Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2022, 10:46 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
As I said, it is not instant. Have you witnessed an animal put down by injection? I thought it was a peaceful way until I was there holding onto my horse as the vet injected her. It was awful, I cried all day. Her eyes went wild, she made a horrible sound of pain and fear, she reared and stiffened and fell to the ground looking at me wild eyed for a good 5 minutes before she went. When the time came for my other horse, my son put one bullet in her head and she was gone in a few seconds.

The camel just killed two people and was charging at others. You expect they are going to get a vet out there to put his/her life on the line to get a needle into the camels vein? I just hope the cop was a good shot.

Some years back I remember a bull getting loose from the stock yard that for some reason was still on the main drag right next to the Wal Mart. It was damaging vehicles and terrifying customers and the cops had to come out and shot it in the parking lot as they were unable to take it alive safely. And one time a big buck had a women trapped in her house, it kept attacking her when she tried to go to her car and the sheriff had to come out and shoot it.
I think the argument is really over semantics, definition of "euthanized", etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2022, 10:49 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
There is a difference. Saying "it was euthanized" makes it sound like it was planned, that the powers that be decided to euthanize it after the fact. That is not the same as the police shooting it in the heat of the moment because it was out of control and attacking them. I wouldn't call that being euthanized.
How is that different from what I said. I'm not sure what your arguing.

I said the animal was put down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy
As usual, they put down the poor animal, in this case a camel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC
No they didn't. A cop shot the poor camel to death. Not the same thing.

That is how animals are put down.

Being shot to death is not how animals are euthanized in the US.

Old 03-18-2022, 11:01 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
How is that different from what I said. I'm not sure what your arguing.

I said the animal was put down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy
As usual, they put down the poor animal, in this case a camel.

Quote:
No they didn't. A cop shot the poor camel to death. Not the same thing.

That is how animals are put down.

Being shot to death is not how animals are euthanized in the US.
To me "put down" signifies a planned death, as in "We have to have our cat put down because he has cancer". I mean, would you use the term "He was put down" regarding a murderer who was shot in a standoff with police? I wouldn't, I'd say he was shot and killed.

Old 03-18-2022, 11:30 AM

Quote:
To me "put down" signifies a planned death, as in "We have to have our cat put down because he has cancer". I mean, would you use the term "He was put down" regarding a murderer who was shot in a standoff with police? I wouldn't, I'd say he was shot and killed.
I dont know if I would or not. Generally we use different terms for animals than people. Spay, neuter vs. tubal ligation, vasectomy. It does not matter in the least, put down, euthanized, shot to death. I have heard put down often and I have herd shot when talking about animals. Put down is a term for killing an animal regardless of the way in which it was intentionally killed. And the shot was not accidental.

Not sure why you are wanting to argue with me for saying shot to death and put down are the same thing. The animal was intentionally shot and it died, many people consider that "put down". And I would bet if the cops had not shot it then the camel would have been sentenced to death and shot and died or put down at a later time.

Old 03-18-2022, 12:14 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
I think the argument is really over semantics, definition of "euthanized", etc.
The gov't calls it euthansia.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/63104745-post30.html

Old 03-18-2022, 12:22 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Interesting and wierd story followed by a less interesting but weirder arguement about semantics...lol

Old 03-18-2022, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Interesting and wierd story followed by a less interesting but weirder arguement about semantics...lol
We almost had an argument over the sematics of "petting zoo"
I'm wondering if the "petting zoo" will be "put down" because of this incident

Old 03-18-2022, 12:34 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,270,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Well, this is City-Data...

Old 03-18-2022, 12:37 PM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times
If all they had was 5.56 I bet they had to shoot a BUNCH of rounds to bring that beast down. They are big as a moose. Most cops aren't equipped to kill something that big.

Old 03-18-2022, 12:44 PM

8,887 posts, read 5,368,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
The only time I ever saw a camel was when we went on a school field trip and those camels were behind a fence. I was walking by on my way to see the big cats and one of the camels spit at me, I just gave him the finger and kept on walking.
Went to a dude ranch .... they had a camel in the back. I snuck apples out of the dining room to feed the horses, so I had to give some to Mr Camel. He was grateful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events