explained HOW the camel killed these guys.

With domestic livestock, usually sharp hooves are involved. Which camels don't have.
A camel could knock down a person which itself is not fata;, but if they hit their head upon impacting the ground it could become fatal. That's one example of a camel killing people.

Old 03-20-2022, 07:27 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
A camel could knock down a person which itself is not fata;, but if they hit their head upon impacting the ground it could become fatal. That's one example of a camel killing people.
They can also bite very hard causing blood loss. But I read what they can also do is grab a person with their teeth and hurl them. They weight well over 1000 pounds. That could do it.

I worked at six flags great adventure safari park as a “gatekeeper” when I was 16. Gatekeepers are supposed to keep animals from going through the gate outside their area (it’s open for cars). One day I saw a camel running at top speed toward my area. I ran in my little hut and called the zebra truck guys. They chased it back but they acted like I was ridiculous for being scared of it.

I quit a few days later. I was afraid every day in that job. It’s nuts, I didn’t have any kind of training. For $3.15 an hour lol, a nickel more than the rest of the park, hazard pay I guess!

Old 03-20-2022, 10:39 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:

I don't know. What does it do to the human body to be slammed by 1000 pounds, against the chest, or on the spleen, or kidneys. A motorcycle can kill you by hitting you and it doesn't have any claws, either.

And by the way, cattle don't kill people with sharp hooves. They kill people by head butting them and/or crushing them. About 22 people killed every year in the USA by cattle and while cattle have hooves, their hooves aren't particularly sharp.

Hippos kill 500 people every year and they don't have any hooves at all nor do they have any sharp teeth. Animals do not need sharp hooves to kill.

Old 03-20-2022, 11:56 AM

60 posts, read 29,279 times
Quote:
What on earth!

How does a camel with its padded feet---kill someone? Kicked to death? Trampled? It's sound like rabies behavior.

I know they can be "bad-tempered" but killing? The article didn't explain much. Now I have to go look up camel violence....
A camel can weigh 1500 pounds, it could kill you simply by knocking you down, and then crushing you, with its weight.☹️

Old 03-20-2022, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
We are such an awful species

We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.
William Inge
That sounds pretty silly.

Old 03-20-2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
To me "put down" signifies a planned death, as in "We have to have our cat put down because he has cancer". I mean, would you use the term "He was put down" regarding a murderer who was shot in a standoff with police? I wouldn't, I'd say he was shot and killed.
I tried to give you reputation points for that post, by I was stopped from it and chided “to spread some around”. So I simply wrote it out.

Old 03-20-2022, 12:04 PM

I could probably get above the 50 post count just on this thread alone.

Old 03-20-2022, 01:38 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,571,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
To me "put down" signifies a planned death, as in "We have to have our cat put down because he has cancer". I mean, would you use the term "He was put down" regarding a murderer who was shot in a standoff with police? I wouldn't, I'd say he was shot and killed.
I've heard it said many times about a particularly violent person that they were "put down like a rabid dog". Which fits. A choice was made in a matter of seconds by the officers in charge. Let the killer camel live at the expense of others. Or stop the carnage once, and for all. They did the right thing. Once it has the taste of killing people it cannot be rehabilitated.

God forbid that the poster complaining about how this was handled was placed in the same situation where seconds, and lives matter. If they were wasting time pondering the ethics of what needed to be done instead of acting, then more lives could have been lost. And the camel still would have been destroyed because of it's violent nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events