Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2022, 07:12 AM

50,730 posts, read 36,447,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Doesn't matter what religion anyone is (or isn't) under the law. Same rules apply to everyone. (Well, almost everyone...)
I meant I didn’t know how they handle property ownership. If they were a cohesive community like the Amish where they can be built a house on more communal type property.

It’s a moot point now. Given his extensive record it doesn’t appear he was living by Mennonite values so probably wouldn’t have been that involved anymore if he ever was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2022, 07:27 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
75 mph is a low speed limit in Texas. Many Texas roads are 80 - 85 mph.
It's not a "low" speed limit in Texas. Portions of the Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, and Wyoming road networks have 80 mph (129 km/h) posted limits. The highest posted speed limit in the country is 85 mph (137 km/h) and can be found only on Texas State Highway 130.
http://www.safeny.ny.gov/spee-ndx.htm#65

Old 03-20-2022, 09:21 AM

15,417 posts, read 7,477,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think having young teens drive trucks is more common in these kind of farming communities, very rural areas. In a Mennonite community they don't see teens as kids as much as larger society does, and I don't know if they respect our laws with regard to things like this. I agree he shouldn't have been driving but I'm sure there are more like him in rural areas.

It also sounds like the speed limit was dangerously high.

"The speed limit at the crash site is 75 mph (120 kph), he said."
(from the linked article). We don't even have 75mph on major highways here.
The speed limit on many rural roads in Texas is 75mph. They are well built and generally in good shape. Even if the speed limit is lower, most drivers will be driving at 75.

Old 03-20-2022, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Spare tires are not to be driven over 50mph, which I learned when I had a flat tire once and the donut was used so I could get to a tire shop.

Such a stupid Darwin Award-winning calamity, a 13 yr old driving. Sorry, but it's not legal even in TX.
Spare tires on trucks tend to be full size tires, not the little donuts. However, lots of people use an old tire as a spare, often in bad shape. Which reminds me, my spare is 12 years old, and probably needs to be replaced.

Old 03-20-2022, 09:26 AM

Quote:
IDK, it looks kind of small for the truck in this pic:

https://www.fox34.com/2022/03/18/fun...-county-crash/

But the article does identify it as a "spare tire" that blew out, not a donut. Maybe it was old, used before, IDK.
That's a full size wheel with a full size tire. The tire was shredded and then burned.

Old 03-20-2022, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Laws in states govern insurance coverage — if there is “no fault” insurance in place then many times when there is no serious injury or death each insurance holder’s policy covers his/her car and injuries up to certain amount

I find it very difficult to believe that when there is a massive loss of life the insurance of the parties NOT at fault are going to cover their damages….
Legal liability is going to come with the driver of the truck—letting an underage driver operate a vehicle is ALWAYS against the law and would not be covered by the insurance of the holder…
And then you have civil damages
In all likelihood that man has no resources to sue for but you don’t know
Might own property that could be sold/seized after he is found liable

The college should have had insurance on those players but the fact that some of them were not wearing seat belts will count against them because that contributed to their own injuries

This can get messy
Not in Texas, unless the law has changed. A friend did personal injury defense for 40 years, and told me that the fact a victim wasn't wearing a seat belt is not admissible in a trial, unless it can be proven that it contributed to the accident occurring.

Old 03-20-2022, 02:17 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I drove many years ago in Montana when there was no speed limit on two lane highways. I was blazing down two lane roads at over 100 mph. As long as you stay on your side of the centerline, it's perfectly safe. If you can't stay on your side of the centerline, then no speed is safe.
You could hit a deer or other wildlife.

Old 03-20-2022, 02:23 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
DH tells me that he experienced a front tire blowout, and what he remembers is having a hard time holding the truck on the road. I believe he said it was the left front tire, and the truck wanted to divert left into the other lane. What he remembers is how hard it was to get the truck over to the shoulder. He was fortunately not speeding.

If the TX truck was speeding, I am assuming the driver had no time to react.

Old 03-20-2022, 02:53 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,707,782 times
Quote:
I meant I didn’t know how they handle property ownership. If they were a cohesive community like the Amish where they can be built a house on more communal type property.
You really don't know what you're talking about here. And like I already told you, Mennonites own their own homes/property as well.

https://amishamerica.com/who-owns-am...mmunity-goods/

Quote:
Amish are not like Hutterites where the vast majority of property is shared in common. Amish individuals own private property like anyone else.

Old 03-20-2022, 03:14 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,171,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Spare tires on trucks tend to be full size tires, not the little donuts. However, lots of people use an old tire as a spare, often in bad shape. Which reminds me, my spare is 12 years old, and probably needs to be replaced.
Not only old crummy tires but a Tire only has a life of about 6 years. It may appear to be brand new with low mileage but once it's 6+ years old it can easily fail.

I'm about to replace my 6.5 year old RV tires that only have about 18,000 mile for this reason. Odds are the tire company will resale my old new appearing tires to a guy like this who will be looking for cheap tires for a cheap truck.

Odds are the spare being used on this truck was just an old rotten tire that blew out suddenly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events