Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2022, 05:33 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Deaths and injuries from car accidents are up nationally from where they were a couple of years ago.

https://www.vox.com/22675358/us-car-...covid-pandemic

I have a theory. I think there is a lot of anger out there in society that is fairly recent. I think it stems from what the country has been through due to Covid 19. People are displaying that anger in different ways. Driving aggressively is one way that it is being displayed.
I think it started before Covid, with the last election before Covid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2022, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
One of the things a licensed driver is expected to know how to do is to be able to maintain control over their vehicle in the event of a mechanical failure. In this case, steer straight, allow the car to slow down, and gently use the brakes when the speed drops below 30 MPH. Kid clearly didn't have a damn clue what to do when the vehicle pulled to the side.

And the driver, whether or not they are the owner of the vehicle, is responsible for making sure the vehicle is in proper driving condition before they even put the key in the ignition. That means making sure they are driving at a speed prudent for the condition of the vehicle. Not speeding on a doughnut spare or, if it was a full size spare, making sure it is properly inflated and otherwise in proper condition.

This is why children don't belong behind the wheel.
There's not time for defensive maneuvers when you have a blowout at 75+ mph. It's instant, not like a flat.

Old 03-19-2022, 07:35 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proverbs2121 View Post
I am truly very sorry for the loss of life - But I live in this community and every day I get on the road I have to worry that something weird like this might happen. I dont know why but Las Cruces has a very high incidence of reckless driving. Speeding through red lights, hit & runs, and now allowing a child to drive a car on the freeway. The adult in that car should not have allowed a 13 y/o kid on the freeway, spare tire or not. It has become nerve racking for many of us just going from point A to point B because we see so many careless accidents occurring ever day. Today at the Big O Tire, the technician raced out of the garage without slowing and if I had not honked my horn loudly (because I was facing him and saw him coming out), the woman getting in her car nearby would have been hit! It is hard not to be angry every time we run across one of these stories (mostly on our LC Community Watch page on FB).
It was a two lane road in far west TX. It was not on a freeway.

I invite you to read previous posts for details, or to google this.

I sympathize about reckless driving. I see my share of it in WA Stats, especially the red light running. And there was a truly catastrophic multi truck-car accident yesterday on I5 around Tacoma. One of the truck drivers was arrested for DUI. So, recklessness behind the wheel seems to be widespread.

Old 03-20-2022, 04:31 AM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
What are they highways, or two lane roads like this one? On a highway I don’t have a problem with it.
I drove many years ago in Montana when there was no speed limit on two lane highways. I was blazing down two lane roads at over 100 mph. As long as you stay on your side of the centerline, it's perfectly safe. If you can't stay on your side of the centerline, then no speed is safe.

Old 03-20-2022, 04:38 AM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
did they ever find out why the 13 years old is driving,the adult is 30s ,wonder if he is incapable of driving,could be heart attack,thats why the child is asked to drive?
When I was a teenager, my dad loved to have me drive. He would just sit in the passenger seat and do his paperwork. Plus it wasn't long, before he admitted that I was a better driver than he was. Which was true.

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 03-20-2022 at 05:03 AM..

Old 03-20-2022, 05:52 AM

23,865 posts, read 33,540,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Your insurance paid for your daughter's friend's accident? I never knew it would do that, wow!

It paid my daughters medical bills when she was hurt in her friends car. It goes to where the person hurt lives which was my house, so it covered under my car insurance policy with NJ manufacturers insurance.

I'm pretty sure the car had insurance, it was her friends license that was revoked.

Old 03-20-2022, 06:12 AM

10,300 posts, read 6,827,619 times
Quote:
If they were driving around on a donut tire, I can't imagine there was much of an "estate". I'm not even sure how it works in Mennonite communities, if they own individual homes or it's some kind of communally owned property that they all have houses on.
Doesn't matter what religion anyone is (or isn't) under the law. Same rules apply to everyone. (Well, almost everyone...)

Old 03-20-2022, 06:16 AM

10,300 posts, read 6,827,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I drove many years ago in Montana when there was no speed limit on two lane highways. I was blazing down two lane roads at over 100 mph. As long as you stay on your side of the centerline, it's perfectly safe. If you can't stay on your side of the centerline, then no speed is safe.
So very true. In a head-on, anyone is just as dead when traveling at 55mph, as they'd be traveling at 1055mph.

Old 03-20-2022, 06:49 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,134,864 times
Quote:
What are they highways, or two lane roads like this one? On a highway I don’t have a problem with it.
Plenty of two lane highways, I live near one. Speed limits between the cities and towns are generally set similar to multilane highways.

Old 03-20-2022, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Well if you had a blowout at that speed chances are you’d have crossed over however briefly. I think this was just tragic timing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events